Driving to Germany/across Europe - Advice

Ricey

Ok so we've bit the bullet and cancelled the flights/car ETC - instead its 12 hours of driving/being shouted at by Carla for driving a like a mong.

I could do with a bit of advice about sort of unimportant things that are making me a little anxious :scare:

In no particular order;

- If going from Chester is Dover definitely the best/easiest place to get the ferry from.

- If we book tickets for a specific time and miss it can you just hop on the next ferry (people tell me you can but that sound nuts?)

- How easy is it getting on the ferry and how do you know where your going when you get to the docks?

- How easy is it doing the reverse on the way back......is some French type going to launch an onion at my head for being in the wrong lane.

- Some have recommended the overnight ferry which is great but it'll mean being awake for about 2 straight days - 1 of which will be driving on the wrong side of the road!

- Whats is like driving on the 'wrong' side of the road.

- Is there any weird driving rules I should be made aware of (like in America your allowed to go through a red light if its safe......and shoot someone if no one sees)

- Would you take the Zed (maybe 500 to a £90 tank if motorway driving and the 'driving' experience, Sat Nav I've never used) or the Lancer (600 miles to a £70 tank, more boot space and a Sat Nav I'm already familiar with). Money isn't really an issue but I'm still stinging (or more accurately Carla is!) from cancelling the flights and only getting £50 of £250 back (a special letter has already been submitted to complain!).

- Do I need to modify the car in anyway to be legal on Euro roads?

- Would you recommend a night in France on Bruges on the way to Deutschland?

As always your sage counsel is appreciated :snack:

Rather timely your post, I will be keeping an eye out for the replies from the wise as I will be doing a little road trip myself this summer.

As far as I am aware your car needs to have a few things for the trip. Not 100% but I believe you need the following.

Warning triangle

Mods for the lights to adjust the beams

First aid kit????

Yellow jacket, umm sure there were a few more requirements. I bet the AA website will have the details.

I noticed in halfords that they are doing a deal on all this stuff which is convenient.

Good luck with the road trip :thumbs:

- It should be pretty obvious what to do at the docks, just follow other cars and people in hi-vis vests pointing (important note though: if someone in a hi-vis is pointing at something blue and wavy it's probably some joker trying to get you to drive into the sea)

- Driving on the wrong side of the road isn't too bad, you adjust pretty quickly. Toll booths are a pain if it's just you in the car but with a passenger you'll be fine. Passengers also come in handy if you're thinking of overtaking and can't see clearly around the vehicle in front.

- No weird driving rules that I'm aware of except that on the autobahn's there are some magical signs (they look a bit like our "national speed limit applies" signs) which mean you have to put your foot down and keep accelerating until the car won't go any faster (assuming conditions, traffic levels etc are suitable).

- If you can fit everything in the boot of the zed, take the zed. If you can't fit it all in, take less clothes and still go in the zed.

- If you're planning on driving after dark you'll need to attach head-lamp adjuster stickers to your lights. WH Smiths, Halfords etc etc sell them, if you've forgotten to get any you should be able to get some on the ferry.

- In France you need a hi-vis vest for everyone in the car and they need to be in the passenger area with you.

- I think you need a warning triangle too, spare bulbs are recommended but not a legal requirement (I think).

Have fun and be careful where you leave the car in France, in general the French can't park and they don't care at all about hitting other people's cars when they're parking.

I like posting links, they dont lie. And the AA know what they are talking about ( apart from one meeting i attended when they started slagging alchohol. :boxing: ).

http://shop.theaa.com/content/driving-in-europe

If you are getting an early ferry I would suggest a travelodge near the port, you dont want to ruin the experience by being tired.

I will get my mate to post up some info on ferries. :)

LEXX.

If going from Chester is Dover definitely the best/easiest place to get the ferry from.

I'd say so.

If we book tickets for a specific time and miss it can you just hop on the next ferry (people tell me you can but that sound nuts?)

Check your terms and conditions, I wouldn't risk it, I know you can get on an earlier ferry if you tip and there's spaces

How easy is it getting on the ferry and how do you know where your going when you get to the docks?

It's well sign posted and you'll get a post code for the satnav off of the ferry operators site.

How easy is it doing the reverse on the way back......is some French type going to launch an onion at my head for being in the wrong lane.

Haha, no, it's more evident where to go on the French side.

Some have recommended the overnight ferry which is great but it'll mean being awake for about 2 straight days - 1 of which will be driving on the wrong side of the road!

They're ok but expect to pay an arm and a leg, I'd go for a quicker crossing then a hotel after a few hours.

Whats is like driving on the 'wrong' side of the road.

Really easy, just stay relaxed and generally continentals are more courteous, keep a sharp eye on the M way exits/entries, remember it may seem like you're going the wrong way.

Is there any weird driving rules I should be made aware of (like in America your allowed to go through a red light if its safe......and shoot someone if no one sees)

In France you have to use dipped headlights in the rain, also the hi viz vests (you need two), must be accessable from the driving cab. In Belgium, I can't remember, in Germany, have good lane discipline, you'll also need a full set of replacement bulbs and for some countries 2 warning triangles.

Would you take the Zed (maybe 500 to a £90 tank if motorway driving and the 'driving' experience, Sat Nav I've never used) or the Lancer (600 miles to a £70 tank, more boot space and a Sat Nav I'm already familiar with). Money isn't really an issue but I'm still stinging (or more accurately Carla is!) from cancelling the flights and only getting £50 of £250 back (a special letter has already been submitted to complain!).

Take the Zed, you'll regret not having it in Germanywhen you hit a de-restricted Autobhan. Just don't take clothes or throw Mrs Ricey's shoes overboard on the ferry.

Do I need to modify the car in anyway to be legal on Euro roads?

Strictly speaking the lights need some of the stickers from Halfords for the lights, they're not expensive and they have a catologue to get the right set, 10 or so big Euro trips I've only used them once, you'll not need them if it's only day driving, unless it rains.

Would you recommend a night in France on Bruges on the way to Deutschland?

Yes, Brugge would be my reccommendation.

Cheers guys :thumbs:

I've just spend the last 20 mins on the AA website looking for that page!

We were thinking of saying up really late on Sunday 3/4am then sleeping in until about 4/5 in the afternoon then driving down about 9pm to Dover and catching an overnighter. Then it was either a toss up between a night in Bruges or cracking on to the Black Forest.

Think we might cancel the first hotel in Germany and just spend a couple of days off in a few places on the way.

Right.

Ferry advice (I worked on the Dover run as Chief Officer, so I know what I'm talking about here)

You're heading North when you get across the channel, so the best ferry to get will be DFDS on the Dover-Dunkerque route.

This lands you a good distance further north than landing at Calais.

Obviously night ferries are cheaper than day ferries. But you can often get good deals on DFDS website if you book in advance.

Is your Zed lowered? If so - be sure to check in as a "LOW VEHICLE". This is extremely important. Otherwise they will try and stick you up on Deck 5, which is a very bad ramp, and more than likely to take your front nose off at the bottom, and your exhaust off at the top.

With DFDS, you booking is for the ferry you are booked on. Although they allow you to travel on the crossing before and after yours without a surcharge.

When you arrive in Dover, come down along the M20, drive through the town all the way. Enter the docks, by going straight on at the last roundabout.

Follow the "car" symbol.

Go through French Passport Control

Follow road to the check-in booths, and aim for the DFDS ones.

They will give you a lane number. Drive round and into that lane.

Easy as that.

Any other ferry stuff, just yell out.

Cheers Lexx - I knew our resident pirates would come up trumps! :boat:

I think once I've sorted the Ferry crossing I'd muddle through - I'm suspicious of anything I've not done before!

I read something on the P&O website that they allow 2 hours leaway - I should imagine like mentioned above it depends on the terms on the website - I'll have a scratch around.

Booking in advance is a little out of the window as we're offski on Monday - looks fairly reasonable though - about £80 there and back.

If you go with P&O, its to Calais only. Which means you are about an hour or so SOUTH. So thats an extra hours driving.

P&O crossing is about 50 mins or so. Same with SeaFrance.

DFDS is 2 hours. but you are not driving, so get a bit more time to relax.

I wasn't really sure what I was looking at, at the time to be honest Al.

I'll check out the DFDS and see what we can sort - it'll save us an hours fuel as well!

I'm thinking an overnighter may be the best so we can miss all the traffic getting down there - its about a 5 hour journey from Chester and I reckon a lot could so wrong traffic wise - suppose the alternative is to get there well before the ferry and just poo about for a bit.

I've never driven for more than 4 hours before..........hope my back can take it! :wheelchair:

Take a late afternoon boat from Dover, 1hr later you are in Brugge. Hotels or B&b's aren't cheap nor expensive but in Brugge they don't like cars, so parking can either be difficult or restricted to parking in their underground carparks which are cheap but not best located. 

Car stuff has been covered, although run out of fuel on the motorway in Germany and they slap the book in your face and give you a heavy fine. 

Watch out for crossroads this can be confusing, I made the mistake of naturally filtering to the left and ended up going down the wrong side of the road, only to be confronted by a mahoosive 18 wheeler! I said to my mate "that truck is on the wrong side of the road" which I then suddenly realised it was me in the wrong and quickly slung the car into the correct lane. I was only 18 at the time.

You will notice motorway driving is a bliss in Germany, the majority strictly follow the retire to nearside lane without fail and move over from the outside lane once they've undertaken their manoeuvre. Oh if you float in the outside lane accidentally and you see a Beemer baiting down at 130+ it's advisable to move over as they don't like using their brakes.  Watch out for the French they flash you whilst in the outside lane yet you have 20 cars in front of you or are stationary in roadworks. I think they just love to flash people.

Try to avoid filling up in isolated villages or motorways they can be expensive. 

Oh if any men in those hi-vis jackets wave at you whilst going through customs, just floor it. They'll be asking all sorts of questions about where you've been, what you ate last night and so on. If you do get stopped make sure you have nothing illegal on you. I've never been stopped but you never know! Like I say floor it through customs otherwise you'll be late to your destination.

(you can ignore the last one if you want :lol:

Most of all enjoy the Autobhan!!!!!!!!!!

Wow DFDS are pretty cheap by comparison too! At least 20 squid less than the others.

Every 2 hours means I've got 2 hour contingency (assuming they will let us on the next ferry slot if we're late) plus whatever I add to the journey time to make sure we're there on time - I can't conceivably see how a 5 hour journey to Dover is going to turn into an 8 hour one - even with the M6 involved!

Bloody British roads! I'll be glad of an Autobahn experience after Chester to Dover!

Wasso the closest thing to illegal is a concealed Degu should one choose to stow away with us. :lol:

Booked! 6am outbound and 6pm inbound - I'm going to do some right name dropping on that ferry Lexx!

Brugge is the first stop for maybe 2 nights then we need to decide which way to go - 1 other night to fill up before Black Forest - any recommendations? Strasbourg seems to be on the way but I'm not sure wheres the most interesting place to go really?

Ok so we've bit the bullet and cancelled the flights/car ETC - instead its 12 hours of driving/being shouted at by Carla for driving a like a mong.

Shout?? :nono:

You know my technique, I 'huff' 'sigh' 'grunt' 'tut' then I hold on to the car like I am in an F1 race!

Thanks for all the advice guys, you are all very thoughtful. We should be safe driving on the way down to Dover.........as I am driving!!

:drive1:teeth:

good luck guys, very jealous! :happy:

just dont loose your passport like I did last week :blush:

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiite! Passports - someone PM me on Monday to make sure I don't forget!

Counterpart for my drivers licence needs rooting out too

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiite! Passports - someone PM me on Monday to make sure I don't forget!

find it now, hold onto it and never let it go! The trip i missed was an all expenses paid work trip driving an XF to germany and back with posh hotel in the middle. I wasn't pleased with myself missing out on that one :( passport still hasn't appeared

If it already hasn't been mentioned you need a warning triangle and First Aid kit. On odd occasions French roundabouts will prioritise incoming traffic rather than traffic already on the roundabout. I saw a couple like that in small towns. Enjoy your break and take lots of photos :D

Pete

Just to clarify, I didn't write the above! Sheite it not a preferred word I would use. P wrote it using my account by accident.

I am really looking forward to this trip :drive1