got some questions for ya ??

Hi everyone , im ryan

looking at a new coupe for myself in may now im stuck between the rx8 and the 350z so got a few questions for those who have lived with the 350z (doing the same on the rx8 forums ;))

1. does it take unleaded or super unleaded??

2. whats the ACTUAL avg mpg not the rubbish they tell you it is?

3. how does it handle on the twisty roads?

4. how far have you got on a tank ?

5. service costs?

6. reliability

7. finally is there any common faults i should be looking for ifi buy one?

any feedback would be great thanks

ryan

I'll have a go at some of them!

1. Super unleaded is what is recommended

2. Typically people seem to get around 24/25 in mixed driving. Without too much effort and a gentle right foot you can get 28. On a specific economy test one owner managed to get a bit more than 30 if I my memory is right. If you really boot it non-stop you can get much lower figures than any of these :lol:

3. It handles surprisingly well. Bear in mind it is quite a heavy car but its very instinctive to drive, has a good compliant ride on the standard set up and responds well to the old slow in fast out approach and a smooth throttle. Its quite easy to go deceptively quickly.

Thats all I've got time for.

Good luck with the other questions - you may get answers from the search button.

Welcome Ryan :wave:

1. Both, but I only put super in mine

2. If I dont reset the comp for a while its always on 24mpg

3. I will chicken out before the car :drive1

4. 435 miles is my best

5. Depends on which one... do a search for servicing. But worth shopping around for prices :thumbs:

6. Not broken down yet, dont know anyone that has :thumbs:

7. Clicky Axel is the main one, make sure all fluids are at the right levels, has a service history. Make sure you test drive a few :thumbs:

I look at the RX8 before I got the Zed, I found the Zed, faster, more comfortably, quieter, less likely to drink oil like there is no tomorrow and better looking B) ...I made the right choice :yahoo:

I hope this helps :teeth:

have you driven both?

I was unsure between 350, rex and s2k at the beginning. After driving them all it was between the zed and s2k - the rex just didnt look good enough or feel fast enough. Love the interior and profile though.

Another thing that put me off was that everytime I saw a RX8 it was been driven by old women :lol:

1. does it take unleaded or super unleaded??

I use Sainsburys Super, lower than the best but a fair bit cheaper, and my car runs great :thumbs:

2. whats the ACTUAL avg mpg not the rubbish they tell you it is?

I average 26-27mpg on my commutes, a bit less sometimes ;)

3. how does it handle on the twisty roads?

It makes my winkie tingle :blush:

4. how far have you got on a tank ?

From London to Newcastle with a bit to spare (32mpg)

5. service costs?

Last service on my Seat Leon was £200, last service on the Zed (P2) was £300

6. reliability

Apart from things I have caused myself by changing things :blush: no problems

7. finally is there any common faults i should be looking for ifi buy one?

Just whats been mentioned, Clicky axle, gearbox can be a problem and clutches go obviously like in any car

any feedback would be great thanks

Do it! :drive1

Rx8.. oil burner and very poor mpg.. the Zed is much better in most respects and not a pretend 4 seater . I get 28 mpg on a round trip commute of 50 miles a day on a good run 30 mpg is quite possible if you dont go mad ... sounds good too. I have to say the Zed is a good all round fun car thats not excessive to run and own...Oh and very easy to service yourself....

ok so if i have £9000 to spend what model should i look for and mileage? i dont want the roadster im a coupe man so its gotta be the coupe! if i get the gt is it worth the extra ££?

:thumbs:

Depends on your priorities. The gt had leather seats and the uprated bose - rays alloys are an upgrade too. But if none of that is important then you can save a bit with standard model. I have the GT but nothing majorly different in spec.

Newer models have more power and a different bonnet I would have a read of the forum/wikipedia... I didnt become a member till i had the z and would have held out i think if i had read the faqs etc

There are imports around as well which can save a bit more but insurance may be slightly higher and there are more variants that can be confusing.

Check out the cars for sale section for ideas of what to expect for your money. And if modifications take your fancy you may find one with all the hard work done for you ;)

I currently have both. The Zed is a lot better in nearly every respect apart from practicality.

RX8 - Handles like it's on rails (in the dry), nice interior, well equipped BUT appalling fuel consumption (I've averaged 14mpg in a year), unreliable engine, problems with rust, engine easily flooded, sounds like a hairdryer, no torque and is driven mostly by women. I really regret buying it now, as it's proving impossible to sell as well.

350Z- Looks fantastic, sounds great, well equipped in GT spec, gets compliments everywhere you go, better on fuel than RX8, uses less oil and faster, BUT interior is low-rent, clutch is a weakpoint, is massively impractical and that's about it.

I should have bought the Nissan in the first place or as the saps on the RX8oc say: "A fat Datsun".

I've just made the choice, did my research and the Zed came out on top out of the 4 options I started with - 350z, S2K, Rex, Supra.

If your wiling to travel a few miles 9k will give a fair choice, I got a UK 06 36,000 miles for under 10K but not the GT (I wasnt worried about the GT options due to future plans for the Zed)

Good luck, hope you find the right car!