RAF Tornado jets join Libya operations

choptop

Here we go again!

Why is it we are yet again getting involved is someone else's problem. It is not that I do not agree with David Cameron's centiment about trying to stop what is going on in Libya and to it's people, but why is it that we always get involved. Our military have been hit hard enough recently with cutbacks and we are fighting an ongoing campaign in Afganistan. We are not a superpower and it is about time we realised this :angry:

What do others think or am I just starting to become like Victor Meldrew?

Agree with you whole heartedly. I'm ex military and I'm fed up with our succesive governments thinking we are the worlds police force. I don't want to see any more coffins being carried on TV, it's heartbreaking.

We should start to secure our own borders rather than looking after everyone elses.

How strange that the president in USA only a few days ago, gave a press conference at his alter and thumped his fist down saying

We will NOT get involved.

Yesterday he announced that the USA were getting involved......W4nker

I got a mate in MOD and he said it wont break out into War cos of our commitments in afghan.... we simply havnt got the resources to do so....

He reckon we will just enforce the no fly zone, by sending a few jets up, and he will back down.....

I cant see that happening somehow, the guys a lunatic!

I have a few mates on standby now for Libya and they are ground troops we may not be going in with 1000's but i bet we will stick some ground troops in.

If you look at previous conflicts over the last 20 years

Falklands No fly zone broken ground troops went in

Bosnia No fly zone ground troops went in then UN took over

Kosovo No fly zone ground troops went in Un took over

Then you have Iraq and Afgan which i totally agree with as a serving soldier, fight them on there own ground rather than let them come to the UK and repeat 7/7. Yes it may do with OIL but if we dont have it then alot of things in the world will stop.

Here we go again!

Why is it we are yet again getting involved is someone else's problem. It is not that I do not agree with David Cameron's centiment about trying to stop what is going on in Libya and to it's people, but why is it that we always get involved. Our military have been hit hard enough recently with cutbacks and we are fighting an ongoing campaign in Afganistan. We are not a superpower and it is about time we realised this :angry:

Can't agree with you mate, we are still one of the largest economies in the world and have probably the best trained and most efficient fighting forces in the world, it will be a sad day when this country bows down to fanatics and lunatics and says is none of our business, if our parents had said that we would probably be speaking German now.

Here we go again!

Can't agree with you mate, we are still one of the largest economies in the world and have probably the best trained and most efficient fighting forces in the world, it will be a sad day when this country bows down to fanatics and lunatics and says is none of our business, if our parents had said that we would probably be speaking German now.

+1 I have to agree :thumbs:

A load of Typhoon's have just taken off from RAF Coningsby. Lets hope they get the loon he should have been taken out years ago imho especially after Lockerbie.

I have a few mates on standby now for Libya and they are ground troops we may not be going in with 1000's but i bet we will stick some ground troops in.

If you look at previous conflicts over the last 20 years

Falklands No fly zone broken ground troops went in

Bosnia No fly zone ground troops went in then UN took over

Kosovo No fly zone ground troops went in Un took over

Then you have Iraq and Afgan which i totally agree with as a serving soldier, fight them on there own ground rather than let them come to the UK and repeat 7/7. Yes it may do with OIL but if we dont have it then alot of things in the world will stop.

+1

As an ex rock ape (RAF RGT) and reservist i simpathise for our troops in yet another conflict. BUT we can not standbye and let another dictator like Hitler and many more after him use and abuse his nation in this 21st century. The upheaval in the Arab world i hope is leading to better things and will i hope secure the future for my children.

As an ex rock ape (RAF RGT) and reservist i simpathise for our troops in yet another conflict. BUT we can not standbye and let another dictator like Hitler and many more after him use and abuse his nation in this 21st century. The upheaval in the Arab world i hope is leading to better things and will i hope secure the future for my children.

Absobloodylutly ! This will eventually lead to far greater stability in the middle east and anyone who shoots people when they disagree get whats coming.

Best wishes to our boys and girls, be careful out there!

And if you think we are not involved in the middle east and it's not our problem i rather think you have missed out on the last 600 years or so. Look up Templar Knights and work forward. :)

I would rather we didnt have to do this but am afraid its well past the point where we can sit and watch.

I am very pleased at the way it has been set up and 1073 would seem to give the coalition a mandate to take action which should maintain the best level of safety for our servicemen.

Hopefully removing the idiots ability to hit out may convince the people to get rid of him.

It has a nasty deja vu feel about it though.

Interesting comments for and against.

My question is where are Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland etc etc who all have very capable Air Force's who could do the job. Why is it up to us?

I am all for standing up for people's rights, but every time, without fail it is us that get involved with a cost to us, the British Taxpayer.

Let's put it another way. 112 Tomahawk Cruise Missiles were launched at a cost of £330k each. We have not been told how many of these were British ones but let's say we launched 30 of them at a cost of £10 Million pounds to the UK Taxpayer.

It costs approx £1 Million Pounds to run a Special Needs School per annum. So if you used this money to look after them you could run 10 of them for a year. Worth thinking about :dry:

Do we see other European Union Members contributing...........no! That is what gets me. Other Countries need to take their fair share of costs. We are meant to live in a democracy after all aren't we? Only when it suits I think. In the past we were a superpower, but we are not anymore. Well done to France, Italy and Spain for doing their bit.

Thats my view anyway.

I wonder what will happen when the Falklands kick off again, because be sure it will. I wonder how many people will help us then. :dry:

Interesting comments for and against.

My question is where are Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland etc etc who all have very capable Air Force's who could do the job. Why is it up to us?

I am all for standing up for people's rights, but every time, without fail it is us that get involved with a cost to us, the British Taxpayer.

Let's put it another way. 112 Tomahawk Cruise Missiles were launched at a cost of £330k each. We have not been told how many of these were British ones but let's say we launched 30 of them at a cost of £10 Million pounds to the UK Taxpayer.

It costs approx £1 Million Pounds to run a Special Needs School per annum. So if you used this money to look after them you could run 10 of them for a year. Worth thinking about :dry:

Do we see other European Union Members contributing...........no! That is what gets me. Other Countries need to take their fair share of costs. We are meant to live in a democracy after all aren't we? Only when it suits I think. In the past we were a superpower, but we are not anymore.

Thats my view anyway.

I wonder what will happen when the Falklands kick off again, because be sure it will. I wonder how many people will help us then. :dry:

The cost of few missiles is peanuts compared with the cost to UK companies not being able to get oil out of Libya.

You're wrong to say the European Union is not contributing, and who knows what is going on behind the scenes, just because Germany for example isn't up front doesn't mean that they arn't helping to fund the exercise.

Coalition forces

US: Cruise missiles fired from USS Barry and USS Stout; amphibious warships, submarines and command-and-control ship USS Mount Whitney. Air strikes by fighter jets and B-2 stealth bombers

France: Air strikes by Mirage fighters and Rafale jets; Awacs surveillance plane; Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier sailing

UK: Missiles fired from submarines; Typhoon and Tornado jet fighters; surveillance planes; HMS Westminster and HMS Cumberland; Using Akrotiri military base in Cyprus

Italy: Nato base at Naples understood to be central hub; other Mediterranean bases made available

Canada: Six F-18 fighter jets and 140 personnel

Forces from Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Qatar Spain, ready to participate

I also think that this action sends a message on a wider scale that the world has had enough of people like this thinking they can do what they want. The concerted effort by so many nations is a clear sign.

As for the Falklands, its unlikely that anyone would ever get near in the future.

As someone old enough to remember..as I do, I Remember Lockerbie where hundreds of inocent people where killed and also a lone W.P.C. Called Yvonne Fletcher, shot down outside the Libyan Embassy. All Bastard Terrorists

Enough Bloody Said as far as i am concerned Being EX Forces

I also think that this action sends a message on a wider scale that the world has had enough of people like this thinking they can do what they want. The concerted effort by so many nations is a clear sign.

As for the Falklands, its unlikely that anyone would ever get near in the future.

I was also in the Falklands and Know it wasnt nice to loose a lot of mates

wont be long before secret / mercenary ops will be in place, infact, its probably been going on already. assassination of the arsehole would be a good chunk of the job done i reckon, as i think a lot of his forces are carrying out his orders for fear of him and his closest loyals

Special Forces were in to pull out the Britains left in the desert.

I have friends that were based in Libya that are now out and safe - thankfully. My neighbour had a a hell of a time in the desert and beat the special forces by a few hours when a charter plane arrived. Friends of mine (working for the same company as me) left by Charter jets and boats.

The problem with 'taking him out' is that what happens to the country? War for power? His son or one of his loyals step in the uphold his regime? Instant peace and democracy?

I have a feeling it's going to be unstable for quite a while!

I was hoping that the opposition would be able to overthrow him on their own :shrug: . Unfortunately, although I'm not a fan of military intervention I feel that now its started we have to see it through. My main concern is that it'll end up as a stalemate with Libya split into 2 parts.

Pete