Hi folks - new owner with headroom issues..!

Howdie folks :wave:

After two plus years in a DC2 Integra (faultless in almost every respect and already missed, but it was time for a change), I've just bought an 08 plate UK 350Z 313 GT, totally standard with low mileage and in fantastic nick. I'm enjoying it very much, though haven't had many chances to show it a decent road yet. Loving this thing called 'torque' (I'd heard rumours it existed, but always thought it was a myth... ;) ), plus the noise even through the standard breathing setup (which I'll likely keep) is fantastic. Looks are B) too.

The one fly in this otherwise myrrh-like ointment is a dawning realisation that I just don't *quite* fit :doh: Yes, I've driven the Zed with equivalent seats before, and yes I test drove this one, but you know when you just convince yourself that it will all be fine..? Well, anyway, I'm around 6'4", not excessive, but the combination of much of that being a pretty tall head, plus a dodgy lower back, means squashing down is giving me some trouble. To the extent that after just one week with the car, I was starting to think about getting rid.

I'm considering another route though (and no, not some self-adjustment :bangin: ). Much as I generally dislike modifying cars, swapping the driver's seat to an aftermarket model without all the electrickery underneath could I reckon give me some more inches up top. I've looked at some Bride seats, but for a combination of reasons I've come round to looking at a Recaro Speed. Firstly, it's very similar to the DC2 Recaros, which i got on fine with; secondly, it's more like 500 notes than 800; thirdly, I saw a thread on here by hotrain69 (who was selling some Speeds) that suggested they fit just fine in the Zed using Bride rails.

What I'm really after is an estimate of whether going down this route would free up any more headroom over the standard GT items on their lowest setting. Ideally I'd like an extra two inches (yeah yeah... :blink: ), but anything is a plus. Also, the ability to put the car back to standard before I sell it is important (read: I'd rather not have any more holes drilled in the floorpan if I can help it).

Any info or suggestions would be most welcome, either from members' experience or pointers to official floor-to-rail-to-squab measurements for either seat. I've PMed hotrain69 for some know-how, but he might be away at the mo.

So, one paragraph of hello followed by four of whingeing and pleading :wacko: About my average...

Great forum by the way, I look forward to exploring, interjecting and whingeing further!

Cheerio,

andy

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new car :thumbs:

there are quite a few tall ones here with zeds that don't have probs, must admit it did take me a little getting used to (6ft7 here) but now ive got no problems and can cope with really long drives no problems. Only back problems I get are from spending hours leaningover cleaning her.

I did have to try lots of different seating positions until it felt right though. I do find the seats hug my bum tight, and i do have to have the seat fairly upright but it feels perfect now. Id keep testing it out before looking at modifying the seats. However if I find headroom a real issue I just drop the roof down ;)

At 6ft4 I wouldn't think you should have a problem tbh. Hope you get comfy

What about seat slightly further forward (might make it a bit harder getting in and out though with long pins), not putting yourself under the highest point of the roof, obviously means knees will be bent slight more, and back reclined a tiny bit more, in theory you should see past the head lining. Adjust the steering wheel too?

Welcome along :wave:

Even though I am not as tall as you, it still took me ages to get my seat in the right position :thumbs:

Ahhhh that's what that was poking out the top of your car Will :lol:

However if I find headroom a real issue I just drop the roof down ;)

I believe the non-gt drivers seat is lower, you lose the leather mind.

This is true.

You have 2 options if you really dont fit, either get a non-GT seat (non leather) as they are lower than the GT, or get an aftermarket which is lower again.

In terms of aftermarket options, Recaro are a good choice (one that I made) and you can run these with Bride rails and make an excellent option altough more expensive than non-GT seats I would imagine (if you can find someone to swap with you).

Make sure first that you adjust the seat adjusters all the way down as this will help. Aftermarket seats will be a good few inches lower though.

Cheers for the welcome all!

Pointers appreciated. I really have played with the adjustment a great deal, with no joy. The problem may ultimately lie with my Max Headroom cranium. I hear Hannibal Lector could be of help...

Going to see Tom at TGM this week to chat through things with him as well; but from the above I can glean that

a) Swapping to a Speed should definitely give more headroom than either the GT or the non-GT seat (by several inches)

B) The Speed will fit Bride rails, which hopefully don't need new holes drilling

I'll keep trying and adjusting the standard item, but if it's not compliant in a couple of weeks, I think it's going to be welcomed to Dumpsville (or at least my mate's attic, where it can rest before I refit it to sell). Will let you know the outcome either way.

Andy

PS - nice to see Mint again. Been years since my MBUK days.

Hi and welcome. :wave:

I'm only a shorty at 5ft 9in with a very iffy lower back.Zed seat (leather) is fantastic for my lower back .

As the others have said it's try try and try the adjustments.Or as you say a new lower seat.

Best of luck.

I understand your problem, I'm 6'3 and I only just fit. I think even just an extra half an inch would mean I wouldn't fit comfortably.

It sounds like you've tried adjusting the seat as much as you can, I think that if at the moment you can drive without it being too uncomfortable then even a small gain, like having the non-electric seats, would be enough to allow you to fit comfortably.