Track car suggestions

HaydnH

Hi All,

My father's recently retired from far too many years in the motor industry so is obviously a bit of a petrol head and is currently looking to get a cheap-ish track car, it might be nice for it to be road legal but that's not a necessity.

Sadly the Tommy Kaira R34 Skyline he was looking at got sold before he could get it... maybe that was a little heavy for pure track use anyway. He's currently looking at a Caterham which seems fairly tidy - looks more like a road play thing than a track car to me (still fun though I bet):

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2532998.htm

Thanks for the suggestions,

Haydn.

Caterham would certainly be my first choice for a cheap low maintenance track toy. :drive1

A set of tyres and brake pads will last you a season :yahoo:

Alex. :)

I reckon a Caterham would be great for me at 11 stone, my dad's almost twice my size though so I would've thought something with more power would suit him better... Maybe a hayabusa westie perhaps. ;P

Haydn.

radicals?

the westfield is great and even at twice your weight its still a great car, been out in a couple with driver and passengar and it copes fine with the weight.

i'm not light at 18 stone ;)

for a cheap track toy anything light weight and probably kit car form is going to be good.

OK - I've found a Westie with a 4.8L V8 producing about 500BHP per tonne... and it's only a few miles away from where my dad lives - I'll get him to go down for a test drive.

It's a rover engine with TVR bits so may be fairly expensive on the maintenance side though.

They also have an Austin Healey 3000 replica with a 5.7 litre Chevrolet V8 which could be cool!

MX5, can do lots to them and they are light and manouverable. Then you can either drive them to the track and home or trailer them back and forth.

Was just going to say that - my mate has one for track use only and took me out in it a few months ago for a few laps - was great fun.

OK - I've found a Westie with a 4.8L V8 producing about 500BHP per tonne... and it's only a few miles away from where my dad lives - I'll get him to go down for a test drive.

It's a rover engine with TVR bits so may be fairly expensive on the maintenance side though.

I hate to say it, but that's going to be nigh-on undriveable on anything other than slicks on a very dry day. You'll constantly be pointing backwards unless you're Jenson Button, although you're Dad might well be capable of handling it for all I know.

If you imagine that an R500 doesn't exactly hang about, and that's got a much lighter engine up front...