Microsoft or Mac

rtbiscuit

What platform do you prefer  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What platform do you prefer

• Microsoft based PC
    • Mac based PC
    • Other

When i was 9 my dad bought our first mac, a mac plus (it appeared in Star Trek IV!) :teeth:beige-mac-plus-208.jpg

Been using Macs ever since (including buying a Umax Pulsar 1500 clone in 1997..Apple share were literally worthless back than), but in the last few years i've been thinking about switching to windows...used windows 7 at work and to be honest theres hardly any difference between Windows 7 and OSX i find it hard justifying paying over the top for the same hardware just because its made by Apple....

if you really want to use OSX you can always build your own "mac" for half the price of a Apple machine..http://lifehacker.com/#!5672051/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-mac-and-install-os-x-in-eight-easy-steps..of course you wouldn't get the "Apple" logo with the machine..which i understand these days are worth nearly the same as a Audi badge gram for gram :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has already been said it depends on what you want your computer to do. If you are a Graphic Designer than it has to be a Mac. Personally I hate the way Apple tie you in to buying more and more of their stuff........it is just huge Marketing Hype and for that reason would go with Microsoft/Windows 7 every time. :thumbs:

and Mac's don't have the software I need (AutoCAD).

not sure that's correct :surrender:

http://usa.autodesk.com/products/mac-compatible-products

anyway you could run Parallels :thumbs:

You're right, it is do-able but the windows emulators don't like the more intensive aspects of AutoCAD (3D etc). I've looked into it for clients who are Mac based - there is a native AutoCAD 2011 for OS X but it has A LOT of issues.

Besides if I was a Mac user I wouldn't want to see MS Windows on my machine. It's a real lifestyle choice, the comparison to the Audi brand is good - it's great marketing and product design (Job's team are awesome) but I'm not buying into it, mainly because of the limitations Apple place on hardware and software. Plenty do though and fair play :thumbs:

I'd echo a lot of previous posts. For years as a family we have had PC's and put up with them, believing all the Mac stuff was hype and 'fashion'.

#1 son got a macbook at Christmas 2009 and he is a gamer. We got an iMAc in Feb 2010, #2 son an iMAc in June 2010 and the in laws started out with an iMac later in the summer.

Apart from wishing we had shares, should have done it sooner. Cost more sure but with ours I got all the software I need bundled and the support is first class.

There is simply no comparison. The functions that are not automatic are intuitive.

If you want to spend more (eventually) and build yourself a custom machine that you will then spend regular hours maintaining then fine, a PC is the natural choice. If you want to buy a cheap machine, get your software shall we say for free, are happy to turn your machine on and put the kettle on while it boots up, again fine get a PC.

A Mac is a bit like a Zed, not cheap but puts a smile on your face - well 99% of the time.

Get a mac, and if you feel you need to run a microsoft OS on it then do so, i know many many people who have Windows 7 on there mac as well as the latest Mac OS. it's capable of handling both without breaking a sweat. problem sovled. If i didn't just use the computer for web browsing and itunes these days i'd have a mac!

Just bought our second mac and it is a thing of beauty. Saved £150 buying a refubished one from the Apple website and IMHO it is a brand new machine. I've worked with PCs for 25 years and will never buy another one. I just don't need the b*ll ache. (and don't play games)

I want a machine that turns itself on in 10 seconds, doesnt suffer from software rust (ie gets slower and slower despite rebuilds) and looks fantastic.

I think it comes down to your budget and the fact that your after a laptop.

I run both and use them for CAD software (3ds max on windows and less often maya on mac) and can hardly tell a difference. the windows laptop seems to just manage when you run multiple CAD programmes and the iMAC's screen sometime makes work look better but overall there is so little difference. windows have closed the gap on apple in terms of OS stability. I have exactly the same number of crashes and data loss despite the fact that I use the laptop much more.

If DELL had sold the XPS 17 6 months earlier I would have bought a cheaper less powerful iMAC.

This argument seems to go on forever!!

Its one of those things, macs are you get what you pay for - yes they use mostly pc parts, but they use all the right ones together, and then software is customised to make all those parts work to its top ability.

Some PCs give you kick ass parts and then budget parts too, hoping you dont notice, ... like putting brembo brakes on a ford ka. :headhurt:

It all depends on what you want. In my opnion tho, if you want less hassle, less virus worries, less mucking about with running extra software in background like CC cleaner and AVG etc. go mac all the way. If you can afford it and afford the lack of portability go for the 27" i7 mac, I use it for creating 3d animation and video editing and it works like a dream. - just dont upgrade the RAM with apple, - buy it from crucial.com

if you want to get a mac laptop

DONT BUY ONE THIS WEEK

Apple are launching a new range of the mac book pro, next week. Dont get a top of the range mac book pro either.

I get my students to buy the basic 13" MBP and then go to crucial and put another 2/4 gig ram into it.

Then go to play.com and buy a 21" screen, best set up, and cost effective!!

good luck!

got so pi**ed off with it today i did a factory reset on the desktop.

runs brilliantly now; alot faster,

slight down side is i think i deleted our wedding video footage which i forgot to save to disc first :blush:

Yes, but that is more of a PEBKAC or PICNIC error rather than an OS error :p

Been building my own pc's now for 15 years and would not change. I like to do a bit of gaming so the Mac is a no go for me in this department. Windows 7 is the best windows OS to date :)

Like you building my own (And everyone else's who knows me for years) The first Computers i worked on had a 1Mb hard drive. :lol: God how far we've come.

Windows 7 is just spot on. I see the alure of Mac, but the price is prohibitive and repairs mind blowing. Although I'd be lost without my iphone.

Always give AMD a look too. The PC I built for myself Xmas 09 is AMD based Phenom 11 955 Black edition over clocked and stable at 4Ghz. with lots of RAM and a Solid State system hard drive, not forgetting the massive Vapour X graphics card. Its just unreal to use for anything. If you want to just use a few apps and dont need the power, build one on a budget to match. easy nowadays. :D

Mac stuff is great if ;

A ) You can't / don't want to get deep down n techy with your computer, ie upgrades etc

B ) You like to pose

C ) You like wasting money

Otherwise pc and HTC all the way :D

Seriously though, there isn't much in it these days, I just like the upgradability of pc's and Mac's don't have the software I need (AutoCAD).

Haha that last bit had me going. I have a laptop running Win7 and an HTC Desire HD. I'm not a fan of Apple to be honest, buying an Apple product does something to people, they suddenly believe they are the elite :lol:

i have my xbox for games, but when it comes to processing power i need more than a web browsing word processing computer. i Run photoshop, illustrator, 2d design, cam software, adobe premiere. as well as a music and videos etc.

basically image editing and some light video editing, as well as music and video storage.

i find my windows based pc's have started off feeling quick but start to bog down after time and then i scrap them plus my widows based pcs' always seem to have glitches etc.

Big problem with PC's is they come with alot of 'bloatware' and collect apps that like to run in the background with a quick launch startbar icon. You need to learn how to clear all that @*!# off and it will go back to being as quick as it was out the box the day you first bought it. :thumbs:

new apple makes use the intel i7, i5 and i3 processors.

Quoting what processor a computer have doesnt give any indication of what the machine is like overall. A point manufacturer's like Dell exploit to the expense of layman's. They just stick i7 and a huge price tag on it and let people think its mustard.

What about the motherboard, the speed of the ram, cache, the graphics card etc. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link!

Doesnt matter if you've got a liquid nitrogen cooled, superconductor processor if it's linked to piece of @*!# components!

new apple makes use the intel i7, i5 and i3 processors.

Quoting what processor a computer have doesnt give any indication of what the machine is like overall. A point manufacturer's like Dell exploit to the expense of layman's. They just stick i7 and a huge price tag on it and let people think its mustard.

What about the motherboard, the speed of the ram, cache, the graphics card etc. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link!

Doesnt matter if you've got a liquid nitrogen cooled, superconductor processor if it's linked to piece of @*!# components!

Well said. It is so easy to build your own PC if you have a good quality motherboard and good instruction book. Would never buy an off the shelf PC again, would always build my own :thumbs:

Big problem with PC's is they come with alot of 'bloatware' and collect apps that like to run in the background with a quick launch startbar icon. You need to learn how to clear all that @*!# off and it will go back to being as quick as it was out the box the day you first bought it. :thumbs:

That's a problem with MS Windows - not PCs! A PC is the hardware, you can run Windows, Linux, even MacOS on a PC (although that's a little awkward)!

Big problem with PC's is they come with alot of 'bloatware' and collect apps that like to run in the background with a quick launch startbar icon.

You mean totally unlike OSX which leaves bits of programmes floating around all over the place in use? ;)

I've got both, I like both for different reasons. Pre-Win7 I'd probably have said go for a Mac if you're not ever going to game, but since Win7 is on a par with OSX for just about everything you'd have to be mad to pay Apple prices when you can get the equivalent PC for half the price. And that's coming from a self-professed iWhore! :D