Any IAM members on here?

slimjim

Did IAM a long time ago. Was ready to be passed to a Senior Instructor but something came up unexpectedly that took up time for nearly a year so never got round to test. Can recommend it to anyone though; definately a bonus with our cars for sure.

"What if?" has saved me a few nasty bumps.

Good luck with your test mate :thumbs:

Bradders

Yup.... The whole lot....

Used to be that it was "free" ... all you had to do was train someone else when you had passed.

but now it's £135 for the whole thing... which includes 2 years for you to pass I think.

Pretty sure, if you fail, you have to pay for the test again (which is like £30 or something)

Sounds like a good idea. Just looked at their website,it dont say where abouts they do the training,is it on a track or something,or on the road?

Training is all on road, in your car, with an observer.

Basically, they go out with you, let you drive at the highest quality you can. Then stop you and tell you how SHITE you are at driving :D

lol,sounds like fun!

At work now we have to pass an exam with Adrian Newey's driver,before we can drive any poll vehicles,not the same thing i know,but this would help.

How many observations/lessons do you get?

As many as you need....

It is all down to when you and your observer can meet up. Nothing "official" just when you and him/her recon you are ready for your "pre-test" ....

I txt/email my observer and we meet up when ever we are both free.

Then you do a pre-test, to see if a DIFFERENT observer things you are ready... then you do your test :)

:doh: you've just reminded me I need to sit my test before July! I did the pre-test assesment as soon as I got the zed - suppose its worth it in the hope insurance might recognise it. The IAM magazine comes through every quarter I think - some good articles sometimes...remember the bloke who did my assessment was quite elderly and drove an X5 - he had problems getting back out the zed :lol:

Sounds like a good idea. Just looked at their website,it dont say where abouts they do the training,is it on a track or something,or on the road?

Training is all on road, in your car, with an observer.

Basically, they go out with you, let you drive at the highest quality you can. Then stop you and tell you how SHITE you are at driving :D

You wouldn't like that, surely? Does it have any bearing on insurance?

Like Geoff I was wondering about Insurance...

Most don't even give discounts for off road parking etc nowadays the sheisters :rant:

+1 with what we've been seeing recently theres probably an insurance statistic that says if you have the IAM you think your shithot at driving and will therefore with think you can drive harder and faster in any weather condition :lol:

.......i tell thee........the world is getting dumber by the minute.

According to their web sire you can get discounted insurance premiums... but I guess who your with will depend if you get any money off

http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/makecontinuousimprovementyournewyearsresolution.html

Hmmm well anything that improves your driving skills is ok with me, shame there isn't more of this kind of stuff in the actual Driving Test :thumbs:

I think all drivers under say 25 should have yearly reviews :p

Oh the abuse I will get for that :lol: I'm sure all the under 25's on here are GREAT drivers :dummy:

Oh the abuse I will get for that :lol: I'm sure all the under 25's on here are GREAT drivers :dummy:

It's the old farts on the road that are the dangerous ones so I think anyone over say 35 should have yearly reviews :p

I'll be doing a 3 day advanced driving course at work next month which should be good, apparently you get some kind of certificate at the end but I don't know if it's IAM or something different.

It's the old farts on the road that are the dangerous ones so I think anyone over say 35 should have yearly reviews :p

I'll be doing a 3 day advanced driving course at work next month which should be good, apparently you get some kind of certificate at the end but I don't know if it's IAM or something different.

FIGHT! :boxing:

:wheelchair: vs :dummy:

According to their web sire you can get discounted insurance premiums... but I guess who your with will depend if you get any money off

http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/makecontinuousimprovementyournewyearsresolution.html

Hmmm well anything that improves your driving skills is ok with me, shame there isn't more of this kind of stuff in the actual Driving Test :thumbs:

By your assumption I should be a far better driver in 12 days :lol:

I personally think the driving age should be raised to at least 18.

ekona's right, its bad habits of long term drivers, and lack of experience of new drivers. still think new drivers are the bigger risk, young lads tend to like to go out in a ball of flames :lol:

my 6th formers are prime example. so far in the last 8 months 9 of the 6th formers have written off cars. :blush:

as for your comments 35 and over should have yearly reviews i am nearer 50 than 35 and in my proffession and experience younger drivers make up a very high percentage of road related accidents and far too many killed due to lack of experience and driving beyond there ability. Please dont get me wrong there are some very good and capable young drivers out there. The key is to be aware of your surrounding and expecting the unexpected. Anyone interested in improving ther driving technique would be advised to toake a look at this book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadcraft-drive ... 0117021687

FIGHT! :boxing:

:wheelchair: vs :dummy: