Any IAM members on here?

slimjim

I don't actually think people over 35 should be tested yearly, I was only saying that in jest to wind up a spurs supporter.

i think your right though, all spurs supporters should be tested weekly, apparently they all drive like numpties :lol:

I was a police advanced driver for over 20 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. The whole method of driving is different from mot pass standard. I briefly joined the IAM but found no benefit from it personally. However I would strongly advise anyone interested in improving their driving technique to join their local group. You will have loads of fun learning and find it a really enjoyable experience plus making new friends.

As mentioned by rothers2901 above "Roadcraft" is a superb book to learn from but you must remember that 'The system of car control' is continually updated as techniques and circumstances evolve and by being a member of your local IAM you should be similarly updated by the parent organisation.

Well slimjim don't be scared. As far as I remember the IAM test is a very scaled down version of the police one. Be confident, don't be agressive. Forward observation and rear view mirror are where extra points can be won on the test. I don't know what commentary is like these days. If you have to do a lot then practice like mad but not on your own. Take someone in the car with you to listen and extract the wee-wee. You will know when you've got it as you can't shut up and then it never goes away - ever! Good luck with your test.

Well slimjim don't be scared. As far as I remember the IAM test is a very scaled down version of the police one. Be confident, don't be agressive. Forward observation and rear view mirror are where extra points can be won on the test. I don't know what commentary is like these days. If you have to do a lot then practice like mad but not on your own. Take someone in the car with you to listen and extract the wee-wee. You will know when you've got it as you can't shut up and then it never goes away - ever! Good luck with your test.

HE HE ... cheers. I had a great drive the other day, so I am pretty confident I will be OK.

The commentary isn't part of the test, but apparently some examiners ask you to do it for a couple of mins.... I can't shut up ever ANYWAY... im a bloomin' blabber mouth :D