IT Guru Help - Crazy computer

SteveW

Do we have any IT gurus on here that might be able to help me?

Basically for no apparent reason I can no longer shutdown my laptop......

If I choose shutdown from the start menu it shuts down, then restarts itself.

If I choose restart it restarts itself (as you would expect)

If I hold the power key until the computer turns off, it goes off then restarts itself......

I don't know why this has started I've not installed anything new not even any windows updates.

I've done a virus scan using latest definitions and nothing has been located.

I've run scan disk on the harddrive (the 5 step one that checks all the clusters etc) no issues found yet it still won't turn off...

Its a Dell Studio 1737 running an official copy of Vista.... any ideas folks?

Many thanks in advance...

Steve

being Dell you should have a backup disk I expect :thumbs:

Dell's normally have a partition on the hard drive labelled recovery ;)

Might also be worth looking in the bios. Some setting relating to the computer starting via the modem or some other automatic start setting. :)

Further info here

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvi ... tvista.htm

If its an official version of Vista then back up what you don't want to lose and then format and reinstall windows, being Dell you should have a backup disk I expect :thumbs:

Probably some kind of trojan or suchlike a lot do not do anything nasty just are a PITA :rant:

Thanks Dave if the Spyware thing doesn't work I'll give that a go, yes the Vista CD is knocking around somewhere......hmm where did I put it....

being Dell you should have a backup disk I expect :thumbs:

Dell's normally have a partition on the hard drive labelled recovery ;)

Might also be worth looking in the bios. Some setting relating to the computer starting via the modem or some other automatic start setting. :)

Personally I would have upgraded from Vista anyway :surrender: complete pile of cack :yuck:

There is usually a reset to default in the bios wouldn't be a bad idea to try that I guess, could be a problem with the power button and nothing software related whatsoever :shrug:

+1 on vista been pants Windows 7 is the only way :)

Tons of info if you google it. ;)

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/micros ... -down.html

Time Required: Disabling the Automatic Restart option in Windows Vista usually takes less than 10 minutes

Here's How:

1.Click on Start and then Control Panel.

Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System from the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

2.Click on the System and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3.Click on the System link.

4.In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5.Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

6.In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7.Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8.Click OK in the System Properties window.

9.You can now close the System window.

10.From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary.

You could try the above to see if that makes a difference, or try a system restore back to a time when it was fine. :)

If you have the original disk, boot it off that then select the repair option, unfortunately not many manufacturers give you a windows disk these days, there's usually a hidden partition on your hard disk containing the O/S.

Pete

Thanks folks. I ran the malware scanner and found 60 malware/spyware items.

I removed them all and now the computer shuts down :thumbs:

I've also disabled the auto restart as identified by Beavis.

Thank you for the step by step guide :#1:

Thanks again

Steve

PS Happy New Year!!!

What do you use the laptop for? Might be an idea to re-install with a free say ubuntu linux install depending on what you use it for. Used to get calls from peopel all the time having issues with their windows boxes due to not having AV or not updating them and or surfint dodgy sites. Got them to install Ubuntu ... haven't heard from them since :p