3D TV

spursmaddave

Was looking around at TV's in the sales yesterday...

Comet have a Samsung 46" LED TV for £899 and saw a demo with Toy Story 3 on BluRay... all I can say is WOW what a picture so clear and the movement was sublime... I want one!

Saw some LED 3D TV's and not convinced this will be any more than a fad, I really really can't see millions of familys all sitting there with 3D glasses on, some of the glasses are £80 too :scare: just a gimmick in my opinion.

So will 3D TV be the Betamax / HD-DVD of 2011 or will it catch on like BluRay & HDTV ?

Must have gadget or overpriced gimmick ?

Discuss :snack:

You do know though that an led tv is still actually an lcd? ;) The led part only refers to the backlight used to light the screen and not the screen itself. :)

Hence why they are slimmer than lcd which typically use flourescent lighting :)

You do know though that an led tv is still actually an lcd? ;) The led part only refers to the backlight used to light the screen and not the screen itself. :)

So a plasma is still better than led?

I have 2 viera plasma's and I am looking at getting a third for the conservatory we are having built in the new year.I want a 50" Panasonic G20,my dad has this model in his and I'm really impressed with it.He paid £1,400,just found it on amazon for £950. :yahoo:

LED /LCD are best for sharpness, as long as nothing moves ! For action etc Plasma is still king. I bought the dog's wotsits from Pioneer 6 years ago for 3K, bloody.fan.tastic. I have only just updated it, as in boxing day sale.

i bought the 50" Samsung - second only to the panasonic(just) - that came with two sets of glasses and a 3d blu ray player for £889 from curry's. it's bloody brill. There is some floaty things in the room but it seems to be more about depth. The image seems to just sink into the wall. Size is everything of course but the 60" is about £2K.

Of course you do know GT5 is in 3D............ B)

have a good look around AVFORUMS for more informed info.

Too early to say. They may be hampered by the fact that a lot of people have only just updated to HD and can't justify the cost of yet another update. I will wait until my plasma breaks down, several years away I hope. Early uptakers always pay a premium price and in 5 years time they'll be cheaper and better,

Pete

So a plasma is still better than led?

I have 2 viera plasma's and I am looking at getting a third for the conservatory we are having built in the new year.I want a 50" Panasonic G20,my dad has this model in his and I'm really impressed with it.He paid £1,400,just found it on amazon for £950. :yahoo:

Wayne my main tv in the lounge is also a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma, the three remaining tv's i have dotted around the house are all lcd 32" the latest which arrived for my sons bedroom on Christmas eve which is a Samsung full hd model with freeview hd.

But for sport and showing off blacks to best effect you cant beat a plasma :thumbs:

The plasma TV's were dirt cheap, £499 for a 50" one, and have to say looked dated and fuzzy...

Yes but what model? If it hd ready then it will be cheap ;) . Its full hd you want. And for regarding looking fuzzy half the shops selling them have retards setting them up.

The plasma TV's were dirt cheap, £499 for a 50" one, and have to say looked dated and fuzzy...

You'll pay more for a Panasonic Viera but yeah, they are cheap compared with 5 years ago. I'm guessing that you'll need a new digibox for 3D as well.

Pete

It all depends what hertz they are running.The one I'm after is 600hz,which is the refresh rate.

carefull about this... 600hz is the bus speed. NOT the refresh rate. It is better but it's relying on old interpretations of that kind of figure.

As for fuzzy plsma, yes they do look like that in the shop when linked to 40 other tv's. get them to connect a blu ray to a full 1080P HD screen and get the popcorn. I nearly bought a non - 3D 60" for the same price as a 50" 3D. But then thought ah feck it, what am i doing ??? I bought the sammy 50 and after setting up is super fabbo.

Be aware, if you are running a AV system you will need HDMI 1.4. I had to buy a new amp too........ I soooo wanted that number plate too.....

DO NOT BUY YOUR HDMI CABLE IN CURRYS !!!!!!!!!

Go to ukhdmi.com real good and real cheap compared to high street. i bought a 4M and a 2M for £45 delivered. A 3M in Currys was £85 :scare::rant::angry:

I treated myself to a 3d Samsung for Christmas and i have come to the conclusion it is a gimmick, watched monsters v aliens , then cloudy with chance of meatballs and and Avatar they were ok watched a couple of matches on sky 3d rugby and football, again just ok novelty soon wore off. Main reason I bought it was for black ops but it was so laggy i gave up after a fee games, so all and all IMHO it is a gimmick, tho I must say the 200hz does make a big difference to sport, my last telly was a 50hz Toshiba.

The plasma screens I saw were full HD and linked up to bluray players and look nowhere near as sharp as the LEDs, I think plasma is fine for the larger room but I sit about 3-4m from my TV so 46" LED is about as large as I want to go really and as sharp as a pin B)

Totally agree with the comment about HDMI cables and unless you need one more than 1m long dont spend more than £5-£10 as you will NOT notice the difference paying more, if you need more than 4m then yes spend a bit more :thumbs:

True that on distance to TV,

Went to Local TV shop looking to buy a replacement TV (remember mine went a month or so ago)

Found myself comparing two, one a Samsung 42" plasma and a Samsung 40" LCD.

Plasma was £399 and LCD was £499 (£429 on play.com, but I wanted it immediately, rather than wait, lol).

Plasma was hooked up to BluRay via HDMI on it own, LCD was hokked up to a Component cable splitter box sharing with 4 other tellys.

LCD was sharper and Plasma was slightly grainy.

Was told by a friend that Plasma is better for sports and such, where as LCD is better for games consoles and such.

I went for the 40" LCD and am very happy with it.

This is the one I went for http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... type=genre

In-Depth review here http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung- ... 728791.htm

Another thing to consider is this,

If you dont use teresterial tv and only Sky etc, you dont actually need to buy a TV with a built in tuner, You can just buy a plasma, led,lcd panel with scart, hdmi inputs. The price for a panel is much cheaper that a panel with built in tuner... :thumbs:

Blacks on the plasma are more enhanced that any other format of TV btw.

I watched avatar on a 50" tv yesterday in 3D and I thought it was awesome but as people have already said the glasses cost him 80 each :scare: he told me that avatar was by far the best thing he's seen in 3D. Some sports were better than others golf he said was very impressive if ur into golf. Some of the football matches were good sone very poor. Personally I hope it takes off and all 3D is of the same quality :thumbs:

we've got a 3DTV in at work. Not worth it IMO for a overpriced gimmick. The additional cost to make programmes or films in 3D is higher so only think for some time that this will be more of a niche thing unless you like sky sports.

Picture only look like 2D but split into 3d planes and who can be arsed wearing glasses to watch TV. You get headaches after 90mins of watching anyway as the flickering of the glasses starts to annoy the brain.