Driving to France tomorrow - any tips?

captain

Oh yes - aren't I sensible. :lol:

Driving from Weston-super-Mare to Poitiers via M5, M4, M25, M20, Chunnel, Calais etc. etc.

Anybody on the route got a weather update and what should I be taking to make the journey easier? (Not counting heroin)

Stay away from the M25 and M20 at all costs, that's probably the best thing to do ;)

I'm only half-joking, most people are finishing work tomorrow so those roads are going to be absolutely manic. Other than that I'd just load up the iPod and be prepared to do a lot of waiting around, just in case. Hope it goes well for you though mate, have a good trip :thumbs:

Tell the French you're from Hartlepool when you get over there. They'll all keep well clear of you in fear.

And it might be worth you taking the M2 off the M25 after Dartford, then crossing town to the M20 via Ashford.

Its always a gamble which of those roads to use. I worked in Dover for a year, and used to just see how I felt on the day and pick one.

Tell the French you're from Hartlepool when you get over there. They'll all keep well clear of you in fear.

And it might be worth you taking the M2 off the M25 after Dartford, then crossing town to the M20 via Ashford.

Its always a gamble which of those roads to use. I worked in Dover for a year, and used to just see how I felt on the day and pick one.

What would your call be then Lexx?

I'm leaving at 10:00 tomorrow morning giving me 22 hours to get the 8:20 Chunnel on Thursday. Staying in Folkestone Weds night.

If only we'd know, mate, we're only just down the road from there! :)

Second time lucky for me. :surrender:

Went to Cuba on 1st December and took 9.5 hours from Somerset to Gatwick. 8 hours on M25 stuck on Reigate Hill.

We could always take the "sensible" car - MX-5. :scare:

Id just keep Traffic Announcements switched on, get over the Dartford Crossing, then if theres no major delays on the M20, take that.

M20 is 3 lanes all the way to the Channel Tunnel.

However, if the SE gets another massive dunmping of snow, listen out for Operation Stack being put into force. That'll upset everyones day.

Having just done a trip down to Bavaria, my main suggestion is go find some very decent screenwash. Almost all available in the UK freezes at -5 or higher which is not good when gunning along a motorway, getting splashed and your windscreen freezing when you put the wipers on. That was far and away my biggest problem.

Having just done a trip down to Bavaria, my main suggestion is go find some very decent screenwash. Almost all available in the UK freezes at -5 or higher which is not good when gunning along a motorway, getting splashed and your windscreen freezing when you put the wipers on. That was far and away my biggest problem.

That there is some sound advice, driving through Germany a few weeks back this was a major problem.

couple of empty pepsi bottles for when you inevitably get caught in traffic just as you need the toilet, of course you will need to pack a funnel if the missus is going with you (handy tip, if you forget the funnel you can fashion one out of the extra bottle!).

Your welcome!

Keep some cash on you... The Gendarmerie will fine you for speeding on teh spot.

If you want to avoid being frog marched to a cash point, wasting time and cash point costs... keep plenty of euros on you (hidden, obviously)

Have fun! :drive1

Or just don't speed :shrug:

Easier said than done, it's not like you have to rag the nuts off the 350 to get it over the speed limit without noticing ;)