My new car......

nixy

My zed is tucked up in the garage - havent had chance to clean it thoroughly yet and can't wait to do that before I tuck it back in bed! This is my new car. It's diesel and I'm very happy with it, was a bargain. The only bummer is the insurance i.e not being able to use my no claims which bumps it up. Anyone got any advice on cheaper insurance when you own two cars?

turnip.jpg

Mm, i must admit i was in a hurry and phoned the broker (Chris Knott) who said I had to have two separate policies. It really bumped it up! No doubt there will be a hefty cancellation charge if i start shopping around now! To complicate matters the zed is an import. I'll have to investigate further!

Thanks Darren i'll check that out. They really do take your eyes out! I asked them if in that case the insurance on zed would be lower as i can't drive both cars at once.............but no! In fact because i've moved from the sticks and onto an estate it's gone up!!!

Nice little runabout looks clean, where have you been Nic, thought you had left us.

I looked at a multicar policy for my Zed and Punto and Jane's fiesta but was still more expensive than 3 separate policies. How many miles have you declared? now you've got two cars I would assume there could be a saving by reducing the declared miles on both policies.

Thanks Darren i'll check that out. They really do take your eyes out! I asked them if in that case the insurance on zed would be lower as i can't drive both cars at once.............but no! In fact because i've moved from the sticks and onto an estate it's gone up!!!

Direct line would not let me carry my no claims over to my other policy either. :dry:

the dreaded post code lottery :thumbdown:

Nice little runabout looks clean, where have you been Nic, thought you had left us.

I looked at a multicar policy for my Zed and Punto and Jane's fiesta but was still more expensive than 3 separate policies. How many miles have you declared? now you've got two cars I would assume there could be a saving by reducing the declared miles on both policies.

Still here Malcolm! Just been so so busy with work - it means I have to actually WORK when i'm in my office - bad times! :thumbdown: Decided to give myself a little treat today!

Yeah, I've got a Clio too, flew through it's M.O.T yesterday :) . Insurance was awkward, I wanted to put my daughter on it who was 18 at the time, but the very mention of the words "18" and "Student" pushed the premiums to like 4 times what I pay for the Zed :scare: .Eventually, I found a company called Fortis who have a policy that allows young drivers who are named on the policy a maximum of 90 days insurance a year. This got the first year premium down to £350 and now I have 3 years NCB it's down to about £220. My daughter is 21 now but the best quote we've had so far is £1100 for her to drive it without any limits.

I find the Clio to be ultra reliable, I've had it almost 4 years and have only had to put tyres, a new battery and wiper blades on it. It's a petrol engine, 1200cc and does 40 to the gallon, paintwork is excellent too :) .

Pete

No they wouldn't Martin! I wonder if it's because of the actual insurer they provide? Both my policies are with Highway as that was the cheapest. I guess I'm going to have to revisit the whole thing when I get chance. And what's really wrong about that is - if i have an accident in it I bet i'll lose the no claims on the zed! They want it both ways i reckon!

Nix - Admiral will give you a multicar policy on the condition you will take the zed over to them when its current policy expires.

So they basically give you a quote for two cars and then when the zeds finished with Chris Knott you transfer it over to Admiral on a pro-rata cost basis. :thumbs:

I did this when I first insured the Zed - the Astra wasn't due for renewal for another six months but they just took it on when it was finished with my old insurer - but it was written in paperwork from the start that I had agreed to bring it over to them for the remainder of the year. So I got benefit of multi car policy - massively reduced cocts for both cars but only paid for six months cover for the Astra.

Mm, i must admit i was in a hurry and phoned the broker (Chris Knott) who said I had to have two separate policies. It really bumped it up! No doubt there will be a hefty cancellation charge if i start shopping around now! To complicate matters the zed is an import. I'll have to investigate further!

14 day cooling off period on insurance policies......may have to pay a small admin fee though. Fees have to be representitive of the costs of administering the work already carried out - excessive means they are putting a post sale barrier in place (the FSA love hearing about these).

Nix - Admiral will give you a multicar policy on the condition you will take the zed over to them when its current policy expires.

So they basically give you a quote for two cars and then when the zeds finished with Chris Knott you transfer it over to Admiral on a pro-rata cost basis. :thumbs:

I did this when I first insured the Zed - the Astra wasn't due for renewal for another six months but they just took it on when it was finished with my old insurer - but it was written in paperwork from the start that I had agreed to bring it over to them for the remainder of the year. So I got benefit of multi car policy - massively reduced cocts for both cars but only paid for six months cover for the Astra.

+1 I did the exact same and saved lots of money they were really good even reminded me it was time to change over second car. :thumbs:

+1 I did the exact same and saved lots of money they were really good even reminded me it was time to change over second car. :thumbs:

Well I did that with Admiral - but wait till you get the renewal - suddenly it goes through the roof - usual thing once they have got you hooked they want to fleece you.

Both the ZED and June's Jazz now with Highway through Chris Knott - from recollection I saved about £300 on Admiral's silly re-insure quote. But both cars are on separate polices so June & I each keep our NCB's going and so we have flexibility next time round if necessary. A nice thing through CK is that you can ring up when adding mods (such as when I added the spacers) with no extra charge.

Unfortunately these days it seems you have to be prepared to swop insurers each year to get a decent deal, unless the one you are with will price match. If insurance companies valued loyalty in the equation with a competitive quote on renewal once they have your business they could dump a whole load of their call centres and stop a lot of this insurance renewal malarky. :dry:

Well I did that with Admiral - but wait till you get the renewal - suddenly it goes through the roof - usual thing once they have got you hooked they want to fleece you.

Both the ZED and June's Jazz now with Highway through Chris Knott - from recollection I saved about £300 on Admiral's silly re-insure quote. But both cars are on separate polices so June & I each keep our NCB's going and so we have flexibility next time round if necessary. A nice thing through CK is that you can ring up when adding mods (such as when I added the spacers) with no extra charge.

Unfortunately these days it seems you have to be prepared to swop insurers each year to get a decent deal, unless the one you are with will price match. If insurance companies valued loyalty in the equation with a competitive quote on renewal once they have your business they could dump a whole load of their call centres and stop a lot of this insurance renewal malarky. :dry:

I'm pretty sure that quoting different premiums for existing and new customers is again a no-no in the FSA's eyes (unless its a one off 'introductory' discount) as it doesn't comply with the 'Treating Customers Fairly' framework that regulated firms have to comply with.

I usually do a quote on the Admiral website whenever they send my renewal then call them to ask why its different.......generally its because I've input something different but once its clarified the 'new' quote you've done should match whatever the phone monkey is saying your renewal is.

Could be wrong but thats my tuppenceworth :shrug: