snow tyre warning!

Stew

Just received this in an email at work. It was not a forward.

All,

Last week a friend of my wife’s had a crash in her car with snow tyres fitted, you would like to think she was doing the right thing with the current weather conditions.

Oh no, not in rip off Britain.

The insurance company would not acknowledge the claim because she had not notified them that she had fitted snow tyres to the car, which they consider a modification from standard.

If you are currently using or plan to have snow tyres fitted it might be worth while checking with you insurance company and informing them of the change.

Regards and safe driving

Unbelievable.

Was on the radio news the other day, some insurance companies are claiming they are modifications so up your insurance or dont insure you so it is true :(.

1) i cant see how a change of tyre is classed as a modification i mean whenever i change my tyres i dont call the insurance and tell them i have x type of tyre so dont see why people rang up in the first place.

2) insurance companies really are stupid for charging people more for improving the safety of a car really does wind me up.

Was on the radio news the other day, some insurance companies are claiming they are modifications so up your insurance or dont insure you so it is true :(.

1) i cant see how a change of tyre is classed as a modification i mean whenever i change my tyres i dont call the insurance and tell them i have x type of tyre so dont see why people rang up in the first place.

2) insurance companies really are stupid for charging people more for improving the safety of a car really does wind me up.

looks like we have hit the nanny state; tell them everything; like what sent airfreshner you have jsut installed, the leaning products you used on the seats; if it was hard or soft water you topped the coolant up with; what you had for dinner last night as it might alter the weight.

I see this as true. On the Porsche forum I belong too a member wanted to fit winter tyres to his daily Merc. Being the sensible type he thought he'd run it past his insurance company. Their reaction... that be £276 please sir! Winter tyres are classed as modifications. Frigging stupid. Did you know it is now illegal to drive in Germany during the winter without winter tyres. This even includes tourists driving through the country. Quite frankly it's a bloody good idea.

I heard someone say today. Although it's an expensive outlay, look at is just buying your next set of tyres early.

Oh, and apparently almost everyone in the UK is out of stock of winter tyres. Stupid country!

Surely if the tyres are legal to be put on then how can this be?

But as you say it is the world gone mad, has anybody contacted the Daily Mail they will love this!

I bet if you had an accident in snow socks or with chains on your insurance would be void too... :surrender:

might be worth letting the snow sock brigade know as well.

I rang my insurance company to let them know I'd fitted some winter wheels and tyres, just in case. They told me that it'd be £22 because it counted as an external modification. I told them I didn't think I should have to pay as I'm making my car safer, and my wheels are original Nissan items anyway, but they still insisted I pay. I made sure to be as polite as possible and asked to speak to a manager and in the end they said they'd waive the fee - it's worth persevering.

I rang my insurance company to let them know I'd fitted some winter wheels and tyres, just in case. They told me that it'd be £22 because it counted as an external modification. I told them I didn't think I should have to pay as I'm making my car safer, and my wheels are original Nissan items anyway, but they still insisted I pay. I made sure to be as polite as possible and asked to speak to a manager and in the end they said they'd waive the fee - it's worth persevering.

i did this with my air filter and exhaust. paid nothing for them as i told them it was a replacement part and they were cheaper than the OWM items. plus neither gave the car any gains in HP.

did have to pay 30.00 for the wheels though. :dry:

Just to follow up. Someone replied saying to contact the ombudsman.

Not sure what the wife’s friend is doing about it.

I phoned my insurance company (direct line) regarding the tyres we have recently fitted and their reply was.

“It does not affect your policy but you do have to notify them of the change both when you fit them and take them off after the winter as snow tyres are considered a modification to the standard car.

If the email was a forward I'd not have posted it thinking it was BS.

They only way this can be enforced is if the tyre in question is marked 'NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE'. Surely fitting a tyre with more grip reduces the chances of an accident and therefore should reduce premiums not increase them? I think a few guys on here (if they have time) should call their insuarnce companies and let the rest of us know if this is true or not.

I think it's bull as your insurance does not stipulate that you have to stick with manufacturer recommended tyres. This would mean everyone running 452's had 'modified' the spec of their vehicle from the manufacturers specification :bounce::bounce::bounce:

I think the reason they wanted to increase my premium was because I was changing the wheels as well as the tyres, if you're just getting winter tyres fitted to your normal wheels then I wouldn't have thought you'd need to tell your insurance company.

It might depend what it says in the 'Hand Book'

On the Freelander

15 inch is 195/80 R15 'All Season' tyre

16 inch is 215/65 R16 'Multi terrain' tyre

17 as 16 (tyre type)

18 inch is 235/50 R18 'All Season' tyre

:shrug: