illegal snow...huh?

varley16

Most people would probably know this already, but i didnt and im sure there are a few others on here that dont know it.

apparently its illegal to drive you vehicle with snow on the roof, the reasons are that if you brake it could slide onto your windscreen and block your view. and the other is while driving, its flicking off the roof into the path of other vehicles.

you could get pulled and get 3 points.

DO NOT WORRY, in the case of snow flicking onto your own vehicle there is a solution.......windscreen wipers.

I've received multiple emails warning of this. What charge does it fall under????

On another note though, please make sure that you clear cars properly. All windows and lights and reg plates (to stay legal) should be cleared. Also make sure the wiper blades are defrosted before setting off.

The amount of lazy people that don't clear their cars properly is shocking!

Meh if the cops try and pull you just swerve violently back and too until the snow flies off your roof and blocks their vision.......make your gettaway at a leisurely pace.

Simples

PLUS....

"Snow on my roof officer? I don't see any... do you?"

As much as it pains me to say it, I reckon the police could get away with charging you on this one. If I were to improperly secure something to the roof of my car..... :lol:

a418d_128913841728946332.jpg

.... and it fell and hit another motorist causing an accident I would be held liable. In the same way, if I decide to drive off with a foot of snow on my roof, and it slides off and causes an accident I would be held liable.

This shouldn't be much of an issue if people clean their cars properly before setting off. It wouldn't be an problem at all if people kept their distance in snowy weather but there are muppets out there who think they can drive in the exact same manner as they would at the peak of Summer.

As much as I agree cars should be cleared properly of snow on windows mirrors wipers reg plates lights and yes ur roof can any plods on here confirm points and a fine? I asked a cop he said he knows nothing about it they don't have time to stop every other driver

It's all a bunch of lies. Driving with your vision blocked is against the law, driving with snow on your roof isn't.

It should be.

Nothing worse than following a car down the motorway with piles of snow flying towards you :thumbdown:

As much as I agree cars should be cleared properly of snow on windows mirrors wipers reg plates lights and yes ur roof can any plods on here confirm points and a fine? I asked a cop he said he knows nothing about it they don't have time to stop every other driver

The Road Policing Unit said that there is no specific legislation on driving with snow on the roof of a vehicle, however if it slips over the windscreen, or flies into the path of another car, it could leave the driver open to being penalised for driving without due consideration, dangerous driving, not being in proper control of the vehicle, not having a full view ahead and windows not being sufficiently clean.

i find a bit of drifting before i hit public roads works well too, and seen as the 4wd on it is broken and i only have rwd atm its easy enough to do :D

:lol::lol: Have you not caused enough damage to your vehicles by 'drifting' recenty? ;)

I think I am turning into the snow police - I don't know why - its got me off work all week! I love the stuff :yahoo::lol:

i find a bit of drifting before i hit public roads works well too, and seen as the 4wd on it is broken and i only have rwd atm its easy enough to do :D

:lol::lol: Have you not caused enough damage to your vehicles by 'drifting' recenty? ;)

I think I am turning into the snow police - I don't know why - its got me off work all week! I love the stuff :yahoo::lol:

in my defence i was intentionally drifting when i killed my zed and this thing is strangely easy to handle in the snow even in rwd, i guess the weight and the chunky tyres help a lot. its just fun. :D

Iv heard of several ppl getting fines and points yet this morning I saw a police van with it's roof covered in snow. That and I asked a cop about the situation and he knew nothing of the operation? :shrug: not the best police work lol

It would appear that rumours are that they could be fined for driving with snow on their roofs.

Checked with Road Policing Unit said that there is no specific legislation on driving with snow on the roof of a vehicle, however if it slips over the windscreen, or flies into the path of another car, it could leave the driver open to being penalised for driving without DUE CONSIDERATION, DANGEROUS DRIVING, NOT BEING IN PROPER CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE, NOT HAVING A FULL VIEW AHEAD AND WINDOW NOT BEING SUFICIENTLY CLEARED.

All which carries their own various penalties

“Any snow left on vehicle bodywork, such as the bonnet or roof, could slide onto lights or windows causing dangerous obstruction to vision of the driver or signals to other road users.

“Any large amount of snow could slide from a moving vehicle and onto a footpath or roadway possibly causing danger or injury to other road users or pedestrians.â€

“Any large amount of snow could slide from a moving vehicle and onto a footpath or roadway possibly causing danger or injury to other road users or pedestrians.â€

I would have thought the pedestrians were more in danger from the large amount of snow that hasn't been cleared from the footpaths even though we pay over £1,000 council tax every year...