What have i done!!!

Simon+Kat

Well i suppose it was enevetable really...for a nob like me at least! I've trashed our baby, well, the back end anyway. :stupid:

Yesterday i nipped to B&Q for some plaster, coming back i pulled away from the lights which are on a roundabout, exited the roundabout onto a 2 lane straight. Thinking 'yeah baby, ESP is so cool for winter driving' i gassed it at about 30 mph before i was straightened up, the back twiched out big time :scare: i thought id saved it but must have over compensated, back end came out the other way and then back again! I then rolled to a halt on the grass bank. I looked around, everything seemed normal, no injuries apparent. So i got out just to give it a quick check over.

What i hadn't realised, is that in that frantic 5 seconds the back had twatted a tree or big bush at the side of the road.......bumper hanging off, boot lid dinged, rear N/S dented in, both rear light clusters gone and new Scorpion exhaust exits both dinged. Gulp...

Luckily i was only about a mile from home so i drove home, after checking nothing would fall off. I Thought Kat would be fuming but, bless her the little honey, she was very sympathetic. What an amazing missus she is, i'm very lucky.

We've decided to use the insurance as we are fully comp with protected no claims, they came and took it away this morning. I'm just hoping they repair and don't write it off, which they do so often these days. I love that car.

It's really made me think though... i feel sick when i think 'what if someone else had been around?'. I need to grow up i think.

And...dont think you can rely on the ESP to save your neck...

It's really made me think though... i feel sick when i think 'what if someone else had been around?'. I need to grow up i think.

Grown up enough to realise you'd made a fudge up. :)

I reckon most of us have done something similarly stupid ( :p ). I know I have, just overestimated the grip I'd have on a **** wrapped road! Fortunately I didn't hit anything, or more importantly - anyone . . .

You live & you learn old bean ;)

Ahhh mate don't beat yourself up. It takes 1 mistake to trash a car - no one was hurt and you'll have a new respect for powerful rear wheel drive cars.

After having frig knows how many accidents myself I don't even bother gunning the Zed at all when its wet...I just don't trust myself to not run out of skill.

Cars are there to be enjoyed....without track days the only other way to learn is the painful way and we've all been there.

Well..look at the bright side..at least u are OK..could have got a lot worse :headhurt:

Have to say, of all the cars i have owned over the years..i probably feel the least safe in the Zed despite the ABS and ESP

Surely a car that fishtail a lot on icy roads says something...

The Zed is like a wild horse that needs to be tamed. Go easy on it in this weather. Hope we have a mild winter this year.

Its a lesson almost all drivers of RWD cars face at some point, i learnt early on to be very carefull in the winter after i spun my mk1 mr2 out coming of a roundabout.

Doesnt sound bad enough to be written of though which is good news i guess.

nice to see someone admitting to their mistakes rather than blaming the diesel spill :thumbs::thumbs: we all take risks now and again and sometimes its just our time to pay for them :blush:

:lol::lol: come on now.......how many of us have stuffed a car and blamed it on a diesel spill....I have :blush:

Hi welcome to the "What a **** I am club" joined mine way back in 1973, ESP what was that, (yep old grumpy now) but it sure teaches you a lesson, never forget they dont have roundabouts on race tracks for good reasons, they get covered in all sorts of crap just waiting for you.

Hi welcome to the "What a **** I am club" joined mine way back in 1973, ESP what was that, (yep old grumpy now) but it sure teaches you a lesson, never forget they dont have roundabouts on race tracks for good reasons, they get covered in all sorts of crap just waiting for you.

You are so right! you think id know better being a lifelong biker too, found plenty of nasty slipperry patches on roundabouts on the bike :scare:

Gutted for you mate. At least you are fine and no one else was hurt. As much as these bumps and knocks hurt our zeds they can be fixed or replaced.

A reminder to the rest of us - with great power comes great responsibility! :p

:lol::lol: someone has been watching too many marvel Comic films