Ridiculously excited new member!

mjw16

Hi all,

Tedious questions from a new boy I’m afraid! – picking up my 2005 gt from the Nissan dealer in a couple of days. Can’t wait!

My last car was a 2001 WRX Impreza. A great car to drive I have to say but I’m expecting the Z to be even more fun, not least because it’s power figures are more comparable to the STI than a lowly WRX. I appreciate it’ll be a very different drive to the Impreza, being rear wheel drive and normally aspirated. Quite looking forward to the consistent pull of a 3.5 though rather than needing to stay ‘on boost’ to get moving.

Anyways, I was fairly clued up on the obvious upgrades to the Impreza, of course being a turbo it was quite easy to get lots more bhp with a decat, induction and remap. The Z though I need to educate myself on. I don’t want to go mad and certainly won’t be going down the turbo or supercharger route, but it would be good to squeeze another 20bhp or so, nudge over that magic 300 mark.

I’ve been looking at the forum and see that a plenum spacer seems to be a good starting point. Does an induction kit and or decat have a worthwhile effect for the cost when normally aspirated too?

Or is that all academic because I'll be so chuffed with it in original form that I won't want to mess with it?!

Any thoughts and advice welcome from those in the know. Apologies for the current numpty status!

Or is that all academic because I'll be so chuffed with it in original form that I won't want to mess with it?!

Everyone's different. Had mine 3 and half years completely standard, loved it, then I joined up here and went to a meet :thumbs: . Just seeing how other people had modded their Zed's inspired me to get a few fairly basic mods, rear spoiler, spacers, nothing that dramatic. Probably do a few more subtle mods before next years meeting season starts though :surrender: . I personally won't be touching the engine, just be wasted on me, but plenty here have had their pre 06 engines remapped, etc and have squeezed 30 or so BHP out of them at a reasonable cost. A couple of people here have gone down the nitrous route too for even more power :scare: .

Anyway, enjoy the car for a day or two first :lol::lol: and welcome.

Pete

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :D

Sarnie - Yes I've driven the Zed but it was the very briefest of test drives and I had to behave as the sales guy was in the passenger seat. It felt like it had a lot to give though! But I won't really get the feel of it until I can collect it and and play for a few hours.. ;)

Hi, I agree, drive it for a month or so and get comfortable with her. Then have a good look around on this site but its certainly a case of "one mans meat" etc.

Re mapping or up revs do appear to give best results, not neccessarily in more horses but in performance. There are our professionals on this site who will be happy to advise you in a unbiased way.

Enjoy your Z and welcome.

:wave:

Ok so this afternoon I get a call from the Nissan dealer to say the car will be prepped checked and ready to pick up on Tuesday morning. Good times!

Then five minutes later a call comes from work asking me to cover a contract in Scotland all next week. So I won't be able to pick up the Zed until Friday pm when I get back. Nooooooo!! :doh:

I still remember the day I picked up my Z, arrived at lunchtime to find i'd left proof of address at home (180 miles away). A frantic afternoon chasing banks and utility companies later and managed to get something faxed to the dealer just before closing so I finally got the car!

the drive home was worth all the messing around and more! Hope you're enjoying your wheels B)