How i stopped my BOSE from skipping.

nicon2k

Hey Guys

I think i may have finally found a solution to stop the crappy BOSE CD player from skipping and its not to replace the head unit!

I have been thinking about it for a while and figured out that the skipping was caused my condensation on the disk and the lens due to temperature variations. I came to this conclusion from the following points.

1. The skipping is always a lot worse when it is wet then when it is dry.

2. Its worse in the cold winter mornings then it is in the summer.

3. Changing the temperature of the A/C significantly can cause skipping.

4. On occasion, when the skipping has been really bad, i have taken the disk out and actually seen the condensation.

So, the solution is simple. Get rid of the condensation. To do that i placed one of those Silica gel packs that you get in shoe boxes in the tape drive (secured with tape).

Since i have done this, i have not had a single skip when before the CD player was almost unusable.

Anyway, give it a try since it costs nothing and takes no time.

Let me know how it goes.

It may be worth gutting a head cleaning tape, filling it with the silica gel packs and using that - easy to install and remove and can be used with the aux hack.

Yeah, the only prob with that is that the air need to circulate around the pack so that any moisture can be drawn in.

Do u have to change the packs at all. Do they get saturated?

Used to use Silica Gell in one or two spots in the house to combat condensation. It lasts several months and changes colour when it gets saturated. There are several commercially available alternatives mainly for use in RV's and caravans which are left standing during winter months when condensation is at its worst. I've looked into these but they're not as versatile as Silica Gell ,take up a lot of space, have a shorter life and are quite expensive too.

Pete

Great tip thanks for the post :thumbs: ... Although as my girlfriend was also reading this over my shoulder I now have to buy her a new pair of shoes to gain said gel pack!! :doh:

:lol:

It's deff worth a shot as mine is REALLY bad! But.... my car is still under warranty so NISSAN! here I come :lol:

Don't see how this can make much difference as the CD part of the headunit is almost sealed like a PC drive:

14_CD_Unit.jpg

Maybe if you sealed up all all those holes and slots on the bottom it would stop warm/moist air entering from the electronics below and fogging up the discs? :shrug:

Don't see how this can make much difference as the CD part of the headunit is almost sealed like a PC drive:

14_CD_Unit.jpg

Maybe if you sealed up all all those holes and slots on the bottom it would stop warm/moist air entering from the electronics below and fogging up the discs? :shrug:

Well, I am not sure why it does work but it sure does seem to help.

There was a member on here called R35LEE i think. He claimed that he could totally fix the head unit for £50. I would have been more then happy to pay this but despite sending a number of PMs i have not had any response from him.

I heard that he was very busy with work and no longer able to offer this service, if this is the case, perhaps he would be able to provide information as to how he fixed the units so we can keep the knowledge within the forum.

When you say "secured with tape" did you just poke it through the tape entry slot and selotape it in place or did you remove the whole unit and tape it in somewhere?

May seem like a silly question but want to try this without possibly filling the head unit with gel from a broken bag trying to stuff it through the slot! :scare:

Cheers

When you say "secured with tape" did you just poke it through the tape entry slot and selotape it in place or did you remove the whole unit and tape it in somewhere?

May seem like a silly question but want to try this without possibly filling the head unit with gel from a broken bag trying to stuff it through the slot! :scare:

Cheers

I just poked it through the tape slot. I never used the tape so i was not too concerned about any potential damage.

:wacko:

u said secured with tape in the 1st post but then u said u didnt use tape?

think its a great idea if it works but i was wondering how u managed to secure it with tape in such a small place and also if the tape covered the gel pack surely it would stop it working?

but if u dont use tape then it would be easier as long as it wouldnt get damaged and tear

:wacko:

u said secured with tape in the 1st post but then u said u didnt use tape?

think its a great idea if it works but i was wondering how u managed to secure it with tape in such a small place and also if the tape covered the gel pack surely it would stop it working?

but if u dont use tape then it would be easier as long as it wouldnt get damaged and tear

Sorry for the confusion, i put a small bit of tape on the sachet and attached that onto the head unit. This was just to stop it from disappearing!

I am sure it will be fine without tape, you might just need tweezers to get it out.

CD's??? what trickery is this? I have this old Ipod MP3 thing, I think they call it? Never heard of CD's ? :lol::p

I would have thought wind-up gramaphones were more suited to your stable of cars :p:lol:

Wind up naaa I have Marconi's latest Wax cylinder technology in my cars! :lol:

Shame there was no 8 track with Doris .... most of them had them :wacko: