Definitive answer to 280 v's 316 HP

crucial

Can anyone definitively confirm that, if the car has a rev counter that redlines at 7500 it's definetly a 316, and if it redlines at 7000 it's a 280? I am having all sorts of problems getting nissan dealers to confirm the horsepower of the cars im enquiring about, and it seems some early bulging bonnet ones may only have the 280 engine in them, despite the facelift bonnet. What is the simple way to tell if it is 280 or 316? I am only looking at roadsters, not coupes, (which seems to make it even more difficult) :blush:

Thank you 350Russ. I am seeing some bonnet bulge roadsters being listed on nissans site as 280's in the specsheet's, could this just be an error on the description's, or is it that some 280 hp engines were put into bulging bonnet models, phoning and asking does not give much information, as salesmen on the end of the phones dont always seem to be sure. The spec sheets on nissans used car locater seem to be all over the place!, many bulging bonnet roadsters are listed as 280's. Confusing.

There is no difference in bhp figures between roadsters or coupe's if they are in the same model year (MY) ;)

The bhp figures you mention above are all incorrect.

(VQ35DE)276 bhp engine was used until approx May 06

(VQ35DE)296 bhp engine was used in the GT4 05 then used from May 06

(VQ35HR)313 though i think that is the ps rating and not bhp was in cars with the bonnet bulge and has dual intakes and i think this was 07 iirc

:)

Been discussed many times before, if you do a search you should find this subject covered. :)

Thank you 350Russ. I am seeing some bonnet bulge roadsters being listed on nissans site as 280's in the specsheet's, could this just be an error on the description's, or is it that some 280 hp engines were put into bulging bonnet models, phoning and asking does not give much information, as salesmen on the end of the phones dont always seem to be sure. The spec sheets on nissans used car locater seem to be all over the place!, many bulging bonnet roadsters are listed as 280's. Confusing.

If they are coming from Nissan and they have the bonnet bulge you can be 99% sure that they are MY07 (313bhp) cars....there is obviously a 1% chance that someone bought a MY06, put a MY07 bonnet on it and then sold it back to Nissan, but that is very very unlikely....

There is no difference in bhp figures between roadsters or coupe's if they are in the same model year (MY) ;)

The bhp figures you mention above are all incorrect.

(VQ35DE)276 bhp engine was used until approx May 06

(VQ35DE)296 bhp engine was used in the GT4 05 then used from May 06

(VQ35HR)313 though i think that is the ps rating and not bhp was in cars with the bonnet bulge and has dual intakes and i think this was 07 iirc

:)

Correct on all accounts Dave. the PS and BHP figures always get noobs confused :p

VQ35DE: 276 BHP = 280PS

VQ35DE Revup: 296BHP = 300PS

VQ35HR: 309BHP = 313PS

Dual intakes is the most distinguishing feature in the HR as mentioned for the nth time :thumbs:

Ok guys, sorry if im boring you. Now heres the reason for my questions, which according some here may consider "noob", however, i hope the forum will accept people like me who, obviously, know a lot less than you guys. Please try to remember, we all come to forums to gain friendly experience, and if we dont ask questions, how can we get answers?

The main reason i am confused, is because if you go to nissans used car search, and put in used 350z roadsters, the tech sheets describe most 07's as 280@6200 rpm. Now, after asking the questions here, it appears this is wrong. I hasten to add, even some bulging bonnet ones are tech sheeted as 280@6200. Only a few of the 08 onwards are described as 313@6800, and maybe 1 of the 07's there has the 313 rating. The reason some of my hp figures were a little out is because i just kind of rounded them up, knowing the experience of members here would know roughly what i meant.

I hope this helps to explain my "noobness".

Thanks.

Not a problem mate, happy to answer any questions you want to ask.

There is always a lot of confusion in dealers adverts and I guess the Nissan dealers have the same problems. The best and most definitive way to be sure is by asking about the double intakes. The 313 engine needs the bonnet with the bulge so it will fit. Some guys put the new bonnet on the older car though so this may cause confusion.

Double intake = 313, 100%. :)

Not a problem to most of us if you post asking for clarification on specifics.

As for dealers specs, you have to remember that Nissan dealers sell Micras and Qashqais. Occasionally someone really inconveniently trades in one of those strange 350 thingies at which point they have to quickly Google some stuff to put on the sales card.

I'd imagine some dealers would have to go away and double check if you asked them for a 4 door 350z.

Nissan dealers aren't known on here for their knowledge of 350zs. Best way clear up if it's a 309bhp model rather than 276bhp or 296bhp model is to see a pic under the bonnet

276 / 296

1790-050-engine-480.jpg

2007-Nissan-NISMO-350Z-Engine-1024x768.jpg

All 309s MUST have the bonnet bulge (not two creases on the bonnet) as the never engine physically will not fit.

The differences between the 276 and 296 can be seen pretty much through the interior.

Feel free to post links to cars that you would like clarification on.

Also, don't worry about the 'noob' comments. Some people can just be arrogant a-holes. Maybe they are suffering from manstration this week. ;)

Ok guys, sorry if im boring you. Now heres the reason for my questions, which according some here may consider "noob", however, i hope the forum will accept people like me who, obviously, know a lot less than you guys. Please try to remember, we all come to forums to gain friendly experience, and if we dont ask questions, how can we get answers?

The main reason i am confused, is because if you go to nissans used car search, and put in used 350z roadsters, the tech sheets describe most 07's as 280@6200 rpm. Now, after asking the questions here, it appears this is wrong. I hasten to add, even some bulging bonnet ones are tech sheeted as 280@6200. Only a few of the 08 onwards are described as 313@6800, and maybe 1 of the 07's there has the 313 rating. The reason some of my hp figures were a little out is because i just kind of rounded them up, knowing the experience of members here would know roughly what i meant.

I hope this helps to explain my "noobness".

Thanks.

i hate all the noob bashing that happens on any internet forum. (TBH this site isnt that bad for it, but the STOC was.)

we have ALL been noobs at some point in our lives. that is what these forums are for.

there are loads of knowledgeable people on here that will answer a question, no matter how stupid!!!! :wacko:

god, i have asked some clangers in the past!!!! :blink::bangin:

Nissan dealers aren't known on here for their knowledge of 350zs. Best way clear up if it's a 309bhp model rather than 276bhp or 296bhp model is to see a pic under the bonnet

All 309s MUST have the bonnet bulge (not two creases on the bonnet) as the never engine physically will not fit.

The differences between the 276 and 296 can be seen pretty much through the interior.

Feel free to post links to cars that you would like clarification on.

Also, don't worry about the 'noob' comments. Some people can just be arrogant a-holes. Maybe they are suffering from manstration this week. ;)

Theres also a slight difference on the timing cover between the 276 & 296 models, A pretty certain way to distinguish between a DE & a Rev-up :)

276 DE

itbtestfit2-011.jpg

296 Rev Up

2dv03sk.jpg

i hate all the noob bashing that happens on any internet forum. (TBH this site isnt that bad for it, but the STOC was.)

we have ALL been noobs at some point in our lives. that is what these forums are for.

there are loads of knowledgeable people on here that will answer a question, no matter how stupid!!!! :wacko:

god, i have asked some clangers in the past!!!! :blink::bangin:

Well said :thumbs: -

We all have to start somewhere and after a while we can start helping others, and if it so boring then just move on ;)