Highest NA Numbers?

Demolition49

So how does this work??? I have a dyno graph from Abbey which says...

282.4bhp

Is that worked out at the hub? So how do I work out the WHP figure?

Time for an update on this list???

If you take off about 15% as an average for drivetrain losses you will get around abouts your wheel HP

So how does this work??? I have a dyno graph from Abbey which says...

282.4bhp

Is that worked out at the hub? So how do I work out the WHP figure?

Time for an update on this list???

If you take off about 15% as an average for drivetrain losses you will get around abouts your wheel HP

Nope dis-agree, on above;

I try not to quote flywheel BHP as the estimate to convert hub/wheel bhp is always a good start to a long debate; It isnt a % loss it is a set figure+ a very small % , it has be discussed so many times; if you use a percentage a car with a 100bhp will have a loss of 15 bhp but the same car with 1000bhp will have 150bhp loss , 150bhp loss in heat is so much it would melt the gearox/rear diff.

A totally stock HR will give around 265/270 hub bhp , so a stock flywheel figure for a HR according to Nissan is 313 bhp , 313 - 270= 43 bhp loss , so add 43 to 282.4 bhp = 325bhp flywheel.

Abbey add 35bhp to the hub figure as a conservstive flywheel figure.

Abbey add 35bhp to the hub figure as a conservstive flywheel figure.

I dont like being conservative, so I will round the 43HP figure to 50HP and quote based on that :teeth: Therefor my car has 360PHP (pub horse power) :lol:

• 8 years later...

Hi All, new to this forum but have been on others over the years. 

Sorry to restart an old post but wondered if anyone has updated/new info on the bhp figures quoted for NA builds? 

Mark @Abbey did a revup remap on my 2003 NA DE last year and I was pleased with the results of 305bhp at the hubs but since then i have installed Berks HFC's and a Mishimoto intake to add to the exisitng mods (while also fixing my rattling timing chain) which are:

Longlife full custom exhaust 

Plenum spacer

BC Stage 2 cams

Racing thermostat 

96.00 pistons (0.5 above standard due to rings failing) 

Cosworth head gaskets

Cheers!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Andy_350GT said:

Hi All, new to this forum but have been on others over the years. 

Sorry to restart an old post but wondered if anyone has updated/new info on the bhp figures quoted for NA builds? 

Mark @Abbey did a revup remap on my 2003 NA DE last year and I was pleased with the results of 305bhp at the hubs but since then i have installed Berks HFC's and a Mishimoto intake to add to the exisitng mods (while also fixing my rattling timing chain) which are:

Longlife full custom exhaust 

Plenum spacer

BC Stage 2 cams

Racing thermostat 

96.00 pistons (0.5 above standard due to rings failing) 

Cosworth head gaskets

Cheers!

Very nice - 305 at the hubs so around 350 at the fly.

Must be a very healthy engine- assume 'stage 2' means around 260° duration? If so, I'd expect around 290-295@hubs with sports cats or decats, so that oversized and fresh pistons is putting in some work. Maybe better compression than OEM, plus slight displacement increase.

I'd not be surprised if re-tuned now with HFCs if you made 310-315 at the hubs. Very impressive given the mods.

3 minutes ago, msitpro said:

Very nice - 305 at the hubs so around 350 at the fly.

Must be a very healthy engine- assume 'stage 2' means around 260° duration? If so, I'd expect around 290-295@hubs with sports cats or decats, so that oversized and fresh pistons is putting in some work. Maybe better compression than OEM, plus slight displacement increase.

I'd not be surprised if re-tuned now with HFCs if you made 310-315 at the hubs. Very impressive given the mods.

Hiya, They are the 264 duration, part number BC0221 if you wanted to look them up. I think it was the maximum I could go without further internal upgrades although I went with upgrading the valve springs from BC (Brian Crower) while I was in there as well. Definitely has good compression and from memory i think it was higher than OEM but i can't remember the figure (done 7.5k since the build). Yes i think 310+ would be about right but Abbey is a long way from me so i won't be visiting them/Mark anytime soon (sorry Mark :)

Hamlins engineering in Bridgewater did the re-bore and fitted the new pistons for me while checking all tolerences etc. (I just delivered the block) very happy with thier service i must admit and it shows performance wise gathering what others have achieved from NA set-ups. 

On 09/06/2020 at 18:02, Andy_350GT said:

Hiya, They are the 264 duration, part number BC0221 if you wanted to look them up. I think it was the maximum I could go without further internal upgrades although I went with upgrading the valve springs from BC (Brian Crower) while I was in there as well. Definitely has good compression and from memory i think it was higher than OEM but i can't remember the figure (done 7.5k since the build). Yes i think 310+ would be about right but Abbey is a long way from me so i won't be visiting them/Mark anytime soon (sorry Mark :)

Hamlins engineering in Bridgewater did the re-bore and fitted the new pistons for me while checking all tolerences etc. (I just delivered the block) very happy with thier service i must admit and it shows performance wise gathering what others have achieved from NA set-ups. 

Haha yeah - I'm looking at getting Uprev for personal use so I don't have to visit Abbey all the time, as nice as they are.

Did you replace the con rods for something beefier? Do you have the original dyno graph printout, out of interest?

I think you can do Jim Wolf C8s without changing pistons or using non-OEM design aftermarket pistons. - http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/cam_spec_card_vq35_incl_revup.pdf

On 11/06/2020 at 13:50, msitpro said:

Haha yeah - I'm looking at getting Uprev for personal use so I don't have to visit Abbey all the time, as nice as they are.

Did you replace the con rods for something beefier? Do you have the original dyno graph printout, out of interest?

I think you can do Jim Wolf C8s without changing pistons or using non-OEM design aftermarket pistons. - http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/cam_spec_card_vq35_incl_revup.pdf

I thought i'd already responded to this on my mobile!? Anyhow, nope no other bottom end replacements apart from the the norm i.e Nippon bearings and pistons oh and Total Seal hi compression rings (i think thats what they were called). 

So since July last year I was ademant that I had 305hp at the hubs as that was the figure i remembered Mark saying when I left Abbey and obviously the Dyno was done at the hubs... So when i dug out my Dyno printout earlier I was pretty dissapointed and could only assume that Mark ment 305hp at the flywheel! :bang:  As actual figure at the hubs it seems is 265.6hp And there was me the other day being well chuffed when i stumbbled upon the NA figures on here :lol: I also thought that the grand i spent on the cams was well worth it considering the results... Doh! :lol:  img010.jpg.b0efa9722c38e5b5ddfc4d59d47cc7fc.jpg

Like you mentioned above, probably an extra 5/10hp can be added now that I have installed HFC's and improved air intake (still have the genuine air box installed but with K&N filer and a Mishimoto direct pipe to the thottle body) so at best its around 275hp at the hubs so not too bad for an Auto I guess but still, this means that i have lost 30hp! I have just slapped myself, feel better already :) 

C8 Cams: Yes I did review these but several people mentioned that the idle is pretty rough and lumpy and seeing as it's my daily driver I wanted something that behaved well at all rev ranges as a rough idle would have just annoyed me so hence going for the BC's 264's which are basically a little less agressive than the C8's but better than the JW S7's I think. 

On 12/06/2020 at 09:59, docwra said:

@fake ben taylor is doing something rather insane, IIRC he had a thread on here somewhere. 
Highest power VQ I ever did see was RJNs GT4 car, they reckoned that was around 430hp but race engine, obvs.

That sounds awsome! Would love to hear that engine howling. Sounds expensive, but still awsome :) 

On 14/06/2020 at 16:46, Andy_350GT said:

I thought i'd already responded to this on my mobile!? Anyhow, nope no other bottom end replacements apart from the the norm i.e Nippon bearings and pistons oh and Total Seal hi compression rings (i think thats what they were called). 

So since July last year I was ademant that I had 305hp at the hubs as that was the figure i remembered Mark saying when I left Abbey and obviously the Dyno was done at the hubs... So when i dug out my Dyno printout earlier I was pretty dissapointed and could only assume that Mark ment 305hp at the flywheel! :bang:  As actual figure at the hubs it seems is 265.6hp And there was me the other day being well chuffed when i stumbbled upon the NA figures on here :lol: I also thought that the grand i spent on the cams was well worth it considering the results... Doh! :lol:  img010.jpg.b0efa9722c38e5b5ddfc4d59d47cc7fc.jpg

Like you mentioned above, probably an extra 5/10hp can be added now that I have installed HFC's and improved air intake (still have the genuine air box installed but with K&N filer and a Mishimoto direct pipe to the thottle body) so at best its around 275hp at the hubs so not too bad for an Auto I guess but still, this means that i have lost 30hp! I have just slapped myself, feel better already :) 

C8 Cams: Yes I did review these but several people mentioned that the idle is pretty rough and lumpy and seeing as it's my daily driver I wanted something that behaved well at all rev ranges as a rough idle would have just annoyed me so hence going for the BC's 264's which are basically a little less agressive than the C8's but better than the JW S7's I think. 

Ahh - doh!

I reckon you'd see 285hp at the hubs with stainless equal length headers added to the HFCs. If you were manual then 290-295 (based on Sasha Anis' cam shootout and similar breathing mods on a Dynapack)

Considering you are automatic box then your 265 hubs figure is more likely 310-315 at the fly as the auto box loses more through the transmission.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2020 at 17:22, msitpro said:

Ahh - doh!

I reckon you'd see 285hp at the hubs with stainless equal length headers added to the HFCs. If you were manual then 290-295 (based on Sasha Anis' cam shootout and similar breathing mods on a Dynapack)

Considering you are automatic box then your 265 hubs figure is more likely 310-315 at the fly as the auto box loses more through the transmission.

Thanks for that. I won't be installing new headers as it's loud enough for me especially being my daily driver.

Good to know a bit more gain to the fly as it's an Auto. 

My timing chain has again started to rattle at tick over now so another issue to resolve. It's really annoying as EVERYTHING in the timing chain case has be renewed with genuine OEM parts (re-did everything only 1k ago) and don't really want to take it all apart a 3rd time! I may try a thicker oil first as currently on Motul 5w30.

• 8 months later...
On 14/06/2020 at 16:49, Andy_350GT said:

That sounds awsome! Would love to hear that engine howling. Sounds expensive, but still awsome :) 

Really really late seeing this

I've got heads from the nismo super gt engines, titanium con rods from the same engines (longer to increase dwell time) and getting custom pistons made. Will be revving to 8-8.5k. 

Also got custom long tube manifolds, jenvey throttle bodies with drive by wire and have removed powers teeing to reduce parasitic losses

Should be fun when done. 😎

• Like 2