Motorway bend - bit annoyed

Demolition49

Ok so ive been doing alot of getting to know my Z in the last week and somhow i racked up 700 miles :scare: dont know how but i did :scare:

I will calm down now and stop doing random trips to all over the country :lol:

First thing to probably mention is my Z was fitted with 2 new rears avon z33's and the fronts are the original bridgestones (not my choice as dealer chose the tyres)

I was on the motorway on a bend still national speed limit, couple of cars on the bend ahead both going 70 im doing 60 in the Z and traction controll kicks in and i feel all sorts of weird crap and had to slightly correct the car, felt like the right rear wheel at first then the front right and then the left right wheel.... This all felt very un-needed if you like as the car was doing fine around the corner!?

Is it my tyre set up?

Why can the golf go 70mph and me in a "sports car" cant even go 60!

This was a pretty sharpish corner if you like and it did have the big black and white arrows to let you know that but still the golf could do it! surely the Z can! I should be able to whiz past!

This has happened to me alot ive notice on bends on the motorway not really pushing the car much just doing slightly fast in to a bend which the car should be able to handle with ease!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your car works out the balance assuming that all tyres have the same characteristics and so IMO anything that isnt matched will have an effect on how your traction control responds.

If you have the same tyres at each end that helps but unequal wear will always make a difference.

I know its expensive but I always change all tyres at the same time. :thumbs:

If the Avons are only 700miles old then why not just get avons on the front to match them up - I have Avon Z33's all round and am not experiencing any problems - seem a pretty good tyre to be honest...... i'm no expert, just havnt had any slippage wet or dry and i use my car every day :thumbs:

Jak

I changed all mine to Falkens and they have so far (touch wood) been faultless in both dry and wet conditions - crap in snow though! :lol:

I would guess that ANY tyre is naff in the snow driven by a Z - so to combat the problem I will be purchasing these if the snow falls again - there's also a video on their site, seems they are very good!!!

http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/weisssock.htm :thumbs:

What tyres sizes do you have front and rear?

+1... this is usually a symptom of incorrect front vs rear tyre sizes, rather than mis-matched makes.

225/45/18 up front and 245/45/18 at the rears.

Hmm, you have the right sizes then. How many miles have they done? If less than 500 they might not be scrubbed in enough. Otherwise its down to the compounds somehow causing you problems.

What tyres sizes do you have front and rear?

+1... this is usually a symptom of incorrect front vs rear tyre sizes, rather than mis-matched makes.

225/45/18 up front and 245/45/18 at the rears.

Hmm, you have the right sizes then. How many miles have they done? If less than 500 they might not be scrubbed in enough. Otherwise its down to the compounds somehow causing you problems.

700 miles done on the rears, dont know about the fronts as i only had the car 700 miles ago :lol:

i reckon i need to change all four corners anyway to a better tyre :thumbs:

Everybody seems to think its the mix of tyres

It's not going to be the mix of tyres as long as you have the same makes on each axle. Front axle has Bridgestones and rear has Avon. As others have said sometimes the rolling diameter can throw it out, as I myself found out the hard way :blush: this one has got me stumped, could it really be the compounds? I have different makes front to rear and there are zero issues. Dunlop up front and Pirelli at the rear.

It's not going to be the mix of tyres as long as you have the same makes on each axle.

Yes it is. All it takes is for one tyre to touch a slightly different part of the road surface (temperature/water/surface composition) and the car will have a hissy fit as well as potentially chuck you into a ditch. Just because you've had no issues so far means absolutely nothing, you've been lucky and nothing more. It's an incredibly dangerous thing to do as you are introducing an element of uncertainty into the one thing that's keeping the car in contact with the hard stuff. Do you know the exact compositions of the tyres you're running? Their thermal expansion points at set temperatures? How much water they disperse at set speeds? It's that kind of data you need to know (or at the very least be aware of) before you start mixing tyres.

Unless you go into it with your eyes wide open and in a controlled environment (i.e. not on the road), then it's just about the worst thing you can do in any car, whether it's a 1L Aygo or an 8L Viper.

It's not going to be the mix of tyres as long as you have the same makes on each axle. Front axle has Bridgestones and rear has Avon. As others have said sometimes the rolling diameter can throw it out, as I myself found out the hard way :blush: this one has got me stumped, could it really be the compounds? I have different makes front to rear and there are zero issues. Dunlop up front and Pirelli at the rear.

I beg to differ. Bridgestone 040's are a totally different tyre to their 050s, for example. Its not a question of being the same make its their composition, aside from the usual basics like size etc. Also, wear will have an effect. If you are finding 'zero' issues geoff-r with the mix you have on then you are limiting how far you are pushing your Zeds through the corners because you could well find that you have have a sudden loss of traction that could be expensive. I know from my two previous ZEDs that once the tread depth gets down below 4/5mm (with all four tyres the same) the grip levels signfcantly deterioate and the traction light will start kicking in - yes the ZEDs can be quite sensitive in the tyre department hence why I am banging on about not cutting corners (sorry about the pun :blush: ) when it comes to tyres.

As an anology - just look at the difference compounds in the same make of racing tyre can have. The same principles carry forward into everyday car tyres - OK not to the extremes (normally :scare: ) that racing tyres are subjected to but mixing tyre type is never going to be right - any decent manufacturer, tyre supplier will tell you that. The only explainable reason it is done is either to save money and/or that matching tyres were not available.

Demo49 - you have not said how worn are the front tyres (in fact have we seen pics of your ZED yet :wacko: ) but the chances are that if the Dealer replaced the rears that says to me the fronts are likely to be at least half worn so if you are down to 4/5mm of tread that will certainly not be helping. Have you also checked the pressures (35psi all round when cold).

But I would certainly suggest that one the first 'mods' you should be thinking about are 4 good tyres that are all the same ;)

Edit:

Ekona has just beaten me to it so what hes says I agree 100% :thumbs:

Demo49 - you have not said how worn are the front tyres (in fact have we seen pics of your ZED yet :wacko: ) but the chances are that if the Dealer replaced the rears that says to me the fronts are likely to be at least half worn so if you are down to 4/5mm of tread that will certainly not be helping. Have you also checked the pressures (35psi all round when cold).

But I would certainly suggest that one the first 'mods' you should be thinking about are 4 good tyres that are all the same ;)

the fronts have about 4mm left - bridgestones

Yeah i did post up some pics from my iphone but ive been lazy to get some quality ones up! Will do soon!

I will get some falkens all around :thumbs:

and will double check pressures tonight :D

If the fronts have 4mm left then it has to be tyre compound in my mind. I was going to say if the fronts were barely legal and the rears very nice, then that can cause enough variance in the sizes to give TC trouble, but with 4mm on it should still have enough to keep the RR close enough not to confuse it. I'd go with tyre composition.

Whatever it is, its given you enough of a shock to post on here and must have damaged your confidence, so same tyres all round will give you that back :thumbs: