air filters............

magic84

just had a look at my air filter and the box was full of s@#t. considering ive only done 1600miles in the car, which was ment to have had a full service by the way, the filter was black :rant:. think ill have it checked out again by a different garage to see what they recon.

as i realy dont think they serviced it, maybe just topped the levels up.

so as you can see im looking into getting a new pannel filter. which filters do you recomend?

have you ever heard of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DO-LUCK-POWER-FIL ... 439f4c8f17

thanks mike

IMHO the new Do Luck air filter is a winner. :yahoo: I was talking to Andy Barnes from Sumo power at the Knockhill D1 and Time Attack event the other week and he was extremely enthusiastic about it.

Prior to the Do Luck coming on the scene my favourite filter was JR followed by K & N and then Cosworth.

Alex :)

do we have back to back tests of all of these or is everything just guesswork?

I'm still basing my choice of panel filter on a VERY old test... seems to be little or no interest to find out what does the best airflow & clean...

ive gone for the hks (thanks introspect :thumbs: ) thought id try this one as its a dry filter and i dont need to oil it. as id only balls it up :doh:. will let you know how i get on thanks again for the help :thumbs:

pimm i was realy considering a pop charger for the noise factor, but was a little worryed about heat sink, for the round town trips.

do we have back to back tests of all of these or is everything just guesswork?

Supposedly Jap Performance are reporting on some test done at the Scooby clinic.....

"In the coming edition of Japanese Performance magazine there will an interesting feature on a group test of panel panel filters...

Conducted at Scooby Clinic, using their Dyno Dynamics rolling road, air intake temperature remained the same (16-17°C) and two power tests per filter were taken

All filters were tested all of the performance panel filters on a 54-plate Impreza WRX STi 2.0-litre, which was originally fitted with a standard panel filter. The standard panel filter was in reasonable condition, showing dirt on roughly half the face of the paper pleats.

Filters tested were:

K&N

ITG

Pipercross

Green

Cosworth

Do Luck

The results? The pre-oiled Do-Luck foam filter

Gave a max BHP of: 297.7 (12.9 BHP extra over the stock filter). Its nearest competition was K&N which gave 10.4 bhp more..."

Obviously these tests weren't done on a zed :shrug: but it gives me enough info to think about trying it out - although I've had the K&N in for the last 9k miles for the sake of £30 I'm not faffing around trying to clean it and oil it :)

I honestly dont understand why people are so scared of oiling filters? Its really not hard, you'd have to cake the filter in oil to do any harm. Even then there are vids where K&N soaked MAF sensors in oil and they still worked when cleaned off. I think K&N even went so far as to say they have never had a MAF fail of over oiling, most of the time it was coincidence or there were other contaminants on the MAF not oil. Most MAFs also have self cleaning cycles where they burn off any oil or contaminants when the engine starts.

ive gone for the hks (thanks introspect :thumbs: ) thought id try this one as its a dry filter and i dont need to oil it. as id only balls it up :doh:. will let you know how i get on thanks again for the help :thumbs:

pimm i was realy considering a pop charger for the noise factor, but was a little worryed about heat sink, for the round town trips.

I have just got a K&N typoon that i have fitted so my pop charger is up forsale

:thumbs:

12.9............. 10.4HP over stock filter is complete BS. I posted about this filter malarky on Andlids thread (can't find it) a while ago and and put up the relevent tests/links FYI and it is a complete nonsence that you can make as much power from a changing panel filters infact the OEM paper filter was as good as all these uprated stuff but most importantly it did what it said on the tin......................filter the air from crap :lol: .

Most of the aftermarket guys claim in their market ploy that their filters flow more and filters more but how can that be; to flow more you need to filter less :p and if that the case that is bad for you engine :scare:

The restriction is not the filter but rather the air pickup, airbox design and intake piping itself( route and size are usually a compromise) and to prove this the tester removed completely the filter and there was no significant difference in measured flow and similarly HP ;) The same test measured pressure differences on both of all the panel filters on test and OEM filter and no significant drop demonstrated and they(filters) all showed similar flow results.

From a filtration point of view the manufactures have spent milions in R&D and testing miles to arrive to the OEM paper design and it is not by fluke ( you would be surprised that foam filters, cloth, cones etc have all been used before :) ).

Andlids tests was comparing the filtration properties of cone filters and the Apexi one came first. but it did not test the OEM filter :surrender: If it did, it would have shown as did the results from the test i posted that OEM filters best or as good as SOME aftermarket filters and thats the job its there for ;)

The test went further to see at what point does the OEM filter get clogged up to become less effiecient and it was about 10K miles if i recall correctly and this raises the point that apart from risking your engine with these aftermarket items that promise unlimited use or can be reused after washing eg 50K miles like in K&N's case is BS as by then its incompetent as a filter.

So this brings even more advantage for the OEM paper jobie which cost under £10! You can change it 2 or 3 times a year before it cost the price of a typical aftermarket stuff and you know it will do its job.

The final discussion of the test was that if you want to improve intake flow in general, then you need to modify the airbox and piping ie less tortuous course and large diameter which is not easy as the manufacturer was also hampered by packaging the engine, noise issues, reliability etc when designing the cars and often the intake is an after thought.

I was impressed by this test because it was meticulous, look at all aspects and was standardised. But most important it was an exercise in science rather than sponsored to purport a particular result or trend.

it also covered several popular areas of content like turbocharging, NOS etc. I must find it :bang:

Personally i feel the K&Ns , cosworth, Apexi, HKS and other bignames in the industry make relatively decent panel filters with reasonable filtration properties but it is just a cash cow for them as they prey on the unsuspecting modder and charge absurb prices when the OEM stuff is a good'un.

After 10k completed miles my HKS is going to the bin and i'll be buying the Mahle paper filter bi-annually. I only do about 10-12k a year but this year will be sub 5-7k :teeth:

12.9............. 10.4HP over stock filter is complete BS. I posted about this filter malarky on Andlids thread (can't find it) a while ago and and put up the relevent tests/links FYI and it is a complete nonsence that you can make as much power from a changing panel filters infact the OEM paper filter was as good as all these uprated stuff but most importantly it did what it said on the tin......................filter the air from crap :lol: .

Most of the aftermarket guys claim in their market ploy that their filters flow more and filters more but how can that be; to flow more you need to filter less :p and if that the case that is bad for you engine :scare:

The restriction is not the filter but rather the air pickup, airbox design and intake piping itself( route and size are usually a compromise) and to prove this the tester removed completely the filter and there was no significant difference in measured flow and similarly HP ;) The same test measured pressure differences on both of all the panel filters on test and OEM filter and no significant drop demonstrated and they(filters) all showed similar flow results.

From a filtration point of view the manufactures have spent milions in R&D and testing miles to arrive to the OEM paper design and it is not by fluke ( you would be surprised that foam filters, cloth, cones etc have all been used before :) ).

Andlids tests was comparing the filtration properties of cone filters and the Apexi one came first. but it did not test the OEM filter :surrender: If it did, it would have shown as did the results from the test i posted that OEM filters best or as good as SOME aftermarket filters and thats the job its there for ;)

The test went further to see at what point does the OEM filter get clogged up to become less effiecient and it was about 10K miles if i recall correctly and this raises the point that apart from risking your engine with these aftermarket items that promise unlimited use or can be reused after washing eg 50K miles like in K&N's case is BS as by then its incompetent as a filter.

So this brings even more advantage for the OEM paper jobie which cost under £10! You can change it 2 or 3 times a year before it cost the price of a typical aftermarket stuff and you know it will do its job.

The final discussion of the test was that if you want to improve intake flow in general, then you need to modify the airbox and piping ie less tortuous course and large diameter which is not easy as the manufacturer was also hampered by packaging the engine, noise issues, reliability etc when designing the cars and often the intake is an after thought.

I was impressed by this test because it was meticulous, look at all aspects and was standardised. But most important it was an exercise in science rather than sponsored to purport a particular result or trend.

it also covered several popular areas of content like turbocharging, NOS etc. I must find it :bang:

Personally i feel the K&Ns , cosworth, Apexi, HKS and other bignames in the industry make relatively decent panel filters with reasonable filtration properties but it is just a cash cow for them as they prey on the unsuspecting modder and charge absurb prices when the OEM stuff is a good'un.

After 10k completed miles my HKS is going to the bin and i'll be buying the Mahle paper filter bi-annually. I only do about 10-12k a year but this year will be sub 5-7k :teeth:

Well written, think the next time I go for a panel filter I'd get either an Apexi or Cosworth, HKS... then get a standard one too get it down to the dyno and do a comparsion from there on its flow (not filtering since I'm not going to throw ash on it) :p

...........................................................................................

...........................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................

Yup we're all well aware of the fact that manufacturer claims re BHP gains from airfilters are dross - however as I said.....the info given is sufficient to entice me to try it - purely as an upgraded filter - no drama Bennet and really no need for another essay :lol:

...........................................................................................

...........................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................

Yup we're all well aware of the fact that manufacturer claims re BHP gains from airfilters are dross - however as I said.....the info given is sufficient to entice me to try it - purely as an upgraded filter - no drama Bennet and really no need for another essay :lol:

I am at work and had to get a chair to sit down on to read the above post :lol::lol:

there was a guide a while back that i read on another forum, it was an independent test monitoring the filtration of different filters, and they also compared against stock paper.

this was done a fair few years ago, but the stock filter was not as good as the after market ones. and in particular the apexi filter maintained the same level of filtration as stock while also allowing more air through.

i'll now have to trawl several forums to try and find it to back up my statement. may have to wait a week or 2 until i find it as i've been members of a fair few :lol: