coupe vs cabriolet

rich-z

why ive been looking at 350z's ive seen a couple of cabriolets ive liked the look of (all though i'll probably go for a coupe), just wondered what peoples views were on them and differences like weight or anything else

Both have their pro's and cons really. Warm sunny days there are times when I feel like I would like no roof, but all the other times I am glad I chose the coupe.

The zed ragtop looks like a big after thought to me - they made the coupe and then the engineers stood back and then thought..."ah...they will be wanting it with no roof as well...bugger", so they done the best they could with the shape of the car.

Again, side by side the look pretty different

I would agree that the coupe may be more pracical for general use. The roadster is probably a lot nicer on sunny weekends.

I would suggest that people stay clear of suggestions that the roadtser cannot be made into a very fast car.

Cue Zmanalex. :p:lol:

Well you have had Martin's so it would be rude for me to not join after our introduction. :lol:

I would agree that if the Zed was my everyday car I would have gone for the Coupe, but having it as a second car and on days like today its definitely the Roadster for me. As long as its not raining I have the top down.

I wouldn't say thta all Roadsters have a roof problem. Not had any major issues with mine and its a 53 plate. :thumbs:

he could be in scotland or wales or NI or ireland meaning possibly more :cold:

Because Wales is so much colder than England. Haha. I came from owning a convertible for the last 4 years in Wales, it's not colder on the other side of the bridge :p

To be honest when it comes to coupe or roadster it is a matter of preference on shape. They both feel like very different cars. I never looked at roadsters when I wanted one and to be honest I only went in one for the first time last weekend, it was nice but a bit small inside, and in my opinion it always felt like the roof was a bit of an after thought, if I have a convertible it's gotta be a hard top one to make it viable in this country. If I was abroad I'd probably go for the roadster though, as I love the roof down.

agreed personally i dont like the look of the roasters, they look ok with the roof down but for 95% of the time with the roof up it looks wrong, if i were to get a convertable id look at s2000s or an m3 coupe

Surely it's as simple as to whether you want to put the roof down or not? Neither car is that different from the other in the drive that it really makes a difference which one you go for on that count, so just make your decision based on that.

ROADSTER + K1 + ROOF DOWN = :#1:

you dont need the sun out to put the roof down. mine is down all the time unless its raining.

Thats a proper roadster own for you. I went over to Nurrish's once and it was only 2 degrees, it wasn't raining so the roof was down!!! :lol:

IMHO both cars are very B). The roadster more so with roof down and though the roadster weighs more(240lbs) due to chasis reinforcement. Nissan did a fantastic job with this and also damping so much so that the both cars are not far off performance and handling wise and there is very little scuttle shake from the roadster :clap:

Excerpts of the major differences of note in the roadster are:

- Altered 1st gear ratio (to even up the weight disadvantage :p ) 13.423:1 vs 13.074:1.

- Exclusive steering column support contributes to sharp steering response.

- A cross-car beam that with gussets at the top and bottom of the A-pillar reinforces the front end.

- Other structural reinforcements such as a center floor V-shaped cross bar connecting the side sills and a triple-member was added to the seating area connecting the sides to the floor structure to provide enhanced rigidity.

- Doors are also added to the reinforcement with special 'door catcher' connectors.

- Front and rear dynamic dampers to hinder vibrations.

However, seeing what Rich-Z has done with the Supra, the coupe will be a better base for extreme tuning due to the inherent stiffness, the ability to add a roll cage for added safety, lack of boot space and the all weather versatility of the coupe as required when you live in Blighty ;)

IMHO both cars are very B). The roadster more so with roof down and though the roadster weighs more(240lbs) due to chasis reinforcement. Nissan did a fantastic job with this and also damping so much so that the both cars are not far off performance and handling wise and there is very little scuttle shake from the roadster :clap:

Excerpts of the major differences of note in the roadster are:

- Altered 1st gear ratio (to even up the weight disadvantage :p ) 13.423:1 vs 13.074:1.

- Exclusive steering column support contributes to sharp steering response.

- A cross-car beam that with gussets at the top and bottom of the A-pillar reinforces the front end.

- Other structural reinforcements such as a center floor V-shaped cross bar connecting the side sills and a triple-member was added to the seating area connecting the sides to the floor structure to provide enhanced rigidity.

- Doors are also added to the reinforcement with special 'door catcher' connectors.

- Front and rear dynamic dampers to hinder vibrations.

However, seeing what Rich-Z has done with the Supra, the coupe will be a better base for extreme tuning due to the inherent stiffness, the ability to add a roll cage for added safety, lack of boot space and the all weather versatility of the coupe as required when you live in Blighty ;)

thats very interesting thanks. yeah i think im swaying more to the coupe but im definitely gonna test the roadster aswell

I agree with all that has been said but must remind people that the fastest zed on here is a roadster. ;)

Eeeeeeeeehnn.......................... wrong Martin/Grant :p:p

The most powerful zed here is a coupe and it belongs to ttz34me Our cousin from the states. His Greddy TT was shipped over since last year and would be residing in the Uk for the next 3 years.

I met up with him at Autosport this year and his monster running almost 700WHP now :scare:

I am bringing him along for wales :yahoo: