No 350Z for me

token

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I wouldn't get caught driving one either, the typical people who drive them, and the porsche brand is just so pretentious nowadays. I would feel like a plonker in it.

Fear enough you are entitled to your opinion but could you expand a bit on what you mean by the typical people that drive one? :wacko:

You know, the typical owner that buys one to say 'I own a Porsche' in social situations, the ones that look down on you when you pull up beside them at the traffic lights, that smell of elitism they stink of, and the general image that the 80's yuppy era attached to the Porsche, that its almost a badge of having success in life. I don't disagree for a second that they are fantastic cars, but the majority of Porsche owners i've met have been smug gits. I suppose I'm just stereotyping from my own experiences.

well you can count me out of that stereotype bracket, Im not like that nor is my mum, my sister or my dad :thumbs: now bow to me you mere mortal :lol::lol: kidding ;)

well you can count me out of that stereotype bracket, Im not like that nor is my mum, my sister or my dad :thumbs: now bow to me you mere mortal :lol::lol: kidding ;)

:scare::scare:

You could start your own elite owners club! How does your sister get on with guys when she turns up in a better car than them? :lol:

These arguments always crop up. To each their own I say.

Personally I don't like the boxster, or the new 911's, but I'd have a 993.

I don't like Lambo's at all, i think they are hideous cars that sound bleedin horrible too.

Ferrari's... I like maybe 3 or 4 they have ever made, but they also sound horrible, screaming nasty euch.

I do love my Zed though.... and I wouldn't trade it for a 370 either, they may drive better but they have messed up the looks of the back end, eurgh. Would have a GT-R though, alas my budget doesn't stretch so far.

Such a personal thing car choice! Price, looks, engine, sound, how it drives, RWD or FWD or AWD.... V6, V8, V10, V13? Flat 4, straight six? I love the sound of a V6 or a V8 (heaven), and wouldn't give up RWD for anything now! <3

:drive1

-Dave

Personally I wouldn't get caught driving one either, the typical people who drive them, and the porsche brand is just so pretentious nowadays. I would feel like a plonker in it.

Fear enough you are entitled to your opinion but could you expand a bit on what you mean by the typical people that drive one? :wacko:

the general image that the 80's yuppy era attached to the Porsche, that its almost a badge of having success in life.

This is Porsche's biggest problem. They still can't shake this stereotype of stock brokers with big quiffs driving 911's, even 25 years on. For some reason people stick all their negative opinions of Porsche solely on the Boxster, which is weird in my opinon as the boxster is surely a sign that Porsche are trying NOT to be elitist and opening up their brand to more and more of us, and not just the w_nkers in braces from the big smoke.

+1

And Porsche are continuing to further increase their presence at the bottom end of the sports car market with their "new 356" roadster - a platform share with Audis' upcoming R4.

Although the other reason is to allow them to increase the base prices of the Boxster and 911. :lol:

:scare::scare:

You could start your own elite owners club! How does your sister get on with guys when she turns up in a better car than them? :lol:

Lol she makes them carry her on her gold chariot and worship her how else lol. :lol:;) She has a cayman S, pretty nice car plenty of speed and she isnt into cars that much, she got it cos she liked the colour bless her :lol:

These arguments always crop up. To each their own I say.

Personally I don't like the boxster, or the new 911's, but I'd have a 993.

I don't like Lambo's at all, i think they are hideous cars that sound bleedin horrible too.

Ferrari's... I like maybe 3 or 4 they have ever made, but they also sound horrible, screaming nasty euch.

I do love my Zed though.... and I wouldn't trade it for a 370 either, they may drive better but they have messed up the looks of the back end, eurgh. Would have a GT-R though, alas my budget doesn't stretch so far.

Such a personal thing car choice! Price, looks, engine, sound, how it drives, RWD or FWD or AWD.... V6, V8, V10, V13? Flat 4, straight six? I love the sound of a V6 or a V8 (heaven), and wouldn't give up RWD for anything now! <3

:drive1

-Dave

Gotta love the sound of that V13, I prefer the sound of my old diesel Golf to a Lambo or Ferrari anyday of the week....euch to their own ;)

How can a 3.2 Porsche be considered a girls car? because its a convertible?? I don't think I've ever even seen a woman driving a boxster....

my mum had one about a year back she is a hairdresser/beutition she liked it but my dad said he had a few comments when he took it out saying its a bit feminine ,plus my dad said the performance sucked!! and he is overly impressed with my zed they now have a merc AMG but he still would rather try to persuade me to let him take my zed a spin than take the merc :lol: sorry not trying to rip the porche but we are on a zed forum so , the 350 wins here :#1:

my mum had one about a year back she is a hairdresser/beutition she liked it but my dad said he had a few comments when he took it out saying its a bit feminine ,plus my dad said the performance sucked!! and he is overly impressed with my zed they now have a merc AMG but he still would rather try to persuade me to let him take my zed a spin than take the merc :lol: sorry not trying to rip the porche but we are on a zed forum so , the 350 wins here :#1:

Couple of things...

Saying that they've got a Merc AMG is like saying they've got a BMW M: We need more details as it's not a car in it's own right! Also, I'm going to guess that your old man isn't much of a corner lover but prefers his fun in straight lines which is why he likes the big V8 Mercs, as the performance of the 987 S really doesn't suck when you drive it hard through the twisties. Yes, it'll feel slower in a straight line as you need to work the gears really compared to the laziness that a torquey V8 brings to the party, but it's a bit harsh to say the Boxster sucks (even if it is your Dad's words!).

Also, we may be a Zed forum but I'm guessing we're all petrolheads first and foremost, so it really doesn't hurt to say when other cars our better than our own. We all had our reasons for picking the Zed over other comparable cars, but that doesn't mean we bought the quickest & nimblest & best looking car available to us. My car is much uglier than either the Boxster or the Cayman, is slower and handles worse out of the box, but it's got a touch more character IMHO and that's why it got my money. My previous car was quicker and better handling than any of the above, but sometimes you want something different in a car which is also possibly why your Dad likes his current steed. :)

I found the Porsches I have driven to be pretty emotionless BUT hugely capable in the corners. The Cayman S is a beautifully balanced car in the turns, so much so it almost justifies it's silly price tag - a shame the engine doesn't back it up (that the 911 exists, one of the two!). So girly in so much as the chassis could take twice the power but that's it - still take a drive to get the most out of it in the corners.

Driven a couple of Ferraris and they take some getting used to. But they do hit all the buttons - sounds, power and dreamy handling. Needs some all round talent to get the most out of one IMO.

But each to their own - they're all a damn site better than the 318d's and Vectras a lot of people have to put up with. :)

Yeah but that was a old 2.7 not a 3.2 S and Tim's a cantakerous old man :lol:

no it wasnt it was the S model and it was awful, also the trim was falling to bits, not enough legroom and it wasnt a patch on my 350z...The only reason to buy a boxster is that you havent enough cash to buy a proper Porsche :blush:

in fact the Boxster I has use of for a few weeks only hit the road twice in all the time I had it, it was that awful to drive after the 350z, also you look a bit of a dick in them (my opinion of course !! :snack: )

And on that Tim we totally agree. I have great respect for the Porsche performance cars and get to play with them a lot. IMO the lower range models are like basic cars with the uprated copy body kits on. With a skilled driver they may be fine but I am afraid in my extensive encounters with them they are always ready to back down.

Yeah but that was a old 2.7 not a 3.2 S and Tim's a cantakerous old man :lol:

no it wasnt it was the S model and it was awful, also the trim was falling to bits, not enough legroom and it wasnt a patch on my 350z...The only reason to buy a boxster is that you havent enough cash to buy a proper Porsche :blush:

in fact the Boxster I has use of for a few weeks only hit the road twice in all the time I had it, it was that awful to drive after the 350z, also you look a bit of a dick in them (my opinion of course !! :snack: )

I love you Tim but that's a load of rubbish.

The car you had was obviously a dog, it happens.

If you have £30k to spend and buy a boxster because you didn't have another £30k to buy a new 911, does that make that person a bad person. You buy the best car you can with the money you can. I could buy a Ferrari 360 tomorrow for £35k, would people say "ah you only bought that because you couldn't afford a 430?" Highly doubtful.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update from Token, he has registered on Boxa.net, made a complete tit of himself, antagonised & insulted everyone on the board.

Yes the Boxster may be a poor man's Porsche, (costing anything from £6k-£55k), but no need to upset people who'd been patiently helping him for days & weeks before.

Read here if interested!

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?sho ... 4802&st=30