Lost the backend yesterday and skidded

matth76

I was looking for some RE050's but Bridgestone dont seem to make the 245 /45/18 size. They do the 40 profile but not 45. They do the front tyre size 225/45/18, just not the rear which is odd - here's Bridgestone's own tyre sizes that they do http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/treads/re050.aspx

I noticed you're looking at .com.au, so the Australian regional site for Bridgestone. It looks like the availability of the 245/45/18 size is a regional issue. Here is the size chart from the euro site, which includes the 245/45 size for the rears...

http://www.bridgestone.eu/bfe/lineup-pr ... xt@1b11ea4

The RE050 was even the standard fit tyre on newer zeds.

Yep the re040's are very bad for grip in the wet. I've had them almost exclusively on my zed. However, if you know that the back end is going to go on every corner/junction, then you can prevent it very easily. In that respect i like them as i know where the edge of grip is.

I had the falkens on for a brief period, and there appeared to be almost infinite grip... but im not sure if i liked that or not as i wasnt sure where the edge of grip was, and i felt that when i went over that edge, it would be too difficult to recover.

...so basically, expect that you are going to lose grip and adjust your style to suit.

So Marzman. You like less grip from your tyres!? :)

I've got the 040, and while you know the back end will fly out in the wet, the trouble is there's no warning. You have grip, and then you have none. It's not progressive at all, and will do it at relatively slow speeds!

The RE050A are standard fit on the 370's

some detail I found about that tyre:

"The Potenza RE050A tyres for the Ferrari F430 feature an asymmetrical, nondirectional tread pattern. Bridgestone has optimized the inner portion of the tread for wet-weather driving, especially important in Europe, and the outer portion of dry surfaces. The tyres thus provide a superior combination of dry- and wet-weather performance, along with a quiet, comfortable ride for touring. Bridgestone supplies similar Potenza RE050A to Enzo Ferrari, Superamerica and 612 Scaglietti."

If its good enough for Ferrari......... ;)

"The Potenza RE050A tyres for the Ferrari F430 feature an asymmetrical, nondirectional tread pattern. Bridgestone has optimized the inner portion of the tread for wet-weather driving, especially important in Europe, and the outer portion of dry surfaces. The tyres thus provide a superior combination of dry- and wet-weather performance, along with a quiet, comfortable ride for touring. Bridgestone supplies similar Potenza RE050A to Enzo Ferrari, Superamerica and 612 Scaglietti."

superior combination... mmm think I rather have my A goodyear F1's then the newer type that has the inner tyre for wet and outer for dry weather... it's not going to perform as well as a tyre made for wet weather when its wet and it wont perform better then a dry type tyre in the dry... so you'll have a tyre that's average in both weather conditions... :bang: for me the most important is that it performs in the wet and for dry conditions you need to get a wider tyre (285) and you'll get more contact surface! WHEN I get my a** in gear to get new wheels I'll get as wide as I can in the rear for dry condition and the best wet tyre out there fitted to it. For track tool use I'd use the same wheels that I have now and go for a sticky rubber.

*and they look cooler :bounce:

gsd3v.jpg

superior combination... mmm think I rather have my A goodyear F1's then the newer type that has the inner tyre for wet and outer for dry weather... it's not going to perform as well as a tyre made for wet weather when its wet and it wont perform better then a dry type tyre in the dry... so you'll have a tyre that's average in both weather conditions... :bang: for me the most important is that it performs in the wet and for dry conditions you need to get a wider tyre (285) and you'll get more contact surface! WHEN I get my a** in gear to get new wheels I'll get as wide as I can in the rear for dry condition and the best wet tyre out there fitted to it. For track tool use I'd use the same wheels that I have now and go for a sticky rubber.

*and they look cooler :bounce:

gsd3v.jpg

Goodyear GSDs are old hat now. You want the Asymmetrics! Newer and better, but no where near as nice tread pattern :(

I used to have Goodyear F1's on my old car but they lasted less than a year and when they were close to the limit on tread they were scary in the wet. I do love the tread pattern though.

matth76:

You started this thread on the basis you had a scary moment on your present tyres and that I see is still your main concern. While it is always nice to have a cool looking tread pattern we also know that does not mean it is the best tyre for a RWD pumping out 276bhp+ as there is ample evidence on this forum to that effect. Definitely bin the O40's - having experienced those way back they were far too hard a compound/side wall and whilst great for drifting, on the road, particuarly in wet/slippery conditions, are bad news.

The tyres that keep coming across as the most suitable for the ZED are the Michelin Pilot Sports (probably the best but also the dearest) followed, and in no particular order, by the T1R Toyos, 452 Falkens, Vredestein Sessantas and 050A Stones. I'm not saying they are the only ones but that's what shows up having followed opinions on here over the last 5 years or so and in my book you need to use you head rather than your heart in terms of tyre choice. Of the options I have noted the Toyos probably come closest to satisfying the looks 'department' - hopefully they are available again as there has been a supply issue for ZED rears in 2009.

And while I am on my soapbox, please, please use the same tyres on all 4 wheels and don't wait to you get down to the legal minimum in tread depth. Different tyre brands and types made by the same manufacturer are all constructed differently and the ZED is a beautifully balanced an poised car in standard form (that is what has made it one of the best drivers' cars) - to then mix tyres between front and back is unlikley to improve on the handling or grip - it is more likley to worsen it and will 'bite' at the wrong time, in the same way as worn tyres will. ;)

I use the Bridgestone RE050A on my GTR for a while now, pretty good tyres overall and grip extremely well wet or dry.

Falken FK452 are another popular tyres, but that because it is good value for money.

I have stopped using Toyo T1-R now because of the rubbish side wall on them, it seems to be so soft it dull steering response.

But then the 350Z use low profile tyres, so it might be a bit better. But given the choice I would go with the Falken over the Toyo.

Yep, and as Colin said: Use the same tyre type front and back in the correct size.

Thanks guys. Useful info. Yes safety is my biggest concern after my incident on Saturday. I'm not concerned about what the tread looks like. I think my personal choice comes down to the Vredestein Sessantas or the Bridgestone RE050's. Vredestein have the edge due to their lower cost. Do you guys who have the RE050's generally get the RE050's or RE050A's? Which would last longer, ie has the harder compound? Thanks again for all the replies.

Thanks for your reply. When I do the search for the RE050 (not the "A" version) and click "apply filters" it says all three results are for the Mercedes S class (however one of these would surely be fine for any other car too - however there do appear to be differences between all three to do with compound or something). The only Bridgestone RE050 tyre they say is for the 350z is the "A" version, although I could have mis-read it. Is it the "A" version that everyone uses whey they say they have RE050's?