Iphone 3GS or... What??

Zednick666

Which Phone??  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which Phone??

• Iphone 3GS
    • Sony Satio
    • Nokia N900

OK so for the past month or so I've been pondering the Iphone 3GS, as I'm due either an upgrade or to end my contract on 13th Feb... Now, I'm with T-Mobile so it's a no-go for an upgrade to an Iphone as of course they don't do them, so to go elsewhere means paying a contribution to the handset (minimum £90), signing up to a 18 or 24 month contract for around £35pm.

But, what else is out there? Do I really want to jump on the Apple bandwagon??

I've narrowed it down to the 3 handsets detailed in the poll. They all have their faults; Iphone has sh*t camera, Satio runs Symbian, and N900 has a Kwerty keyboard and hence always landscape... I have to say at the moment I'm leaning more towards the N900 though, looks quite nice and 32GB!

I use a cashback site, and there's always deals such as £60 cashback from Orange when buying Iphone, which would soften the blow a little, but still...

Anyone any suggestions / comments? :shrug:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 3G iphone and have to say it's the best phone I have owned,contract due up next month and I am considering the 3GS.I have had mine 18 months and will see what O2 offer me this time,may just go for a cheaper tarriff as this phone has been so good.

I would stay clear of Orange,my girlfriend has swapped to them and the reception around here is terrible.

dont get either of those!!

get a blackberry bold 9700 or a new storm 2! they are awesome, i have the bold and im so happy with it! can get it on t mobile as well. i am really pleased with the apps you can get for it and the phone is really quick and easy to use.

the storm is the full touch screen but has a odd "clicky" screen but is a wicked phone. my mate has the new one and he says that it is really good. however the storm is only available on vodaphone (IMO the best 3G network out there)

sorry i didnt pick one of those phones but blackberrys are really good. and a) everyone has a iphone B) satio is crap, crashes and needs a update c) dont like the nokia layout.

Sparky

i have the iphone and its been faultless, can't complain, best phone ever.

thats the thing with apple, they build it and make sure it works before they release it. i've tried windows based PDA's and always end up frustrated with the bulky and awkward software.

apple does the job and does it well.

dont get either of those!!

get a blackberry bold 9700 or a new storm 2! they are awesome, i have the bold and im so happy with it! can get it on t mobile as well. i am really pleased with the apps you can get for it and the phone is really quick and easy to use.

the storm is the full touch screen but has a odd "clicky" screen but is a wicked phone. my mate has the new one and he says that it is really good. however the storm is only available on vodaphone (IMO the best 3G network out there)

sorry i didnt pick one of those phones but blackberrys are really good. and a) everyone has a iphone B) satio is crap, crashes and needs a update c) dont like the nokia layout.

Sparky

This :D The Blackberry is cheaper than the Iphone aswell. Is the Iphone really worth £179 & £35 a month for the next 18months?

There is a new phone coming out..the Google Nexus one :teeth: ..allegedly better than iPhone 3GS and anything similar out there. Only downside is the poor customer service support. I have a Nokia N97 with 5MP camera and qwerty keyboard and 32GB. Only problem is the screen keeps freezing up and it's not compatible with my Nurrish bluetooth system :thumbdown:

Unbiased :blush: but I have the 16GB Wonderphone 3gs - left Orange after 10 years (useless muppets these days!!)

Love it to bits-yes tied into a 2 year contract but I am not fussed about always getting the latest thing - and when 4G comes along the first series of phones will have problems like the first Iphone so by the time my current contract finishes I should have the revised best set ready for 4G ;)

Like all wonderphone bores we find ourselves having to surgically remove them at the end of the day! :lol:

I v got the satio....bought it a few days after it was released...camera is superb...and thats it...i am missing the keypad....i hate touchscreens with a passion....and i dont know about the nokia...but i had an i phone for a week...and camera aside is far better than the satio.... :thumbs:

Iphone all day long. It won gadget of the decade on the gadget show!

Why settle for just a few Apps? The iPhone has literally about 100,000 apps to download, most of them free (or stripped down versions).

It is sooooo easy to use yet it has more features than any other phone. It is so intuitive too.

The only gripe i have with it is making calls... on any other phone, i can press the 'call' button twice to call the last person i dialed. With the iPhone its about 5 clicks in different places on the screen, which is annoying.

Ooh good call on the Blackberry - never thought of that but I do like the look of them :thumbs:

Some really mixed opinions there but I think I can safely write the 'patio' and N900 off from that... New dilema now!

As Stan says, it seems everyone who has the Iphone literally won't have anything else, it's the best thing since sliced bread as far as they're concerned, but same goes with Blackberry... it's very 'Them and Us'

:headhurt: Decisions!!!

I phone is stylish and slick but I've used HTC's Google G1 for ages and Android is a top notch OS.

The Nexus is supposedly better than the I phone it certainly has a better camera. And being google there are thousands of free apps as well as ones to pay for.

The other big advantage is the Google ones don't use Itunes ... which is a major advantage and you can use them like a portable Hdrive just drag and drop Mp3's etc.

Also I have dropped my HTC on the floor many a time and its been fine. Same can't be said for friends with I phone

Also being similar to linux the android OS is intrinsically secure. No known threats unlike apple. And as its open source no risk of being sued by kodak!

Id go for nexus personally, I phone next. But wait to see if they sort out the support issues.

This :D The Blackberry is cheaper than the Iphone aswell. Is the Iphone really worth £179 & £35 a month for the next 18months?

i got the 3g for £90 a year ago,

my wife got her 3gs recently from O2 for under £100

like stanski, i was with orange for donkey's years, but they let down the one thing they were good at, which was customer services, after that the rest seems to have gone down the pan. O2 have been so much better

Interesting points, have heard of a few issues with Iphone freezing actually - a mates had one literally a month and it froze.

I mean the I want an all rounder - my current tariff charges for mobile browsing, so i'll be moving to at least a new tarif anyway, I'm wanting access to things like Facebook, hotmail, 350z-uk.com of course :lol: , then other handy bits like snow reports when we go boarding...

Do blackberry / HTC also offer those sorts of apps, and work well? Sorry I've not really handled them properly, just had a look in shops...

Interesting points, have heard of a few issues with Iphone freezing actually - a mates had one literally a month and it froze.

I mean the I want an all rounder - my current tariff charges for mobile browsing, so i'll be moving to at least ;) a new tarif anyway, I'm wanting access to things like Facebook, hotmail, 350z-uk.com of course :lol: , then other handy bits like snow reports when we go boarding...

Do blackberry / HTC also offer those sorts of apps, and work well? Sorry I've not really handled them properly, just had a look in shops...

350z-UK.com has an iPhone shortcut especially for us ;) gobpage hotmail etc are all available on the wonderphone :thumbs: I admit it's a slipperly little rascal but has remained unscathed so far and never frozen yet? Battery life on the 3gs is much improved and as someone who didn't like touch screen myself the iPhone interface will blew you away and it's p*** easy to use as a typical bloke I have yet to read the instruction manual :lol:

Ask T-mobile nicely.

My friend is with them and said he's leaving to Orange for the Iphone.

Miraculousely they offered it to him for £80 on a £35pm contract.

He's got 4 phones with them though for his whole family so maybe a premier customer with preferential treatment....NO FAIR :thumbdown:

1. the new BB storm 2 is out on vodaphone only. and i had a play with it and was VERY impressed.

2. the nexus one (google phone) is very good, but still behind the iphone

3. BB cost a fiver a month more because of the registation on the BB network, however that does get you instant emails and browsing.

4. BB bold 9700 (my phone) is almost faultless, only thing is the internet is sometimes a bit slow.

5. satio is crap!! all new SE phones are until the next update is available.

6. all of your above apps are available on the BB, facebook, instant emails from whatever carrier (i have my work emails fired through from a remote server)

7.my mate has the HTC and is very happy with it. the touch screen is very good

IMO. i would get the Iphone off contract, SIM free, for say, 300 quid and then get a better tarriff from someone else (or keep what you got) a new contract means:- the phone costs over 150 then you have to sign up to a 24 month contract at £40p/m. so in effect your paying £1110 for the Iphone. is it really that good????

i pay £23.50 for a 12 month, 700 minute, unlimited texts and emails and unlimited browsing. and i will not be giving that deal up very quickly

Sparky

the phone costs over 150 then you have to sign up to a 24 month contract at £40p/m. so in effect your paying £1110 for the Iphone. is it really that good????

Mines's an 18month contract at £35 a month, not 24.

I have had 3 different blackberrys through work, I don't like any of them to be honest. Will see how the iphone goes from Wednesday.

not in the list, but a few have said it.

blackberry 9700 - ive had mine for about a month now!

and so far i dont regret it! it was a toss up between the nokia, i phone or the berry!

tbh, the iphone is more a toy than a phone imo!

but it depends what you are really looking for.

hard core phone - like a phone should be! with a handfull of good things. then deffo the 9700 berry!

i pay 35 a month on vodaphone, free phone, 900 mins, unlim txtx and internet with that.

the phone costs over 150 then you have to sign up to a 24 month contract at £40p/m. so in effect your paying £1110 for the Iphone. is it really that good????

Mines's an 18month contract at £35 a month, not 24.

I have had 3 different blackberrys through work, I don't like any of them to be honest. Will see how the iphone goes from Wednesday.

how much was the phone? alot of places dont do the iphone on a 18 anymore.

what about dial-a-phone. get a free xbox or PS3 if you order one!!!