Anyone Gone From a Powerful Turbo Car To a 350Z?

Tricky-Ricky

That rather disappointing and worrying that the 350Z is slower than the Leon cupra R,

But i guess any smaller turbo car is going to feel quite rapid in the midrange, with lower weight

and quick turbo response, however i would have thought that

the engine torque of the 350 would make more of an impact.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO its all about learning to drive the Z properly. I came from an Ibiza Cupra (215BHP & weighs next to nothing) & the Z never really felt that quick compared to it, but after a while you start to figure out the best way to drive the Z & its a lot more quicker than you realise.

That rather disappointing and worrying that the 350Z is slower than the Leon cupra R,

But i guess any smaller turbo car is going to feel quite rapid in the midrange, with lower weight

Ricky have you actually gone out and test driven one yet, it will really help you make your mind up and get a feel for the car.

other people opinions will give you an idea, but only your own expereience with it will really count.

i could speculate about sleeping with jennifier aniston, and i could talk to brad pitt about it, but until i avctually slepp with jennifer aniston, i'm never really going to know, regardless of how many people i've slept with before; who look like jennifer aniston ;)

Ricky have you actually gone out and test driven one yet, it will really help you make your mind up and get a feel for the car.

other people opinions will give you an idea, but only your own expereience with it will really count.

i could speculate about sleeping with jennifier aniston, and i could talk to brad pitt about it, but until i avctually slepp with jennifer aniston, i'm never really going to know, regardless of how many people i've slept with before; who look like jennifer aniston ;)

Ive slept with her, she's crap.... Angelina is way more dirty :dance:

The Z doesn't have anywhere near the low down pull of the leon.

Are you serious? The Zed has loads of low down grunt! It's in the mid range where a turbo car comes alive, but they run out of puff towards the top of the rev range.

That rather disappointing and worrying that the 350Z is slower than the Leon cupra R

I think comparing a tuned car to an untuned one is an unfair comparison. Comparing a stock LCR to to stock 350Z, the Zed is noticeably quicker. The other thing to remember is that gearing on the Zed is quite long compared to a typical hot hatch, so although you might not feel like you're accelerating much harder in gear, the end result is you are going a lot quicker.

other people opinions will give you an idea, but only your own experience with it will really count.

Yes i have driven one, but as i may have mentioned somewhere else, that on the day the traffic conditions where very heavy, and so i couldn't do more than give it a couple of quick squirts when i got a gap in the traffic.

It feels very similar to the Supra (without turbo) in respects of engine torque lower down the rev range, gearbox is also similar feel,

But in order to drive any more i will have to find the time and travel,

My questions are aimed as drawing a sense of just how lacking the 350Z is going to feel when the hammer is down, compared to a turbo car, hence the questions,

as my only reference is rather David and Goliath by comparison.

fair enough,

my first test drive actually put me off the car to start with, got taken down a busy road in rush hour and one junction of the a12 in heavy traffic.

my mate persuaded me to go again and i had a nice long drive out and really got to stretch the legs. same car but felt so different.

you seem to have turbo's in the blood, the only way your really get to understand if you can "live with a zed" is to spend some time in one. There are loads of members all over the country, there should be someone local to you who can give you some passenger time, maybe even a drive. should reduce your travel and time issues, and help you make the choice.

also when you say "gone from a powerful turbo to a zed" i don't know any turbos that aren't powerful. in their own nature they boost the performance of what ever they are dropped into.

i know my zed has quite happily out pulled a couple of scoobies and an evo going down a dual carriage way. the zed isn't a slow car, but it does give off that feeling when driving. the speed is very deceptive in the zed. its by no means a super car and i'm well aware of this. but it is very accomplished at what it does. for driving pleasure alone, it is extremely rewarding. not everything is about power. (can't be arsed to find a pic of jeremy clackson shouting POOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEERR!!) :lol:

Tricky me old bean....

You have been floating around for ages now ummming and arrrring about it...

Like I told you the Zed is similar 'a bit quicker' than a standard Supra....

Your Supra will pi$$ all over a standard Zed in a race, I had an STI and that would have prolly pi$$ed all over the Zed.

Its not about that for me though, first time I drove mine I knew it was my destiny to buy it, I did no research, I couldnt afford it and it was'nt practical but I had no choice. Its the best 'all rounder' ive ever driven.

Trust me, buy one !!! Learn how to get the most out of the engine, modify it if you need more power but I tell you this, you won't be dissapointed !!!!

:thumbs:

Looks like half the SXOC is in this thread :D

Ive still got a 270hp S13 convertible, a 370hp S13 and my brother has just bought a 400hp Evo, and its pretty much as the other say - you do miss the kick from the turbo and the noises that accompany it, but for me I prefer the more linear power delivery. The Evo is almost lag free and is savage, but is very difficult to find a rhythm in (mainly as you are braking a lot coz its so fecking fast), whereas the Z seems to flow a lot better.

Id add that for drifting the N/A delivery is streets ahead. :thumbs:

I am serious. :) Yet you follow with "mid range is where the turbo comes alive" Which is just what I said. Also about the running out of puff too :)

The 20V 1.8T engine is a corker, and tunes up great.

The leon weighs around 1350kgs. Which is 200 or so less than the facelift ones. Work out the power to weight ratio on that. When you factor in a facelift seems to dyno around 290 (is that correct? I've sure I've seen some 276's dyno circa 260!) the power to weight might actually be in the leons favour.

The 350 just isn't that fast by all accounts. The HR has over 20-25whp over the older ones though, so that seems to make the difference however.

Don't beleive a hot hatch can spank a 350? Just youtube it. There's loads of vids on there! Any midsize hatch with around 250bhp is going to give a seriously hard time. They don't even beat civic type R's by that much :(

It's true, the leon is modded. So it's not strictly fair. But the bottom line is, it cost me £400 to tune, 300 for the map and 80 for a uprated recirc valve for the turbo. That took me from 210 to 260. You can spend a grand on the 350 and potentially get zero, or even negative gains. Save for a slightly better throttle response. If you're lucky you might get 10/20 with even more money chucked at it. This has all been documented in this fair forum, and the US one as well...

I just suck it up though. You can't have everything. A hot hatch is a shopping trolley with a sports car engine. It's not surprising they shift in a straight line. But it's no sports car, and never will be. Which is why I still love the 350 way more than the leon. Unfortunately, if you want a SPORTS CAR that can whip hot hatches into creamy dust, I'm afraid you're going to have to look for cars way wayyy higher up the price bracket.

(Just had to retype the whole post because i hit the wrong key :angry: )

I guess i just need to get used to not being captain of the Starship Enterprise anymore :lol:

Sorry to go on but its both interesting and helpful, just to get a wide range of opinions, and yes it would be great to drive/ride in a few, (any volunteers will be very appreciated :D )

Yes i have been hanging around here Z less for a while mainly due to deciding to sell the Supra and then changing my mind a few times :lol: but i think i have always had it in the back of my mind to have a 350Z.

I realise perfectly well it going to be a completely different driving experience to the Supra, I'm not daft! well not much ;)

But from the majority of comments here the Z is a very rewarding car to drive, so i guess it won't be that disappointing to change,

I think people misunderstood when i asked "Anyone Gone From a Powerful Turbo Car"

although i was referring to the likes of well modded S13-14-15, Skyline GTST etc, and not to hot hatches that are FWD as there is really no similarity in the driving experience (not being rude)

Although FWD and RWD turboed cars are similar in straight line squirtabuility, thats where the comparison ends, and i guess i was looking for owners of higher powered RWD cars opinions.

I think its a shame that Nissan didn't turbo or supercharge the 350Z in the first place, the fact that its such a nice looking car, but gets its ass handed to it by most hot hatches is a shame.

As i am now in the process of actually selling the Supra, i am now starting to feel the urgency to make the decision :headhurt: so excuse me for waffling on.

My decision to sell the Supra has been a hard one, mainly due to current climate, as the prices are going steadily down, even for the very modded high power ones, so its a case of getting out while the prices are still reasonably healthy, otherwise is very little return for all the hard work, time and money spent, but its going to be hard.

A single turbo Supra is an animal, but surprisingly for a heavy car, its also bloody good around the twisties, which is one of the reasons why its causing me a headache to find replacement.

finally if you ever get the chance for a ride/drive in one, do it! ;) there is no such thing as it running out of puff, its when your bottle runs out ;)

Never owned a turbo....am i missing much??? :shrug:

Before the Zed i had a maserati 4200gt with the 4.2 ferrari V8.....which would not stop pulling all the up until 170mph....then it would slowly go up to 180+...

i can recall a few people screaming on 2nd-3rd-4th gear acceleration...plus a comment from a girl that can not be posted here... ;):lol:

and i can still see frustrated turbo owners... :lol:

god i am missing that engine....and the best sound ever...even on idle.... :cloud9:

Then again it was at the garage every second saturday... plus a nightmare in the wet...not to mention snow/ice...running and petrol costs sky high....and around corners worse that a pram.... :blush:

i am missing it yes...especially when i am struggling to keep up with a 330 diesel!!!...even more outside posh restaurants and hotels....but then i take the zed for a blast on a b road and i forget about it..... :thumbs:

One thing that supprised me living with the Z day to day was the road noise... On the motorway its pretty loud. Worth considering if you you do a lot of motorway miles...

Mines really noisey - I thought a wheel bearing had gone but I've checked them and they all seem fine

I think the 350z is very much a GT car. I really missed the acceleration from my S14a when I 1st got my zed and was disappointed with the performance. But after 2 years of ownership the 350 is really growing on me. You can be really aggressive with it and chuck it around without being in fear of it biting back.

In summary in a strightline there are plenty of faster cars out there, but as a complete package it it top notch.

As for road noise I thought it was pretty quiet.

Should be rename this threat SXOC reunion?? :lol:

In summary in a strightline there are plenty of faster cars out there, but as a complete package it it top notch.

Pretty fair comment that - I got my ass handed to me by a Focus RS the other day which was disappointing, but I was looking good while I got beat. B)

As for the Seat's, dont underestimate - my bro had his first tear up the other day with a standard looking Ibiza, and there was pretty much nothing in it. His Evo 8 is running 383hp/391 lb/ft. :scare:

Pretty fair comment that - I got my ass handed to me by a Focus RS the other day which was disappointing, but I was looking good while I got beat. B)

As for the Seat's, dont underestimate - my bro had his first tear up the other day with a standard looking Ibiza, and there was pretty much nothing in it. His Evo 8 is running 383hp/391 lb/ft. :scare:

A focus RS?? I would of thought they would be pretty close...Bugger.

The Ibiza has the same 1.8T as the leon/TT/S3 etc. Albeit with smaller turbo. But a 2-3k on a turbo upgrade and you're looking at 320-350bhp. I wish a turbo was as reliable and cheap on the 350 :)

Depends which Z though doesn't it. The Focus weighs in at almost 1500, and if against an 296 or especially the HR there shouldn't be a lot in it. Even if the 280 it certainly wouldn't be a spanking. You need a fair amount of HP difference to be spanked properly.

Goddam fat 350 though! If Z4's and TT's can weight 1400kgs why can't the 350! The bloody boxster is around 1350kg!

Looks like half the SXOC is in this thread :D

Ive still got a 270hp S13 convertible, a 370hp S13 and my brother has just bought a 400hp Evo, and its pretty much as the :wacko: other say - you do miss the kick from the turbo and the noises that accompany it, but for me I prefer the more linear power delivery. The Evo is almost lag free and is savage, but is very difficult to find a rhythm in (mainly as you are braking a lot coz its so fecking fast), whereas the Z seems to flow a lot better.

Id add that for drifting the N/A delivery is streets ahead. :thumbs:

So they get 400bhp out of 2 litres? How do they make that lag free? :wacko:

Ive driven a fq360 evo before and that was loads harder to drive than my old skyline it seemed to take forever to come on boost then as soon as it did you have to change gear cos it ran out of steam, mabi it was because i was trying to drive it in the same way as the liner but it didn't impress my one bit i know loads of people will slate me for saying that but i personally think they drive awful