How to - Fix your electric windows (.pdf)

SteveW

That's an excellent guide. :thumbs:

I have replaced the motor on one side, and removed, cleaned and returned the motor on the other, so that both are working better now. I wish I had your guide when I started, as it would have saved me a lot of time and experimentation to find out how to dismantle and re-assembe all of the parts. There was a guide posted earlier on here, but it was not as comprehensive as this one. Well done again and thanks for posting it on the forum.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks again SteveW - followed the guide through this morning and my driver's side window now works a treat!

You don't have one for 'how to fit a road bike into a 350Z' do you?! :lol:

Lol I've not worked out how to do that yet! I've been trying as well. Think I just need a smaller bike.

Great guide SteveW.

Can anyone tell me if they have managed to fix a problem with the driver window continually winding down half way using this guide? Mine has started doing this; I can wind the window fully up or down, but as soon as I let go of the button the window returns to the half down position. This is clearly a pain as it's a bit dangerous driving along at speed whilst it's raining and holding the window up so I'm going to get wet :lol:

I'm not too mechanically minded and not feeling brave enough to attempt this as my first bit of Z maintenance without knowing that it's a similar problem.

Great guide SteveW.

Can anyone tell me if they have managed to fix a problem with the driver window continually winding down half way using this guide? Mine has started doing this; I can wind the window fully up or down, but as soon as I let go of the button the window returns to the half down position. This is clearly a pain as it's a bit dangerous driving along at speed whilst it's raining and holding the window up so I'm going to get wet :lol:

I'm not too mechanically minded and not feeling brave enough to attempt this as my first bit of Z maintenance without knowing that it's a similar problem.

Thanks mate,

Before I did this my window would sometimes wind itself halfway down when I armed the alarm since doing this its never done it again.

Hope it sorts yours out :thumbs:

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Great guide dude! Successfully fixed my window 1st time - Wouldn't have attempted it/couldn't have done it without the guide :clap:

Looks like one of the brushes was jammed with carbon dust and not making contact..... :bang:

Only fiddly bit was getting the window centred. Wonder how they do it in the factory?!

All the best

• 3 weeks later...

Another thanks for a great guide. I've now successfully sorted out my passenger window.

The only thing I'd add to anyone who's going to do this is before you remove the glass, it mite be a good idea to draw around the securing bolts that hold it in place so it will go back in the right position, cos it really is a pain to get it straight again.

Apart from that, this is the best guide I've found and worked perfectly, extreme thanks to the OP for taking the time to put all this together

Cheers

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Did mine a couple of weekends ago, thanks for the guide.

BUT : having done a lot of starter motor reconditioning in my school summer holidays many many years ago, the one thing that you must make sure has happened in step 28, is that brush dust is no longer sat in between the commutator lands. This is the main failure mode! The brush dust makes a contact between 2, 3 or more lands, and the commutator no longer fires a single winding at once, but all of them, which is not good (complete failure for the motor to turn at all).

Even after using some cleaner, use a wooden toothpick or similar to scrape the crud out from between the commutator lands (the coppery bits where the brushes make contact). This is an absolute must, otherwise you will be doing the "fun" strip down and window re-alignment again after a few months.

When scraping, don't use anything hard enough to damage the copper, don't keep digging for gold and trying to make your way through to the other side, don't scrape off any epoxy under the lands themselves.

hth!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just spent a couple of hours this morning following this guide. I wasn't rushing just plodded along taking my time. My drivers window wasn't working at all when I picked up my Zed a couple of weeks back, stuck in the up position. I found the motor very dusty, filthy in fact. A good clean up and now it's working working perfectly. I couldn't be happier and would highly recommend anyone having a go at this before considering buying a replacement, even if you haven't attempted anything like it before, it really is quite simple, just take your time and follow the guide.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up with such clear and easy to follow instructions :thumbs:

Cheers