Rx8 or 350z please help me decide !!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking between the two same cars and test drove both, im obviously going to say the zed but ill explain my reason. The Zed has a much more muscle car feel to it, the sound of the V6 is awesome, and to drive you really cant have more fun in another car. its also very reliable and has hardly any serious faults as long as its treated well. The RX8 has a Rotary engine that will apparently drink as much oil as petrol, it requires much more maintenance as my parents had one for a while and they were always taking it to the garage for services. To drive its very smooth and the handling is very good with a stylish interior (to me anyway), but it lacked that raw power that the Zed has.

Dont get me wrong both cars are good but without understanding what kind of driver you are and what type of car you enjoy driving its hard to choose, it will come down to the one that ticks more boxes.

I agree with alot said here. I could not afford the Z previously, so bought a new RX8 PZ version. In truth I loved it. It handled well (Prodrive suspension) It was very well built and reliable. Don't pay attention to the OIL horror stories (2.5 Ltr of top up whilst I owned it). It went well when you got the engine spun up 5000rpm and above (Sounded like a Zipper) all the way up to 10 Grand. I kept it for just shy of 2 years.

The downside... Massive lack of torque. Never have I come across a car more in need of forced induction than an RX8. A complete git to get more power from without spending a mortgage on. However the real killer is its thirst. In the end it was breaking my heart at the petrol pump. If driven spiritedly you can get the fuel consumption to 12 miles to the gallon easy. I was in the end sad to let it go, it drove so nicely, but I just couldn't keep up with it...

The price of a new 350 plumetted and I bought 1 of the last. It may not handle quite as well as a Prodrive fettled set up in standard form, but in terns of smile factor and Sooo much torque (And mines still loosening up, 6000 miles done) The Z is way ahead. The build quality is on a par. The Z is faster accelerating with longer legs. Looks better and believe it, in terms of fuel economy the Z is 10 to 15 miles to the gallon better under combined driving scenarios, even if you drove the RX like yer granny in fluffy socks with scensors it the toes on an economy drive, the RX would drink fuel like a dehydrated camel drinks water at the oasis.

Trust me buy a Z, take from one who's bought the T shirt and worn it out... :thumbs:

Don't pay attention to the OIL horror stories (2.5 Ltr of top up whilst I owned it).

Sorry this isn't a dig, but lots of ex Rex owners defend the rex saying it doesn't drink oil, and your right 2.5 litres isn't alot over the ownership.i'm guessing you had it 2 years? but considering the zed takes 5 litres at an oil change thats half the zeds oil drank.

i've had my car a year and its drunk exactly 0 litres of extra oil. i had to do no top ups between buying her (just been serviced) to getting her serviced.

to me that statement proves, the rex drinks oil. maybe not to the scaremongering levels that alot of other people talk of but for me that make it an oil drinker.

Don't pay attention to the OIL horror stories (2.5 Ltr of top up whilst I owned it).

Sorry this isn't a dig, but lots of ex Rex owners defend the rex saying it doesn't drink oil, and your right 2.5 litres isn't alot over the ownership.i'm guessing you had it 2 years? but considering the zed takes 5 litres at an oil change thats half the zeds oil drank.

i've had my car a year and its drunk exactly 0 litres of extra oil. i had to do no top ups between buying her (just been serviced) to getting her serviced.

to me that statement proves, the rex drinks oil. maybe not to the scaremongering levels that alot of other people talk of but for me that make it an oil drinker.

Oh I dont disagree it uses oil, but as you say there is alot of scary stories. Alot depended on the way you drove it. If you stood on the loud peddle frequently it used more, but driving it on a daily commute on auto pilot as such it went for periods without using any. It is in the end a total loss system, designed to use oil. I went into ownership knowing that and accepting it. What I wasn't prepared for was the fuel consumption (That was scary) :evil:

My Z like yours loses none (Touch wood,So far) Nor would I expect it to. I love the Z and have never felt happier driving. In fact I've had the Oil changed twice already 1st at 3000m and then at 6000m (want it to be well), but didn't have to top up, even though I've played out in it a bit shall we say. :teeth:

My Boss has a Rex and I have the Zed. I like his Rex, it's cracking but he's a family man so needed the seats..... He got in my Zed for a shot and his comments were that the zed was a different beast altogether!

It's far thirstier than the Zed but let's face it, neither car is a polo blue motion doing 70mpg.

Try both and you'll soon know which suits you better.

I'd love to know what they are saying on the Rex site.

Assuming you posted the same question on there.

P.S. +1 on what stew says, try both and you will know

:drive1

I'd imagine they are all saying buy a rex.....

:lol::lol:

I was torn between the Zed and RX8, RX8 is cheaper (for the same year car) and you can drop on the PZ model with the uprated sus and its still cheaper than a Zed of the same year. RX8 interior looks slightly better in my opinion, however I think the curves of the Zed suit a bloke whereas its debatable with the RX8. A collegue of mine has the RX8, he said its great, but as most have said you really do need to drive it to get the reward, he's selling up for a Zed. I went with the Zed in the end after seeing a torque curve....torque is everything it provides acceleration..you can pretty much get full engine torque in any gear between 2nd and 4th at 40mph...that means you don't have to shuffle around the box shearching for the power..or damage your gearbox forcing into unescasary gears. The Zed was my first rear end drive car, I was a little cautious when I first bought it, scared of loosing it, but the traction stability system is trully stagering.....you really have to be doing something rediculous to hurt yourself in the dry...it's quite good in the wet too, turn the traction of in a big empty car park, and you soon realise that the Zed is a really balanced car, you can step the back end out with ease.....but you can correct it/keep the slide in control no problem, then theres the noise from the engine :cloud9: I love mine, and I'm pretty sure I made the right descision.

Buying a Rex is getting more risky. There are beginning to be some engine failures, not because the engine isn't reliable, but through poor maintenance. As has been discussed the RX8 engine uses more oil than most others and needs regular checking and topping up. However, lots of Rexs got bought by non-enthusiasts, company car drivers etc. who expect to run a car between services without lifting the bonnet. Plenty of these cars have been allowed to run low on oil and engines are now failing further down the line.

The obvious thing is to buy from an enthusiast but unless its a one owner car you'll have no idea what his/her predecessor was like. Its a shame because the car is great and the engine is like nothing else but it sounds a bit like playing Russian roulette with your cash to me.

And before any ex-Rex owners flame me, the info came from a sticky on the Rex forums. :)

Buying a Rex is getting more risky. There are beginning to be some engine failures, not because the engine isn't reliable, but through poor maintenance. As has been discussed the RX8 engine uses more oil than most others and needs regular checking and topping up. However, lots of Rexs got bought by non-enthusiasts, company car drivers etc. who expect to run a car between services without lifting the bonnet. Plenty of these cars have been allowed to run low on oil and engines are now failing further down the line.

The obvious thing is to buy from an enthusiast but unless its a one owner car you'll have no idea what his/her predecessor was like. Its a shame because the car is great and the engine is like nothing else but it sounds a bit like playing Russian roulette with your cash to me.

And before any ex-Rex owners flame me, the info came from a sticky on the Rex forums. :)

Your right Digsy I have seen the way some people treat them and personally I would never buy one second hand unless you knew how it was treated. Look at the number of grannies driving them now and how many you see on the hard shoulder ... Dunno why all these lights came on mr Rac ? But it's been a great car never need to open the bonnet even the washer bottle lasts forever !!!! :bangin:

So the Zed drinks a shocking amount of washer fluid... It went through five liters in a week! Imagine that :scare: .... :teeth::lol:

Let's put things in perspective here, like the cost of two litres of oil vs a tank of petrol? And how much does the car or a service cost?

It's not the oil drinking that would keep me away from an RX8. For me it was the test drive in the Zed, after a couple of country roads that was it really. B):cloud9: And yes, I am biased now.

The Only thing you need to worry about a Rex is the to keep an eye on the oil level nothing else. Buy a warranted low

mileage one from aomeone you trust and thats it. Its a washing machine on fast spin like the s2000 if you like that kind of drive its for you if you like a car that big bullish and plenty of low down lazy power the Zed is for you. I love both of them :thumbs:

Welcome dude!!!

I agree with Stew...it depends on what you want really...it has been so many times that i needed 2 more seats..... :dry:

As for the oil consumption after 24k miles and a good few track and drift days i have used about 2l of oil as well...

Handling wise on the top gear track these 2 cars did exactly the same times!!! so the Rex's handling must be somehow better than the Zed's....

And the Zed's back end can be very nervous sometimes...with the wrong tyres and set up...but the ESP is very good and when on the car is very safe.!

Never owned a rex but i v driven the 223 or smth (not the 192 anyway) a few times and it was nice. i love the interior and practicality...

but for pure driving pleasure, fun on the track, posing you need the Zed!!!!

I love my Zed!!!!! :cloud9:

some excellent posts here guys, i did post on the rx forum a few weeks back, to be fair they all said the z was an awesome car.

after having another hard think about it today i think its going to have to be the z , in standard it does look better and i dont need the extra seats.

Is there a massive difference between the 276 bhp and the 296, and the 313 bhp models in terms of speed / handling

think for my budget which is up to £9500 it will be an early model anyway

thanks for the advice guys

some excellent posts here guys, i did post on the rx forum a few weeks back, to be fair they all said the z was an awesome car.

after having another hard think about it today i think its going to have to be the z , in standard it does look better and i dont need the extra seats.

Is there a massive difference between the 276 bhp and the 296, and the 313 bhp models in terms of speed / handling

think for my budget which is up to £9500 it will be an early model anyway

thanks for the advice guys

For 9.5k I'd imagine it's be an early JDM with 276bhp. They are torquey ;) Just make sure you research the specs listed on the forum to make sure you get what you want as plenty are advertised wrongly. I doubt you'll get a UK car for that money at the moment.

If you can stretch the budget a bit I know of a REALLY nice example that will be for sale very soon.

i used to have an rx8.....lets just say i had it for 6 months then swapped it for the z :D Dont get me wrong, its a great car to drive! handles brilliant. but forget about short journeys, once you start the car you cant turn it off till the engine's heated up or it will flood, i also mind a friend telling me about his one too, he said whenever he parked on a hill his engine would also flood. Very glad i have the z now, but i do miss the extra seats. plus long term the rex drinks the oil. i almost ran mine dry in the 6 months i had it. had the z 8 months now and the oil is pretty much still full! in the time i had the rex, i had gotten used to the looks of it after 4 months. 8 months on and even now i'll still go outside just to look at the z, its just sex on wheels.

I've just been through the same thought process, although it also involved a TT 225.

I think the 350z has what I'd call "Z appeal", when you get in it it feels special because it's a Z car. I didn't get that feeling when in a TT or an RX8. They were both lovely cars, but the 350z won my heart just because it felt a bit more special and unique.

Whichever you get I think you'll be happy with though!

Steve

Maybe slightly off topic but guy at work has a 2year old TT 3.2 quattro. Just spent £600 on tyres 600 on service yes that's right :surrender:

Full set of Falkens for mine was £370 service cost for zed average £130-£230 and my rx8 used to cost £100 service .

So please explain why Audi feel obliged to basically rob you in broad daylight :thumbdown:

remember the hidden costs when choosing a car :surrender:

I've been in an RX8 and wasn't impressed. Sat in a 350, loved it, drove one and had to have one! So 350.

we all like different things but unless we try them out we dont know. ;)

so dont rely on Top Gear or Whatcar (Everything other than a Golf Audi or Porsche is rubbish) reviews just go and try the things yourself :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

rx8 has its pros and cons.

Pros: the handling on the rex is amazing. especially in high speed (the car just sticks to the ground going at around 120mph). the 9000 rpm redline is just music to the ears.

Cons: low torque (compensated by higher hp in the higher rpm range) which means that the rex is not as fast as the zed. the gas consumption and oil consumption on the rex is also HORRIBLE!

if your pockets arent deep enough, stay away from the REX. just the oil and gas will burn a hole in ur wallet...

but other than that, the rex is good (but not as fast as the zed)