Rant: Possibly the most boring mates ever

Anubis

If you don't like random rants then look away now - although it's about cars. :blush:

So...I work long hours and slog away like most so I can have some fun at the weekends. I actually wake up on a Saturday and so long as it is sunny and dry (i.e. today), I get small bursts of excitement caused by wanting to get into my zed ASAP and go for a cruise.

Like most petrolheads, I don't care where I go - I just enjoy driving my car on a nice sunny day without a care in the world ('me time') - that day was today, like many other days since getting my zed. However, the thing is - I have quite possibly got THE most boring mates EVER. Fact. :thumbdown:

Every time I ask them if they'd like to join me (free ride in an amazing Nismo zed with all the fancy stuff on it), they seem to shun it. Even my grandparents wanted rides in it! Strange no? It gets even more weird...they don't actually have anything else to do except watch day time TV or go down the pub at weekends (to me, this seems odd during the day for a bunch of lads in their 20's). They all don't have girlfriends (would explain a lot) and the big thing that gets me is they all live literally 30 seconds walking distance from my house - all 5 or so of them.

OK - Darren (Anubis), whats your point? Well...a major factor for this rant is that one of my mates has a virtually new Golf R32 sitting on his drive yet he never does anything with it. Never wants to go for a 'cruise' or anything, even on a day like today when he has nowt to do - the car is used for taking him to work and back and pootling around to the local shops! (In my eye's thats a waste). Another just sold his Megane R26 - suffice to say that they are into cars. They don't however turn up to meets or shows (fair enough, not everyones cup of tea I suppose).

A few days ago one of my mates said it would be great to meetup since I am always working lately. I called them on Thursday asking if they'd like to go for a bit of a drive on Saturday since it's nice and they said they'd get back to me but they can't see why not (they always do this). Then at 3pm today (Saturday) I get text saying "Going to cinema later - can that count as the cruise and we can roll it into one" (i.e. just drive up the A1 to the cinema that I've been doing since I was able to drive many moons ago). :yawn: Thats not a cruise! Thats ^&%$^% driving to the cinema man - not even the scenic route! Driving up one A road to park in a car park and coming back isn't my idea of fun (basically one of them gets a free ride in my car to the cinema).

The same thing happens on most weekends - I even organised a trip through Wales with our cars for the weekend and ended up just going with my girlfriend together (this was very good, but wanted more cars and people there for a real fun adventure away).

Any who...today was yet another day I spent by myself enjoying my zed. Usually my gf tags along but she is away atm - occassionally I'd like to get some lads involved and have a good old chat about cars and cruise about in a safe but fun manner like all good petrolheads do. The zed gets sooooo much attention and I have no idea why any young lad into cars with nothing to do would refuse such offers? Yet if I offer to go to the same local pub they've been going to for the past 6 or so years tonight they'd be there in a shot talking about the same skanky "girls" they have been talking about since the year dot (I find this very inbred behavoir, but thats another topic).

I can safely say I've grown apart from them - I'm finding I have less and less in common with them. Shame really because we used to have such laughs in our tin pot 1st cars all those years back like the Top Gear guys do - yet now we have the big impressive cars no one except me wants to do anything with them. :bang:

Has anyone else had a similar experience of 'mates'?

for me the forum is my friends network, having only moved to this area recently i don't really know anyone. i get on well with people from work, but i'm still getting to know people. i tend to find i have more in common with the people on the forum than i do with normal people. its been good because i've met people like bullet magnet, who lives near by.

my wife calls me a car geek, this is possibly why i don't know that many people. i took a friend from work with me on the air field day, and although e had fun, i could tell at times he was a little bored, and he wasn't that bothered about driving. i'm friends with his girlfriend as well, and i know she would have had fun as she likes cars as well, but i think my wife would have frowned at that one :lol:

i've made more friends through car forums than anywhere else. its such a shame most of you don't live closer, would love to go down the pub with you lot for a laugh and talk cars and random stuff.

As the Tv adverts tell you, Carrying excess weight is bad for fuel economy, so go solo and you can go faster for longer!!

LOL :lol: This is true! Always a bright side to it.

It just bugs me that only a few years ago we would have all cut our right arms off for the opportunity to drive such cars and now some of us have got them, they don't want to do anything - except sitting looking at eachother down the same inbred scummy pub. I don't expect them to love cars as much as I do, but I do find it very very odd that they refuse rides, etc?!

It's like one of your mates turning up in an F430 when you're bored and says "alright mate - fancy a quick blast on this lovely warm sunny day?". Almost everyone would be there like a shot. The same applies to the zed in my eyes - something just isn't right with them. :wacko::thumbdown:

Think I'll be sticking to meets and greets from now on... :)

unlucky dude.. have u tried voicing this opinion on your mates. im fortunate enough to have about 10 mates who love cars through and through so i can be on a drive with one group and another whenever i feel like. i think this monday coming were heading up to the kirkstone pass in the lakes.. bout 160 mile round trip just for a blast!!! u should kick there arse in to gears or steal there keys????

-ho

i tend to find i have more in common with the people on the forum than i do with normal people.

Love it: :lol::lol::lol:

Great minds, was just laughing at the very same thing whilst reading through the thread :lol::lol: Something to tell us Richard? :doh:

Anubis, you need some new mates...!

yeah, i'd class myself as "special" :lol: or "special needs at least :blush:

i'm a car nut/petrol head, always have been since i was small. and compared to "normal" people who just use a car to get form A to B, or think they just look pretty; i would say i'm different. i could talk about cars all day, and i have to remember that everyone else might not, :blush:

As the Tv adverts tell you, Carrying excess weight is bad for fuel economy, so go solo and you can go faster for longer!!

LOL :lol: This is true! Always a bright side to it.

It just bugs me that only a few years ago we would have all cut our right arms off for the opportunity to drive such cars and now some of us have got them, they don't want to do anything - except sitting looking at eachother down the same inbred scummy pub. I don't expect them to love cars as much as I do, but I do find it very very odd that they refuse rides, etc?!

It's like one of your mates turning up in an F430 when you're bored and says "alright mate - fancy a quick blast on this lovely warm sunny day?". Almost everyone would be there like a shot. The same applies to the zed in my eyes - something just isn't right with them. :wacko::thumbdown:

Think I'll be sticking to meets and greets from now on... :)

Don't take this the wrong way but the Zed is no F430 ;)

They obviously don't have the same appreciation for cars or your car. I have friends with Ferrari's and Lambo's but they would never dream of coming on a forum never mind a meet or a cruise. :)

Back on topic - it sounds from your original rant that this is not just about cars and the Z. It's also about general attitudes and about what things are important to you in life. In fact, it sounds as if you are growing up and your mates are not, and it might be a good time to seek other friends who share your enthusiasms and don't need to be going back to the same pub all the time in order to have a "good time".

Just my tuppence worth - feel free to ignore an old man. :D

Sadly some people in life are just boring... Often you make friends with people at school etc when you had things in common, over time you have different interests so find other friends with the same interests as you! They will be the one's that regret being boring when they chat to people in 10yrs and when talking about what they've done over the years they'll only be able to say I watched TV! :yawn:

they'll only be able to say I watched TV! :yawn:

As opposed to saying 'I went for a drive in my friends Nissan, again......' for some people a car is a car, many a weekend I’d rather just doss around the house and be antisocial and favour xbox/tv over going for a car ride......... :dry:

I think it's down to the person...

I work my ass off and enjoy the luxeries I can afford because of it. Most of my friends are at Uni, so they appricate my car as they could barely afford to insure it, let alone buy one.

I think your mates are a bit boring, I would start hanging round with different people, they'll soon realise they've wasted their lives in front of the TV or down the same shitty pub.

i know where your coming from tbh, its just what happens, peoples interests and priorities change and you find less and less to talk about and so grow apart, fact of life. for instance my mate i took to the hoon, we have done loads of road trips in the past. we always had a great time, but, im there for the road trip and the car where as hes just there for the road trip. Made the hoon really difficult for me, dump freind on own in middle of nowhere and get stuck into the hoon antics :teeth: or do stuff with mate seperate from group and end up a bit of an outsider. rock, hard place, stuck :(

your best bet is go work in the car industry, you will constantly get sent piston head links, all day, forever :lol:

oh and rich, im still laughing at the normal people comment LMAO! :lol:

Dont take offence at this but your mates are probably saying....

" I dunno whats up with Darren these days.... all he wants to do is drive around in his bloody Datsun.. He should be down the pub having a few beers with the lads not driving around in his dam car".

People change, fact of life..... None of my mates are interested in going for a drive and to be honest I would'nt ask them, I like nothing better than to put a new MP3 on very loudly and drive on my own in my Zed.....me time !!! I love it !!! :throb:

Unfortunately all the money ive been spending recently has lead my friends,family and partner to believe that im not a 'normal' person :wacko:

So here I am talking to you nutters...... ;)

:tumbleweed: All by myself...... dont wanna be all by myself anymore :byebye:

Dont take offence at this but your mates are probably saying....

" I dunno whats up with Darren these days.... all he wants to do is drive around in his bloody Datsun.. He should be down the pub having a few beers with the lads not driving around in his dam car".

People change, fact of life..... None of my mates are interested in going for a drive and to be honest I would'nt ask them, I like nothing better than to put a new MP3 on very loudly and drive on my own in my Zed.....me time !!! I love it !!! :throb:

Unfortunately all the money ive been spending recently has lead my friends,family and partner to believe that im not a 'normal' person :wacko:

So here I am talking to you nutters...... ;)

:tumbleweed: All by myself...... dont wanna be all by myself anymore :byebye:

:lol: you read my mind.