Re: Rota wheels: worth it?

Martin W

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with Rotas at all. In fact I quite like 'em. Nobody here has had any problems (I dont think) and to be honest I bet the finish on a set of Rotas would probably last better than my Volk GTS' did at triple the price.

Simple: If you dont like them, dont buy them but I think its a bit harsh bashing Rotas when you know fully well that you will be offending plent of people on here that do have them.

From what Ive seen these "reports" (and I use the term loosely) always seem to start....

I was drifting toward a curb so put the power down to come out and I only slightly clipped the curb and LOOK!!

or

I hit ht tiniest of potholes and look what happened!

The truth is more likely: "I drifted like a propper nob straight into the curb at full pace, and rather than admit I cant drift for @*!#, and was acting like a dick on the public roads, Id rather say it was just a minor clip and it was the wheels that gave way too easily"

or

I was driving without due car and attention, didn't notice the crater in the road marked clearly by a cone, and drove straight into it. Id rather blame it on poor wheels and jump on the nearest bandwagon than admit Im driving with my eyes shut.

or

I paid four times as much for similar styled and weighted wheels from Volk, and I wish to remain a brand whore, so I will cry foul at every opportunity if a company produces wheels of a similar design, weight and quality for far less.

hey what you doing on here chris your supposed to be on the anniversary weekend im sure theres better things you can be doing ;) plus i bet tracy wont be to happy with you :lol:

and for the record if i didnt have Nismo's id buy rotas, didnt buy them in the first place as they only did 18's and i wanted 19's :thumbs:

hey what you doing on here chris your supposed to be on the anniversary weekend im sure theres better things you can be doing ;) plus i bet tracy wont be to happy with you :lol:

and for the record if i didnt have Nismo's id buy rotas, didnt buy them in the first place as they only did 18's and i wanted 19's :thumbs:

Just having a relax in the room before we go out for another meal. We have to bring the laptop away so we can log on and sort out the internet banking for work on Monday morning. Just making use of the hotels free broadband before we go out :)

Unfortunately we are not my350z.com and we dont bash Rotas like those JDM sluts do :dry:

Speaking as a JDM slut ;) I do have this sticker on my car

je311-m.jpg

Last year while out on a run I run over a badger at 60mph IMO if had rotas on my car that wheel would have disintegrated.

You buy cheap you buy twice :)

Last year while out on a run I run over a badger at 60mph IMO if had rotas on my car that wheel would have disintegrated.

I bet there'll be a flurry of cancelled orders after that pearl....

God, this reminds me of one of Vals wheel threads.....

:yawn:

It's good to raise the safety point but as Chesterfield pointed out most of the wrecked rotas on the yank forums have been dumbasses that have lost it. I'm pretty sure if most wheels would have been wrecked in these situations. Rotas are not made of butter.....

And as for a Rota disintegrating hitting a badger at 60???? I doubt it but if you want to prove it with Engineering calculations I'll happily listen!

At the end of the day, everybody will spend there money the way they like and with the price of a Zed dropping in seems rather silly to me to spend in the region of 25-35% on the value of your car on a set of wheels that have a cool badge to run on the street.

From what Ive seen these "reports" (and I use the term loosely) always seem to start....

I was drifting toward a curb so put the power down to come out and I only slightly clipped the curb and LOOK!!

or

I hit ht tiniest of potholes and look what happened!

The truth is more likely: "I drifted like a propper nob straight into the curb at full pace, and rather than admit I cant drift for @*!#, and was acting like a dick on the public roads, Id rather say it was just a minor clip and it was the wheels that gave way too easily"

or

I was driving without due car and attention, didn't notice the crater in the road marked clearly by a cone, and drove straight into it. Id rather blame it on poor wheels and jump on the nearest bandwagon than admit Im driving with my eyes shut.

or

I paid four times as much for similar styled and weighted wheels from Volk, and I wish to remain a brand whore, so I will cry foul at every opportunity if a company produces wheels of a similar design, weight and quality for far less.

Quite.

As others have said there are plenty of examples of Volk/work/Buddy Club/etc wheels breaking/bending/cracking too. The only reason you might see more reports of Rota failures is because far more people are running them. Rota Wheels have passed the JWL/VIA tests so they can't be that bad can they? To be honest I'm amazed people still swallow that clap trap.

Volk make the LMGT4s and they are well know for corroding on the polished lips.

Volk also make the optional Rays wheels for the 350z and they are known to have paint finish issues with bubbling paint, etc.

Enkei are another really expensive Jap wheel and make the OEM alloys wheels for lots of the major Jap car manufacturers. Their wheels are renowned for bubbling paint finishes and corrosion with tons of MX-5 wheels being replaced under warranty. And we're not talking polished lips here, these are fully painted wheels!

I'm not sure who makes the 350z GT4 wheels but there having been lots of stories of those failing in the US, and not just the powder coated ones either. The other day a member on here bought a second hand set of them and found one was buckled.

My point is ALL makes of wheels suffer from issues. Given that how good a wheel looks is in the eye of the beholder, the only objective benefit that the expensive forged jap wheels have is a great strength to weight ratio which enables them to be lighter than the cast equivalent. But this is way beyond what 99% of people need or will ever notice in terms of peformance so why pay so much extra for it?

As for what you posted on the Rota GTR thread:

is it just me or every single rota design is a blatant copy of another manufacturer? (Volk, Work, Nismo and so on...)

Surely they could design their own unique wheels? Oh wait, to sell them cheap they have to save money somewhere :doh:

So Volk haven't ripped off the "classic" 5 spoke design then? Yeah, they were the first to think of that weren't they! :lol:

Getting an artist to draw a pretty looking wheel is the easy bit, you then have to go away and then do lots of testing to make sure the design has the required strength and weight requirements which involves plenty of testing and modifying the design as the testing dictates. Given that Rota wheels are going to be made up of different alloys to Volks and are cast rather than forged, Rota can't just copy the design and then start making wheels. They have to do all the R&D again for themselves.

What makes me laugh is most of the Rota bashing is done by guys driving Jap cars. Do you not realise that the entire basis of the Jap car industry since day one has been ripping off what the Europeans and Americans have been making and then selling it at a cheaper price?! :lol: Would the 350z look the way is does if the Audi TT hadn't come first? Better sell it before people start calling you a faker! ;)

I ran a couple of sets of Rotas on my previous cars and they were completely fine and great value for money. For my last car I decided to sell the Rotas that came with it and splash out and get a set of brand new Volk CE28Ns to see what all the fuss was about. They cost me £1400 (16") without tyres and I had to wait over 3 months for them. They looked great and were a little lighter than the Rotas but they still corroded under the painted finish (no polished lip) despite being cleaned every week or two. I also didn't notice the benefits of the forged unobtainium alloy despite driving the car about as hard as is sensible on a public road (a 260bhp MX-5 can be driven VERY hard!). Also when I sold them I only managed to get about £450 for them with a set of nearly new Eagle F1s tyres so clearly they aren't as sought after as people make out. Not the wisest investment I've ever made. :dry:

This time I've decided to get for a set of those 19" GTRs Rarerims are running the GB on. Having tried both sides of the coin I feel I'm making the sensible choice. The money I'm saving will go towards some respray work and maybe even a Shine bodykit (more fakery! :lol:). And I won't have to wait over 3 months for them! ;)

For me the title of this thread should be: Expensive jap wheels: worth it? For most people I'm sure the answer is no!

The only thing I will agree with you on is that if you do buy replica wheels and then but put Volk/Work/Nismo/etc stickers on them then that does deserve some ridicule. But who really does that? I'll be truly amazed if anyone on here does!

i don't understand why some people seem to have a rod up their ar$e when it comes to unbranded items. people have been copying or remaking items for years. i agree with the age old adage that "you pays your monies you gets your goods" (you get what you pay for) and some of the cheap knock offs that come from china can be very shoddy. but there are a lot of companies that make competitive products to compete in an open market. thats why its called competition. how many brands of coca cola are there when you go shopping. Datsun used ferrari styling cues in its 240Z. how similar are the style cues between the new civic, alfa brera and the new VW sirroco.

for me sometimes i'm a brand whore and others i'm not. usually in the electronic goods market, but i research test, then make my desision.

other things i'm not a brand whore, and if i can find a product that is just as good but cheaper then i'll buy it. i don't like to pay a premium for a sticker, because at the end of the day thats all it is. my body kit is a copy and you wouldn't spot the difference if you sat it next to a nismo.

i does seem that some people set out to deliberetly undermine a product/item or brand for fun.