New calipers......big thanks to Paul!!! PICS

Cragus

Hey everyone,

I'm sure most of you know Paul (the owner of the green beast) and many of you will have had work carried out by him. He now (I believe) is openly offering the service of painted calipers on an exchange basis.

I received mine from him today and am absolutely delighted with the end result. Here are some pictures before they go on the car.......BIG THANK YOU PAUL!

Excuse the dodgy camera.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

Are these sprayed or powder coated? They look good but have similar concerns to Dan if they are just sprayed. If sprayed I would be a little concerned with the longevity/strength of the finish and if the bleed nipples were sprayed in situ then they will flake as soon as you bleed the brakes. Sure Paul has this covered though ;)

I thought powercoated until I saw the taped up area was also covered. My understanding of powdercoating is it uses electricity for the powerder to attach to the part i.e. parts that are not metal the powder would not attach to thus here the tape would not be covered

I thought powercoated until I saw the taped up area was also covered. My understanding of powdercoating is it uses electricity for the powerder to attach to the part i.e. parts that are not metal the powder would not attach to thus here the tape would not be covered

That's electroplating your thinking of. Power coating is sprayed like a normal paint and then baked or passed through oven.

Are you thinking of flocking WRT to statically charging? Flocking used statically charged threads to make them all stand up on whatever is being flocked. I thought powercoating just sprayed the powder on like normal paint and then baked? They probably do it both ways :bangin:

Nah the 'normal' way to powercoat is using electricity (thus why I questioned it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating (Didn't realise there were so many methods to do it)

"The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin.""

+1 i thought it was done with electricity.

i powder coat things in my workshop, nothing as complex as those, but we do it with a dip coat machine. we heat the metal up first, then dip it into a tub of plastic powder which has air being blown through it. lift out hang to dry plastic melts over forms a solid surface finish cools. jobs a goodun. must admit i do it with the brazing hearth and counting to 16. not really an exact science :blush:

i'm sure when its down by paul its most likely sprayed on first with charged particles and then baked. as for the rubber sections if they have been covered up they should be fine. as for the bleed nipples they should be ok as well.

Hi guys, i will have a speak to the painter about it, but i was on the understanding that these were painted and not powdercoated, i know he has done a few sets of these already (not for me) + he also has done my own set for my car and there hasnt been any problems.

Paul

lookin good craig cant wait to see them on. will go well with the red badge. u got good taste lol :p was it the same guy who did mine paul? he just painted mine not powdercoat them