revised aluminum undertray, pics pg 3

maz77

mods please feel free to move this to the correct section

few weeks back my zed managed to undress it self while driving upto ipswich. few bolt were lost from the undertray, the pressure generated by air leaking above the undertray froced the left wheel arch line backwards. which brought it to contact with the left tyre which literaly melted part of the arch liner while driving.

anyway, I got the arch liner from the stealer but was shocked on the prices the commanded. the wheel arch liner comes in 2 parts and I only needed the front half (that was £43 + VAT) I also needed an undertray (that was £130 + VAT).

the prices were shocking but I didnt have many choices with the arch liner specially with the modified say @ brands hatch coming up so I coughed up the money.

However, I decided to make my own undertray. I always like the aluminum based ARC ones but they were to expensive and a hassle to import.

I had a go at templating/making my own aluminum undertray. I have to say it was a painful experience but once done it was immensly satisfying. just to keep the post as short as possible the aluminum I used is 2 mm thick intermediate grade (much thicker than ARC undertray). I been through 5 square meters till I got the perfect design and it fitted nicely this evening. those of you coming to brands hatch are more than welcome to have a closer look.

one thing to mention is that it will have extra ventilation added in the next few day (waiting for the ready made vents to arrive) and it will have a cut to make acces to the oil filter and sump plug easy.

all comments and suggestions are welcome

P1010011.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010017.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mods please feel free to move this to the correct section

few weeks back my zed managed to undress it self while driving upto ipswich. few bolt were lost from the undertray, the pressure generated by air leaking above the undertray froced the left wheel arch line backwards. which brought it to contact with the left tyre which literaly melted part of the arch liner while driving.

anyway, I got the arch liner from the stealer but was shocked on the prices the commanded. the wheel arch liner comes in 2 parts and I only needed the front half (that was £43 + VAT) I also needed an undertray (that was £130 + VAT).

the prices were shocking but I didnt have many choices with the arch liner specially with the modified say @ brands hatch coming up so I coughed up the money.

However, I decided to make my own undertray. I always like the aluminum based ARC ones but they were to expensive and a hassle to import.

I had a go at templating/making my own aluminum undertray. I have to say it was a painful experience but once done it was immensly satisfying. just to keep the post as short as possible the aluminum I used is 2 mm thick intermediate grade (much thicker than ARC undertray). I been through 5 square meters till I got the perfect design and it fitted nicely this evening. those of you coming to brands hatch are more than welcome to have a closer look.

one thing to mention is that it will have extra ventilation added in the next few day (waiting for the ready made vents to arrive) and it will have a cut to make acces to the oil filter and sump plug easy.

all comments and suggestions are welcome

P1010011.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010017.jpg

TOP DIY Mate!

I most certainly will be checking it out tomorrow!

Whats the weight like compared to stock?

its slightly heavier bud but could still carry it around in my arm pit while carrying other stuff. I could have gone for thinner aluminum to make it lighter but this is much stronger :thumbs:

TOP DIY Mate!

I most certainly will be checking it out tomorrow!

Whats the weight like compared to stock?

its slightly heavier bud but could still carry it around in my arm pit while carrying other stuff. I could have gone for thinner aluminum to make it lighter but this is much stronger :thumbs:

I like the look of that but I am not a fan of small nuts & bolts holding things together in awkward to get at places. Perhaps further development with a few more bends or welds may be a way forward if a more 'commercial' product is considered.

I like the look of that but I am not a fan of small nuts & bolts holding things together in awkward to get at places. Perhaps further development with a few more bends or welds may be a way forward if a more 'commercial' product is considered.