Japspeed K1 vs Japspeed K2

BulletMagnet

K1 fitted (and pop charger). OMG! :teeth:

Went for a buzz with the baffles out, gave it some beans and it set off the car alarm on a parked TT! Baffles in from now on i think...

Thanks Dan (Japspeed) for giving a great deal and super-fast delivery.

Big girl :p

Went for a buzz with the baffles out, gave it some beans and it set off the car alarm on a parked TT! Baffles in from now on i think...

Big girl prevents big headache!

Big girl prevents big headache!

:scare::scare:

Ordered my K1 from CS on tuesday, and it was delivered yesterday!!

So once again thanks to CS for great service.

Now I just need to not be stuck working in Norway so I can get home and get it fitted! Haven't even heard a K1 int he flesh yet, so to speak. lol

Dave

ok, and another stupid question, is the K! with baffels out legal? I know there is some legislation about noise levels?

No legislation re: noise levels other than that which also applies to late-night parties etc.

In other words, if you disturb someone and they complain, police can come round and have "a quiet word"

• 4 weeks later...

fitted my k1 the other day and love both sound with baffles in and out there both great in different ways. i like the popping/gargling with them in plus i find it too loud for everyday driving and creeping upto the house late at night and im 22. is there any way to get the same noise as you do with the baffles in but without them in i.e inline silencer. also what is the earth strap for that was attached to the exhaust thats now snapped :doh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i cant make up my mind on which to get, i like the idea of the loud sound, but i like the look of the backbox hanging from below the bumper, standard exhaust is to quiet. is the k2 a noticably bit louder? if not i may aswell stick with the standard 1. also japspeed in watfor supply and fit for £350 i think. can i get cheaper from somewhere else baring in mind i will have to get it fitted?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Really useful thread, this, I enjoyed reading all the various experiences. Decided to get a K2 as the K1 seemed just a bit too overpowering, and I enjoy the great sound but after 2 hours on the motorway I still wanted to hear myself think. So, K2 it was -

When it arrived from Japspeed, one setion of about 12mm on the backbox was not welded, but Japspeed were really good and swapped it without any hesitation.

Fitted it today. Decided there was no way to fit it without a garage lift - how right that was! As ever - with the right tools, the job was straightforward - total fitting time about 45 minutes.

Needed quite a bit of juggling and some bending of the bracket arms, got it level there in the end. :bang:

So now - how does she sound? Absolutely wonderful. As you accelerate there's this resonant tone, and between about 4000 and 5500 it's a lovely deep growl. Once you're cruising and change up, drop the revs to 3000, and . . . . you can still hear the stereo. But you give her a little encouragement to overtake and the deep resonance thrills you again.

I haven't actually driven a K1, but this K2 sounds beautiful to me. :thumbs:

• 5 months later...

also curious was the slight smell of 'burning paper' coming from the front end during the dyno, ive noticed it before under hard acceleration, any suggestions? the engineer thought it was either an aged aux belt or maybe leaves caught in the heat shield......the smell is almost pleasant, so i cant think of mechanicals or electrical burning cos that stinks!

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a K1 for a few years now and love the sound it makes with the bungs in but it's far too loud with them out. I wish I could make it sound like it does with the bungs in with them out.

I also love the aggressive look of the cans. However I'm considering getting a new exhaust because I want to get some HFCs and I don't see the point in decating the car then running with the bungs in, kinda defeats the object of the HFCs..... I would follow the HFCs up with a remap at RS tuning as already have the UpRev licence.

Alternatively I might go somewhere like Exhausts UK and have the K1 converted to a true dual system (just to keep the look of the cans) but fit some inline silencers so it will overall be quieter than the bunged K1 is now and flow better......

Or alternatively get an Invidia Gemini, or Miltek and some HFCs ....arghhhhh decisions!

For info at 3/4 max RPM (static test)

the bunged k1 is 93-94Db

the unbunged k1 is 103-104Db

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been running a K1 since April time, and im sure my baffles are shot. Ive not taken the bungs out yet, but the noise it makes with them in is incredibly loud. At 2000rpm which is about 60 or 70mph cruising you can feel your brain rattling. When I first fitted it, I used to get headaches, but now its made me a bit deaf so im used to it. It still makes the missus feel sick however. I measured the in cabin noise using an app on my phone (okay, so I doubt if its 100% accurate), and it was coming in at 110db max on my drive home. Bare in mind ive a roadster, so there isnt as much sound proofing with the roof down.

The funniest thing happened this week though. I was driving along and overtook this car. This other car then followed me for about 8->10 miles trying to catch up with me. When we finally stopped at some traffic lights the guy wound his window down and told me my car sounded amazing, best thing he`d ever heard! :lol: He`d followed me for all that distance just to tell me!

Im always getting people nearly breaking their neck turning around to see what car im driving when they hear it.

• 6 months later...

Ive been running a K1 since April time, and im sure my baffles are shot. Ive not taken the bungs out yet, but the noise it makes with them in is incredibly loud. At 2000rpm which is about 60 or 70mph cruising you can feel your brain rattling. When I first fitted it, I used to get headaches, but now its made me a bit deaf so im used to it. It still makes the missus feel sick however. I measured the in cabin noise using an app on my phone (okay, so I doubt if its 100% accurate), and it was coming in at 110db max on my drive home. Bare in mind ive a roadster, so there isnt as much sound proofing with the roof down.

The funniest thing happened this week though. I was driving along and overtook this car. This other car then followed me for about 8->10 miles trying to catch up with me. When we finally stopped at some traffic lights the guy wound his window down and told me my car sounded amazing, best thing he`d ever heard! :lol: He`d followed me for all that distance just to tell me!

Im always getting people nearly breaking their neck turning around to see what car im driving when they hear it.

:teeth: brilliant

:teeth: brilliant

Yep it was fun! I actually think the reason why garages are now struggling to sell my roadster is that the exhaust is so loud! That and the crappy weather maybe!

For info at 3/4 max RPM (static test)

the bunged k1 is 93-94Db

the unbunged k1 is 103-104Db

When mine was tested recently at Donington at 4k revs the static test only came out at 82dB with bungs in on my K1.

I do quite like my K1 but it rattles through the whole car between around 3-4k revs with bungs out so I have to leave them in most of the time, but then I think what is the point of having such a large exhaust to limit it to a tiny hole right at the end :doh:

I soon should have my blitz backbox, motordyne XYZ with HFC and ART decats fitted though:cloud9:

i think im going to ditch my k2 as well, its now making a horrid rattling sound when cold, plus the noise around 2k revs is deafening in the cabin, also makes my eyes go blurry! i do my best to avoid 2k revs now!

The rattle is the inside skin of the exhaust tips, they go loose over time thus producing the rattle, once warmed up it goes away as it expands with heat.

As to the noise, I don't have that on mine...