Gearbox when cold

magrillz

As some of you will know I got myself a 350z Coupe 3 weeks ago. Over the moon with the car in fact it’s even better than I imagined.

One quick question, I have noticed that when the engine/gearbox is cold 2nd gear seems a bit clunky. It’s quite stiff going from 1st to 2nd and also makes a bit of a clunk when it goes in. I almost feel like I’m forcing it which I’m guessing isn’t good.

The cars only done just over 4k and is a 58 plate. Also as the car is cold I’m only taking it easy at this stage. When the car is warmed up nicely it doesn’t do it. Is this just a characteristic or do you think I should get it checked out?

As usual, thanks in advance :thumbs:

Thanks for the fast response guys. Thought it best to ask here first as don’t always trust the dealers. You never know when your being fobbed off!

It’s absolutely fine when warm so sounds like the same.

Nice one! :thumbs:

Every 'performance' car I have driven is the same. I guess its something to do with the type of syncro-mesh used. Nothing to worry about as long as its ok when it gets warmed up.

+1 :thumbs: , but allways let it warm up before you give it some beans ;)

Had exactly the same problem and always prewarmed the car (5-10mins) before starting off in the morning which did the trick. However since changing the gear oil with motul gear 300 at P3, no more notchiness except on really really cold mornings when I resort to a prewarm and the overall change is very slick now :D:thumbs:

• 1 year later...

Ive just put some Red Line 75w90 gear oil and now smooth gear change when cold from 1st to 2nd, on a side note when i went to nissan to get a new drain plug gasket i said you will have them in stock because of the p3 service, he said then don't change the gearbox oil on a p3 only every six years and that is only an option too.

Kev

Ive just put some Red Line 75w90 gear oil and now smooth gear change when cold from 1st to 2nd, on a side note when i went to nissan to get a new drain plug gasket i said you will have them in stock because of the p3 service, he said then don't change the gearbox oil on a p3 only every six years and that is only an option too.

Kev

That's kind of correct....basically gear box oil change is optional full stop...most (unless they're tracking their cars or driving very hard) just leave well alone :thumbs:

Kev

Got some redline for my box too, must say that I think it's a bit clunky when cold but once warmed up 100% spot on, thinking on getting nissan oem oil for my next swapout and think Zman recommended to use some other stuff in the box might give that a go.

on previous cars i've had, that was always the tell tale story that the gearbox oil needed topping up / replacing

I think i read somewhere that you "just" put x volume in - there isnt a way of checking (ie when it starts to fall out the level drain plug) - maybe theres quite a few out there that are low on oil? (or need a top up)

When i had it previously, it was horrible in the cold - changed the oil and bingo - all was well and good

Mines funny in 1st - 2nd, so was thinking about getting it changed at next service to see if my babble is true :lol: