Gearbox when cold

magrillz

Ive just put some Red Line 75w90 gear oil and now smooth gear change when cold from 1st to 2nd, on a side note when i went to nissan to get a new drain plug gasket i said you will have them in stock because of the p3 service, he said then don't change the gearbox oil on a p3 only every six years and that is only an option too.

Kev

Got some redline for my box too, must say that I think it's a bit clunky when cold but once warmed up 100% spot on, thinking on getting nissan oem oil for my next swapout and think Zman recommended to use some other stuff in the box might give that a go.

FOLLOWUP on this comment, after a very hard few laps around track the other day my gearbox starting making the whine noise when I tried to downshift from 3rd to 2nd without revmatching 100% (finding that hard sometimes...) will order myself a nissan oil today and get that changed during the week!

Just remember if you are going to do it yourself you will need a small hand pump to get the oil in because the level/fill plug is quite high and awkward to get to.

Kev

Quick tip, get a length of hose about 2metres, a funnel on one end and a medium sized nozzle on the other (one from a silicone tube does the trick) pop the bonnet, then feed the pipe down through the engine bay to the gearbox filler hole, zip tie your funnel to the bonnet catch & fill away :D

Even after a service and having the gearbox oil changed the same is still there from 1st to 2nd when cold. I think this is just a 'feature' of the car rather than a problem as so many of us have it. I also find that if you biased the gearstick to the left when changing its makes the change a lot smoother. :thumbs:

Just remember if you are going to do it yourself you will need a small hand pump to get the oil in because the level/fill plug is quite high and awkward to get to.

Kev

Quick tip, get a length of hose about 2metres, a funnel on one end and a medium sized nozzle on the other (one from a silicone tube does the trick) pop the bonnet, then feed the pipe down through the engine bay to the gearbox filler hole, zip tie your funnel to the bonnet catch & fill away :D

**ANDERS LIKE THIS TIP***