Some advice for a newbie

I currently own a 52 plate Saab 95 Aero 250bhp.

My last 5 cars have been Saab 95's and feel like changing although the performance for so little money in the second hand market is hard to beat.

I have started looking at getting a 350Z and wondered if people can give me some advice on what to look out for when I go to see some cars.

I am probably looking at around a 54 plate and spending around £11.5k or thereabouts as I have already seen a nice black 54 plate GT in that pricerange.

Is there expensive services at certain mileage I should be aware of as I see a lot of cars at 53 and 54 plates with between 33k-45k miles on them and wondering if people are getting rid of them before they get hit in the pocket...

Also how goes with insurance, I have about 8 years no claims and pay roughly £400 a year for my Saab which I believe is group 16, can I expect a massive hike in insurance?

Would I be best to stick with a GT or is the standard model ok?

Hi bud, welcome to the forum.

A few links to get you going :)

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5091

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1781

The insurance thing is down to the postcode lottery. Get your best quote and gice Chris Knott a ring, they have a discount code on here.

I will stick this in the intro section so we can all say Hi :thumbs:

Welcome to the forum buddy! :teeth: Thats a healthy budget for an 04. No mate the zed engine is good for 100k+ I have an 03 jdm with 24k miles on the clock and have had no problems with it ( as he touches the wooden table)

So where abouts u based?

Glasgow, the budget I have set is based on what I have seen cars available for in the local area. Although all I have seen are garage sales, not seen any private sales on Autotrader.

Anywhere else I could be looking to find a good model in the Glasgow or surrounding areas?

Is there anyone with a very high mileage 350Z?

My Saab 95 still blows most cars away and I have racked up 149,000 miles, although only half of those were my own miles :D

In comparison when I bought my 95 it was approaching 4 years old and was only £7k, but Saabs fall like a stone, which is great when your buying second hand because the level of kit your getting for your money is amazing.

Also how easy is it to upgrade the 350Z, on the 95 I can get an ECU upgrade for roughly £500 but on the Aero it only adds around 25-30 BHP.

What would I be looking at as upgrades for the 350Z if I want to get more out the GT?

There are some nice cars for sale on here.

There are a few zeds with mileage well over 100k and no issues.

If you want to seriously increase the HP of the zed you will need to consider the TT or supercharger route which get expensive. A few companies have had a go at the remaps but havent seen any posts where it has been any good. The ecu cancels out all minor gains from induction kits and exhausts etc.

The 350Z engine was made to last 200000k according to a mechanic on here. Know someone with around 120000k and still going strong.

Mods wise it's hard and expensive to get more power without getting forced induction. You'd be better spending an extra 1k and getting a 2005 model with 20 more bhp IMO :)

Plently of good 04 models for 10k, some on here too.

Hi Mate,

I was driving a saab today, a spanking-new 2.0 petrol turbo. I hope yours was better than that as the gears and suspension were terrible. I wasn't very impressed after driving my Z, but then i haven't really liked anything much after getting used to my Z :lol:

The normally aspirated V6 on a Z is not under any real strain and shoudl be good for far more than 100K, in fact i see no reason why it shouldn't go much higher. I`ve had V6 cars that go up the 1/4 million miles which is why I always like a V6 (that and the great torque curve). Prices are cheap because it is a big engine and petrol and road tax aren't as cheap as they were. I get 30mph from mine, although I do quite a few motorway miles. I do have a bit or a lead foot but it seems to forgive me :)

As with all cars, FSH and be aware of the common faults for the model, although for an 04 they will most likely have already been fixed under warranty.

yes, the downside of the 95 is the handling, it doesn't do corners very well, but get the aero on a motorway or straight road and nothing much leaves it at all. I have kept up with an Aston Martin DB9 and also a 350Z kept with me a while ago. The torque is really good in the 95, remember it being on Top Gear and them stating that from 50-70 mph there isn't much that can beat it's timings not even whatever model of Ferrari they were talking about.

But I think the 350Z will be a lot more fun to drive and much nicer to look at.

Hi Mate,

I was driving a saab today, a spanking-new 2.0 petrol turbo. I hope yours was better than that as the gears and suspension were terrible. I wasn't very impressed after driving my Z, but then i haven't really liked anything much after getting used to my Z :lol:

The normally aspirated V6 on a Z is not under any real strain and shoudl be good for far more than 100K, in fact i see no reason why it shouldn't go much higher. I`ve had V6 cars that go up the 1/4 million miles which is why I always like a V6 (that and the great torque curve). Prices are cheap because it is a big engine and petrol and road tax aren't as cheap as they were. I get 30mph from mine, although I do quite a few motorway miles. I do have a bit or a lead foot but it seems to forgive me :)

As with all cars, FSH and be aware of the common faults for the model, although for an 04 they will most likely have already been fixed under warranty.

30mph on the motorway ??? Try going up a gear or two or three ......... !! :lol:

Hey Maxi,

Some good advice above, get the best quote you can for insurance then call Chris Knott telling them that you're a member and they'll beat your best, I've currently got by far the cheapest insurance I've had in my life (less than half of what my Boxster S cost me the the previous year).

You seem to be doing a lot of miles, presumably on the motorway? - on a Glasgow to Edinburgh commute I get circa 30mpg in the summer, curiously around 26-28mpg in winter.

Worth baring in mind when doing a lot of miles is that the Zed uses high octane fuel so budget for an extra 10% cost on fuel.

Best of luck, for £11.5k you should be able to pick up an excellent low mileage 04 car.

G

Welcome aboard mate, there are plenty of cars to choose from at the moment, i would look further afield than Glasgow and keep an eye out for members cars being sold as they are usually in great nic and you can do a little research into them :thumbs:

if you want to see some sweet Zeds why not pop along to East Kilbride shopping centre tonight (thursday) for the monthly cruise starts about 8pm :teeth:

Paul

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and another thanks for all the advice so far.

I already use Shell V power as it makes a good bit of difference to my turbo powered car just now so that should not be a difference and it appears the MPG is very similar to what I get just now as well even though it's a 1.2L bigger engine.

Regards the East Kilbride thing, is that the monthly meet which was mentioned earlier?

I play pool on a Thursday night in Paisley so might struggle but if I can get the time I might pop over.

As my own insurance is up for renewal on 21st March I just done a Confused.com search and found a quote which has almost halved my renewal price from Admiral.

So thought I would do a new search based on the number plate from a 54 plate GT I went to see.

I have 9+ years No claims discount which I always have protected, have had no claims at all. I have just turned 40, we have an underground secure car park in Partick, west end of Glasgow and the cheapest quote was for just over £900 which has a £500 excess when I only have a £200 excess just now.....

Does this not sound very expensive to everyone? Or is this the norm?

Quite a few cars I have seen on the net say they have Sat Nav, but reading some posts on here I take it if these are Jap imports that the Sat Nov won't work in the UK?

Can anyone recommend a good sat nav solution which fits the dashboard neatly, don't know what size of a screen is needed to fit that gap nicely though?