Some advice for a newbie

I will be purchasing a car at the end of the month so was doing more searches last night and was wondering if there is anything I should be looking for in regards to imported cars?

There seems to be extremely cheap deals for imported cars and wondered if there is a reason for this, does it affect insurance price? Is equipment level the same? Anything that needs to be swapped out or doesn't work here apart from Sat Nav?

If you were offered two identical 350Z GT's, same mileage, condition etc and one was import and one was UK model and the import was £1-£1.5K cheaper would you buy the import?

There is perceived to be a better demand for UK cars. The price of them has dropped so the JDM price has dropped.

I have never heard of anyone regretting buying a JDM simply because its an import, if the spec is what you want then you should be fine. :)

Right that's it. I'm all excited like a kid on Christmas Eve now as I have just found a car in Northern Ireland just outside of Belfast. It's a black GT with an added extra of the parking sensors which I was hoping for but haven't seen on many GT's. It's an 04 plate with 40 odd thousand miles with full service history and they say it is immaculate. Just some scratches on two front wheels due to curbing which I think I have seen on ever 350Z I look at.

They put it up last night for £9,995 and I phoned and said I would fly over tomorrow and they agreed to pick me up etc. I was out the office for most of the morning, came back in and looked up the advert again and it was put up to £10,995. I just called him and he said their phone was ringing off the hook but since I phoned this morning they would honour the original price, especially since I am paying cash.....

So flying over from Glasgow to Belfast in the morning and coming back on the Ferry if all is ok..

I'll not sleep a wink tonight, I was wondering if there are any 350z owners in the Glasgow area would do me a favour and if free at any point tonight could let me hear their car and feel the ride so I know everything is ok when I go to see this one. I might think that's just what the car is supposed to be like and its a dog...

meant to add my mobile number since I might not be online 07974 229 609, just drop me a text if you can help me out.

Well travelled over to Northern Ireland this morning and bought the GT.

What a trip back home, still loving the sound of it...and to top it all off came thru the Clyde tunnel, dropped it into 3rd and put the foot down. That has to be the best sound I have ever heard in a tunnel in my life

Car is an 04 plate in black, has parking sensors and folding mirrors and in great condition so was chuffed to bits. Still loving it when everyone is turning their heads to watch me drive past or looking in on the motorway when I am just cruising and they are going past....

Will try and get some pics and post them up tomorrow. Another bonus is with the Irish plate it looks like a private registration.

Think your right about the petrol, woke up at 6.45 this morning just thinking about going round to the shops just so I could drive it again....

Big bonus when I left the garage yesterday, called my insurance company (Admiral) as my renewal for my Saab 95 Aero was actually yesterday anyway to tell them of my purchase and my insurance has only went up £20 for the year....Couldn't believe it.

Took it to £510 but that's with lots of extras like breakdown cover etc.

Was looking thru the logbook as went to the DVLA office in Glasgow yesterday as need to reregister it due to it coming from Northern Ireland as they have their own DVLNI. It was a September 04 model so it's actually a 54 plate.

So I reckon it was even more of a bargain, 54 plate black GT with 48k miles, £9,995. FSH. :yahoo:

And to think I was so close to buying the first one I seen, same year and colour in a small car dealer in Glasgow for £11,495.

First thing to sort is a front number plate as it's a bit tatty. I take it these are just held on with sticky pads? As there are no connectors like screws etc on the plate itself, so I just pull it off?

Yup, yank it off and stick a new one back on. If you are really daring you can remove the mount and stick the plate onto the bumper direct, looks much neater B)

Well that's 1 full week of ownership and I still try to find any lame excuse I can to drive to the shops or anywhere at all. As soon as you turn that key and here the little growl it gives on startup is possibly the best sound I have ever heard.

The missus only started talking to me on Thursday since I never told her I was buying it until I was leaving to catch a flight to Belfast last Saturday :blackeye:

What I am still getting use to is how high a gear you can comfortably sit in at very low speeds and still have acceleration easily available, I find myself sitting in 4th crawling round a roundabout very easily, I very rarely use 2nd, go straight from 1st to 3rd when in absolutely no hurry.

Sitting in 6th at 40mph and you can still pull away when required, this is amazing.

After a full week after resetting the computer it still shows an average of 27MPG and an average MPH of 29.

On the other side of the coin was coming up a long slip road and had just gone into 6th when sitting at around 55-60 and guy was in inside lane just behind me, but the tw@t decided to speed up so I would need to brake and get in behind him, so dropped into 3rd and floored it, by the time I was going into 5th he was a mere spec on horizon in my rear view mirror, you don't realise until you look at the speedo what kind of speed it has taken you to..... millions of :teeth: