Refusal to Start..

gadgetnut74

Hi Guys, Another day another refusal to start ..

Last time I found they hadn't topped up the battery fluid seemingly in either service as the level was so low..

This time there's no excuse so any suggestions on battery replacement??

Looks to be a bit of a job to remove the bugger!!

While I'm on, anyone else had issues with pock marked windscreen? I also have a nasty scratch on the INSIDE of the windscreen I just noticed.. how the hell did THAT happen!!??

While I'm on, anyone else had issues with pock marked windscreen? I also have a nasty scratch on the INSIDE of the windscreen I just noticed.. how the hell did THAT happen!!??

Someone cleaned the screen with a diamond ring on - easily done. :surrender:

First thing to identify .... If its a JDM they have a very small battery which are prone to drain, especially if its a few years old and getting punished in the cold weather.

Removing the battery is very easy.... few trim panels held in with plastic clips. Once off, two battery clamps on each terminal and then two bolts on the battery clamp.

Best thing to do it identify if the battery is at fault, if so replace the battery. (Places like halfords can perform a battery check Free of Charge)

If the battery is good... you need to source the drain - easier said than done

Hi All, Well mobile mechanic and AA agreed the battery wasn't accepting a charge.. took it to Nissan, and their automated test said it was fine, despite not starting 3 times in a fortnight (having been charged in meantime..) There is no trace of a drain on the battery at rest.

(Car is an 06 Uk roadster btw)

I Paid for the battery as can't afford to lose the job over this (£130 fitted!) but notice its still charging heavily after starting (ie Volts hit 15.7v, then slowly make way down to 14v over 20-25 mins..

Just wondered how your voltmetres are looking this winter, the above sound normal enough? Just don't want to leave the car for 3 days again and it find it doesn't bloody start!

Hi All, Well mobile mechanic and AA agreed the battery wasn't accepting a charge.. took it to Nissan, and their automated test said it was fine, despite not starting 3 times in a fortnight (having been charged in meantime..) There is no trace of a drain on the battery at rest.

(Car is an 06 Uk roadster btw)

I Paid for the battery as can't afford to lose the job over this (£130 fitted!) but notice its still charging heavily after starting (ie Volts hit 15.7v, then slowly make way down to 14v over 20-25 mins..

Just wondered how your voltmetres are looking this winter, the above sound normal enough? Just don't want to leave the car for 3 days again and it find it doesn't bloody start!

Looks like you may be overcharging mate.

Overcharging causes excess heat at the battery resulting in battery failure.

Get your charging rate checked to be on the safe side.

Nissan should have done this at the same time as battery testing and subsequent battery replacement.

Alex.

Being a bit naieve in this area, does the car change the rate of charge on the battery? I've noticed recently that my voltage readout on the pod seems to be higher than normal. Not taken any specific readings (can do off the CarPC PSU if needs be), but assumed it was down to the weather. Could it be the battery on the way out? I have a mate who works at Halfrauds so could get him to do a batt check if you think it could. :)

im no expert, but if your running, blowers, rear screen, lights and arse warmers it will put alot of strain on the batt and alternator, making it work harder and may produce a little higher voltage 2produce the sufficent amperage 2run these plus charge the batt.

That would be logical, why didnt I think of that :doh:

Car batteries are less efficient when cold, but even avoiding using heated windscreen, radio, and heated seats didn't help!

you aren't accidentally leaving the seat warmers on are u = the manuals warn this will drain the battery. they work - heating away - even when keys are safe at home. (happenede to me) :blush:

Really? I leave mine on all the time, but figured as how there's no light on the switch and the seat is stone cold when I get in the next day, it's definitely not on. Maybe it's different for earlier cars?

Maybe post54 cars are diff (for the better)! My warmer switches have lights too :)

I had a 2 month spell with 6 or 7 AA callouts, when I thought I was looking I thought at a 4 figure auto electrician bill for some serious diagnostic work. Popped along as a last measure to change the battery, and as I carefully put the old one on the passenger seat, and as i did thought 'hangon.. why is that seat warm!!!! :rant::blush::blush::angry:

I have the lights on my heated seats too, and they're off.. I've been keeping everything but the lights off!

What do you guys see as the voltage a little while after starting? 15v+?

I'm still seeing 15.1 for a while, the drops down to 14 on the nose after 15 mins driving..

I have the lights on my heated seats too, and they're off.. I've been keeping everything but the lights off!

I'm still seeing 15.1 for a while, the drops down to 14 on the nose after 15 mins driving..

This is far to high if you have a new fully charged battery.

As I advised previously, Get Your Charging Rate Checked to avoid further unnecessory expence.

As I advised previously, Get Your Charging Rate Checked to avoid further unnecessory expence.

What should we be seeing Alex?

What should we be seeing Alex?

Sorry guys, was reading this thread wrong. :doh:

13.6 - 14.4 is the normal charging rate that should be showing.

• 1 month later...

Well.. another day another dead battery.. the new one of course (replaced in dec after 3 failures despite Nissan's computer saying battery was fine..)

this time deader than a dead thing.. so back at dealer.. did find it had a 0.5A draw when all locked up so something not right.. waited 15 mins for ecu etc to shut down but no change.. anyone know how long before car should be down to normal (typically 0.03-5A) load?

Given I had to pay £134 for a new battery in dec, should I be expecting a warranty claim this time?

Ok problem found but dealer being a pain..

as i'd found a 0.5-0.8A draw on battery, dealer worked on this for 2 days, and eventually found a cut wire behind dash which had been repaired by .. twisting them together .. it was shorting and draining.. probably remnants of an old phone kit from previous owner..

The problem I have is I bought this (06) car in October, first took it to dealer with the issue in early december and though battery passed test, I ended up with a new one as nothing else could be found as cause, and I was £140 lighter (warranty claim not valid as battery within nissan norms and i needed the car back.)

Now Wilsons epsom want £185 in labour charges for finding the fault (which they sold me) ..

Service and Sales can't agree on who should pay and after 3 days are asking i go in to mediate!?? (Sales say as out of the 3 months its my cost)

Is it me or are they out of their minds?

Recommendations guys?

Yes, they are out of their minds!

You first reported the problem in December, within the 3 months they think is the limit. That it took so long to find the problem shouldn't be relevant to you as the problem was there from the start and did not develop over time. Sales pay and then argue the toss with servicing without involving you.

I would recommend you write straight to the manager of the branch and say you are not interested in watching them air their dirty washing, not to charge you and to sort it out within themselves.

Yes, they are out of their minds!

You first reported the problem in December, within the 3 months they think is the limit. That it took so long to find the problem shouldn't be relevant to you as the problem was there from the start and did not develop over time. Sales pay and then argue the toss with servicing without involving you.

I would recommend you write straight to the manager of the branch and say you are not interested in watching them air their dirty washing, not to charge you and to sort it out within themselves.

+1 The fact that they couldnt find the fault until the 3month warranty had expired is theyre fault.

Ask the manager there for the warranty departments number & phone them :thumbs:

i had a similar issue with my window motor, I had reported it before my warranty had expired but by the time i got the car in for them to look at & they diagnosed the fault it was out of warranty. Sales wanted nothing to do with it & neither did the service dept. Thats why I went direct to the warranty department & they agreed to pay for it :)