Problem with car after new brakes fitted.

MONKEYSOCKS

Hi guys, I'm a bit stumped here. Car brakes were stock previously, I've had new Dba T3 discs fitted all round, pfc compound 11 pads on the front, Pfc pads on the rear  goodridge braided lines fitted all round, brske fluid flushed and 660 motul brake fluid added . Had a new front left caliper fitted as well all parts supplied by Zmanalex who has been fantastic. 

The fitting was done at lockwood and greenwood in Ashton who I've always used since I've had the car for service/mot. 

Drove it back from the garage today and it was like the handbrake was on, if I took my foot off the accelerator the car would very quickly come to a stop. High pitch squeeling whilst driving in lower gears, took in straight back to the garage and they got it on the rack and the mechanic said that the tires were free and the handbrake definitely isnt stuck on. I've just driven it home on the motorway  and struggled to get up to 70mph and the car was shuddering  eventually it seemed a bit better but when I came off the motorway if still feels the same as it did coming out of the garage. Their was a still a high pitch noise as I was driving in 2nd gear down my road. Car feels and smells very hot like it's been towing a caravan. 

I know the brakes need bedding in, which the mechanic said might be the reason why the car feels like  it's being held back. Is this normal at all? Because it just doesn't feel right to me that if the brakes need bedding in that it can affect the driving of the car?

3 hours ago, MONKEYSOCKS said:

Front two seem very hot, the rears are warm but nothing excessive. 

Could well be two sticking callipers then, shame the garage didn’t diagnose that when you returned the car to them the first time (or was it just a phone call?), but that’s an easy fix whether it’s a strip down and re-grease or a new seal kit. 

My bet is if you have Brembos, there was corrosion under the stainless sliders, which pushes the edges inwards, resulting in less space for the pads to move, so they're grabbing all the time, can't release & is building up heat. Sounds like they'll need to grind the edges of the pads back so they slide freely.. Very common issue on 4 pot Brembo calipers. Apart from a strip down & removal of the sliders this is your only option. I've had to do this on loads of Brembo calipers I've worked on.

• Like 1

I spoke with the boss man Damian, at L & G today and they are on the case.

They accept that there is an issue with the brakes and are collecting the car on Monday once Dave Greenwood returns from holiday, and they very much appreciate the opportunity to put this unfortunate situation right.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, sorry I've not been back to you, mad busy at work. Anyway, got my car back a couple of weeks ago, serviced and Mot as well as the brakes. They did admit that the young mechanic that originally worked on it messed up and didn't top and tail the pads, also broke the block on one of the braided lines. I suspect that he also broke the caliper as it was the same side that the braided line broke on, but can't prove that and they didn't admit to that one. Dave Greenwood eventually stepped in and got everything straight for me. Still got my ABS, ESP off, Traction control light coming on which was happening before the new brake parts were fitted but got a new Nissan brake switch ordered so will hopefully fix the problem. I'm booked in with Tarmac sport in January for more work I want done, so thanks guys for that recommendation, just over an hour drive from me so I'm sure it's worth the trip. Would still recommend lockwood and greenwood to anyone for service and MOT but must admit I was let down by them on this one. Just also want to say another massive thankyou to ZMANALEX who really went out of his way to help me. 

• Like 2

Tarmacsportz will definitely look after you well.

Glad the zed is on the mend.

I literally just fitted a new brake light switch to mine a few months back.

It was a LUCAS part and has been perfect so far.

I always keep a spare as they seem to go after a couple years.

My last one was actually an OEM Nissan one but that too only lasted a couple years.

No idea why they failed, bit it's a cheap 5 min fix for about a tenner so it's all good.

If you didn't know which switch it was , it's the all black one above.

When you insert it, you twist to lock it into position.

You can choose how far you insert it before twisting and locking.

If the warning lights come on after swapping it may be that you inserted it to deep, meaning when you dab the brakes the switch hasn't been triggered this confusing the ECU.

In this case reposition it so the brake lights only just switch off once seated.

Then you know as soon as you just touch the brake pedal the switch will activate.

20 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

Tarmacsportz will definitely look after you well.

Glad the zed is on the mend.

I literally just fitted a new brake light switch to mine a few months back.

It was a LUCAS part and has been perfect so far.

I always keep a spare as they seem to go after a couple years.

My last one was actually an OEM Nissan one but that too only lasted a couple years.

No idea why they failed, bit it's a cheap 5 min fix for about a tenner so it's all good.

Cheers mate, hopefully the switch will sort it, as long as it's not the abs modulator as I'm running low on will power right now. 😆