Clayed my exhaust tips.

HEADPHONES

My exhaust is relatively new.

About 6 months old.

Although cleaned weekly and given a quick going over with metal polish every few weeks, they'd been getting rougher and rougher to the touch.

Yesterday spent what seemed like 15 minutes just hand polishing half of one side til it was 90% perfect.

Then today I dug out an old clay bar.......20yrs old!

Less than 5 mins later both tailpipes were smooth as glass.

Felt like a numpty not grabbing the clay earlier.

Brothers thought I was bonkers getting annoyed at them feeling rough despite them looking shiny.
"They look great bro.......who the hell cares if they feel rough......it's not like anyone is going to stroke the damn things!"

Well actually yes......ME:surrender:

Anyway, I'm a happy chappy again. It must be all the roadworks going on this past year welding contamination and tar to the tailpipes that the clayade short work of.

IMG_20210523_121815.jpg

IMG-20210523-WA0003.jpeg

Edited by HEADPHONES
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, Umster said:

Question is, what is everyone using to protect their exhaust tips? As much as I love cleaning them, I'm not interested in cleaning them often. 

A coating is your best bet, tbh. Pretty much any wheel coating will do so do your rims first then throw the remainder at the exhaust.

GTechniq C5 or Gyeon Rim would be my choices.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

A coating is your best bet, tbh. Pretty much any wheel coating will do so do your rims first then throw the remainder at the exhaust.

GTechniq C5 or Gyeon Rim would be my choices.

Tried and trusted I assume?! This would be a cheaper alternative and one I already have in the garage lol

• Like 1

Yep, both are tried and tested, as is FK1000P, FWIW.

FK1000P does a pretty good job, but still needs regular top ups. Coatings will last longer (~10months from C5 & ~8-9months from Rim in my experiences on exhausts). Still requires regular cleaning to keep on top on - especially inside - but a coating means it's a matter of a weekly-or-so wipe down really.

If you've already got some lying around, throw it at the exhaust. You'll be glad you did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1