Moving from the 350Z to a M140i

EcoFriendlyAL

Hi all. I've had the Z for 4 years and its time to move on. I was for many months thinking of a Porsche, probably a Cayman S or wait another year and get a Carrera 4S. But a friend has an M140i and loves it and when I looked at the spec, miles, age and price I was amazed at what I could get for my money compared to a Porsche. So looks like the Z will be up for sale soon. She has wanted for nothing mechanicaly but cosmeticaly is a bit sad, kerbed wheels, a couple of rust spot on arches and scuffs on the arches as its parked on the road. Petrol release button has come adrift but still works with a bit of work. Only done 63K miles which I think is a good selling point. Probably be £6K ono.

6 minutes ago, Ekona said:

One is dedicated sports car, one is a tarred up 1 series. My brother has a 240 and it’s brilliant, but the Porkers are another step up altogether. It’s not about the figures, it’s about the whole package. 

Thanks Ekona, good point. I am wanting something a bit easier to get in and out of as well, this is for a disabled mate and an elderly Mom. Maybe one day I'll get a Porsche but for now I think the M140i will be fun yet practicle.

A friend just bought one, it's a great car and it's his first fast car and I have to keep reminding him to ease into it, and he just keeps telling me about how he hit 145 :lol:

Edited by Sim

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

A friend just bought one, it's a great car and it's his first fast car and I have to keep reminding him to ease into it, and he just keeps telling me about how he hit 145 :lol:

OMG, well I hope the owner of the private road/track is ok with that speed ;-) Lucky bloke, my first was a 1lt Fiesta that had been paint strippered by a crack head. But it was still wonderful!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

OMG, well I hope the owner of the private road/track is ok with that speed ;-) Lucky bloke, my first was a 1lt Fiesta that had been paint strippered by a crack head. But it was still wonderful!

It's not my friends first car, just his first Fast car :)

My first car was a Fiesta Pop Plus, great fun :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2021 at 20:48, Umster said:

Nice move. Only mod you'll need is a differential and if you're fussy, a upgrade to the infotainment unit. 

Looking forward to a few photos of the M140i! It's a beautiful car for the price. 

AS requested pics of the new ride which I am over the moon about. Smooth ride, comfortable and practical and I think good looking.

MY 350Z was sold for £4K in the end to a guy who exports them to France. I like to think it's going on a little holiday. He's now doing a few improvments to the paintwork. he knows Zeds well and informed me that the spring for the reverse gear was missing 😮 which I never new. Must have been left out when the dealer had the synchro done when I bought it.

The new ride , Cat N, stolen recovered, £17K. 18" alloys with brand new MPS4 tyres on rears,Litchfield stage 2 custom map done on rolling road  running 448bhp, Custom Cat back exhaust system, MST Intake, Lowered 25mm front and back, Front 12mm spacers and rear 15mm, Black kidney grills. Reiger rear diffuser, Tinted windows 70% rear 30% front, Tinted rear lights, M3 mirrors. Remap done before new intake fitted. Had a brand new gearbox due to synchro mesh failing which was done by BMW. 21K miles only.

jj$_86.PNG

xx$_86.PNG

zz$_86.PNG

bb$_86.PNG

b$_86.PNG

m$_86.PNG

_86.PNG

$_86.PNG

Feck me 448bhp. I have a standard M235i and it will spin the wheels on dry roads in the lower gears (Auto). That must be blistering quick.

I would be looking at the gear box max Nm rating, also the massive side thrust you are putting on the pistons.

That sort of power comes at a cost in not many miles.

Get the M3 lower control arms and some camber onto it ASAP, sack off the runflats as well if its still on them - it will be like a different car. Theres a clutch delay valve and a spring that you can lose for no cost, if you want to go further they really benefit from decent suspension as well as an LSD. 

Interesting thread on babybmw.net on Litchfield vs MHD management, my E82 is on the latter and Im quite loving it TBH :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Very nice indeed! My brother has an M135i and it is a weapon. It has a stage 1 map with intercooler and exhaust and drop in filters. I think its tunning about 380-400Bhp its bloody quick.

Yes Andy very quick and really smooth power delivery. Only got it in Comfort mode at the moment while I get used to it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, docwra said:

Get the M3 lower control arms and some camber onto it ASAP, sack off the runflats as well if its still on them - it will be like a different car. Theres a clutch delay valve and a spring that you can lose for no cost, if you want to go further they really benefit from decent suspension as well as an LSD. 

Interesting thread on babybmw.net on Litchfield vs MHD management, my E82 is on the latter and Im quite loving it TBH :) 

OK Doc, the M3 Control arms sound like a good option, though it does handle beautifuly anyway. Much more confident round the corners than the Zed. I don't know all those E numbers, had to google it. What E is the M140i? The Sport plus is pops and bangs so I might get that taken off. Not that I'de use sport plus if it disables the traction control???

1 hour ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

OK Doc, the M3 Control arms sound like a good option, though it does handle beautifuly anyway. Much more confident round the corners than the Zed. I don't know all those E numbers, had to google it. What E is the M140i? The Sport plus is pops and bangs so I might get that taken off. Not that I'de use sport plus if it disables the traction control???

They grip alright but theres a bit of a lack of feel when youre pressing on, the M3 arms sort that right out. Mine is corner balanced and properly aligned and the front end is astonishing, it just never lets go - looking for sub 8 next time out at Nur. 

Older BMWs had Exx chassis numbers - mine is a 2008 coupe so E82, the hatchback was E81 or E87. Yours is a 2nd gen F20, the most recent is an F40 :thumbs:

Im not too familiar with Litchfield stuff but if its popping and banging I reckon it will have been mapped in only to go when you go sport+ but Id advise 
not to turn it off unless theres nothing to hit, when they go they go pretty quick :lol: 
MHD is more configurable, you can change maps and turn stuff on and off from your phone :) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Umster said:

Happy for you @EcoFriendlyAL! Car looks a treat and you've managed to find a few Z forum members who know a thing or two about your BMW.

Hope it a gorgeous summer for you and you get to enjoy your new toy! Photos look very nice. 

yes proper petol heads here. We deserve a good Summer after last year

2 hours ago, EcoFriendlyAL said:

Yes Andy very quick and really smooth power delivery. Only got it in Comfort mode at the moment while I get used to it.

When my bro 1st got his he managed to get over 40 mpg on his 1st run up to Scotland for work with his. We were really impressed with that.

1 hour ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

When my bro 1st got his he managed to get over 40 mpg on his 1st run up to Scotland for work with his. We were really impressed with that.

I bet that's a foreign language for someone who recently had a V10 BMW :p