Road legal track day tyre recommendations?

Shunter8

I’ve been getting the urge more and more to take the Zed out on track and now I’ve had all the alignment and corner weighting done I’m confident the car will be good for a track day.

However, the road wheels aren’t exactly the spec for racing around on track due to their width and offset and I think when pushed hard will be scraping the arches, plus I don’t want to shred my road tyres either. So I have the original Rays that came on the car and plan is to get some OEM size tyres to go on those for track day duties as it’ll probably only be a handful of times.

But I want to be able to throw the Rays on at home and drive to the circuit and back save trying to carry wheels etc.

So recommendations on decent tyres for the odd track day that are road legal for the drive to and from please? 

Preferably an all rounder just in case said track day ends up being greasy or wet as it is England after all! Not looking to set the world on fire with the most expensive tyres for the fastest lap times, just something half decent at least while I get used to the car in track conditions and progress as I’m not sure how many times I’ll get to go around work so don’t want to break the bank on tyres that may only be used once or twice.

4 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

You wont go far wrong with Yokohama A052.

I run 235/40 18 and 265/40 18 on OEM Rays.

If you want to go the Federal 595  RS-R route then I have a  spare new set in stock, same sizes as above.

What he said. But the Yokos ain’t cheap.

However, if you’ve never been on track before then simply use whatever tyres you’re used to. You can have just as much fun on regular tyres, plus you know how the car is going to handle already. I’ve tracked recently on MPS4 and they were more than adequate for all conditions (including the torrential rain that arrived in the afternoon!).

I run Cup2s but @*!# myself when it rains, I actually ended up taking my back seats out (not a Z33!) so I can carry a set of MPS4s as wets :)

RSRs are good for the money, Ive used Nankang NS2Rs and they are a pretty good compromise between road and track, heard good things about Achilles AR-1 ............  

On 20/12/2020 at 13:01, ZMANALEX said:

You wont go far wrong with Yokohama A052.

I run 235/40 18 and 265/40 18 on OEM Rays.

If you want to go the Federal 595  RS-R route then I have a  spare new set in stock, same sizes as above.

Interesting that as I currently run 225/45/18 and 265/40/18 on 9.5J and 11J wheels respectively. May look at those sizes for mine then. 

Just gauging ideas at the moment so probably won’t be in a position to fork out on tyres until end of Jan/Feb time at the earliest as I’ve got to stretch furlough pay through the 90 days of January yet :lol:

On 20/12/2020 at 18:00, Ekona said:

What he said. But the Yokos ain’t cheap.

However, if you’ve never been on track before then simply use whatever tyres you’re used to. You can have just as much fun on regular tyres, plus you know how the car is going to handle already. I’ve tracked recently on MPS4 and they were more than adequate for all conditions (including the torrential rain that arrived in the afternoon!).

Valid point, I currently run Bridgestone S001’s (no idea why there’s all the hate for Bridgestones as they’ve served me well in all weathers so far) so will probably go for a set of those then as that makes sense to keep it somewhat relatable to what I’m currently used to. 

Edited by Shunter8

• 4 months later...
On 24/12/2020 at 21:40, Ekona said:

Most people hate the Bridgestones as they relate to the RE040 that came as stock: the RE050A were brilliant tyres on the HR, and I ran them on my 997 too. 

Agree. I had some RE050A briefly. They get a bad rep - very good UHP tyre. Similar to a Mich PSS ... 🤔

On 21/12/2020 at 10:48, docwra said:

I run Cup2s but @*!# myself when it rains, I actually ended up taking my back seats out (not a Z33!) so I can carry a set of MPS4s as wets :)

RSRs are good for the money, Ive used Nankang NS2Rs and they are a pretty good compromise between road and track, heard good things about Achilles AR-1 ............  

I know the feeling - running part worn Trofeo R currently

Will be taking a set of spare wheels on Advan V105S to track next week