2021 Covid-19 Used Car Bargains

hmale4yu

There's a long speculative  thread going on on pistonheads talking re potential future used car values in light   of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Any used newish performance cars that you feel will become a bit of a bargain in 2021?    

• Lexus LC500  - Early £50ks now cheaper then Evora 400s and post MY17 GTRs . If these drop early £40s then that's a steal surely?

And on a more attainable level:

• Mustang V8 - £27k mark now with a wide choice of specs on the market atm to choose 
  • Kia Stinger GTS -  £27k mark as like the Mustang. Again q a selection to choose from

The BMW i8 came to mind. I don't know too much about these admittedly . It does seem to get into that bargain territory you need to take the plunge and get a car with fairly high miles. 

Untitled.jpg

Edited by hmale4yu
  • Like 1

I was seriously considering keeping my ageing 350z and getting a Nismo 370 or a R35 Gtr as a treat as I'm heading towards 50, so this is great news.:thumbs:

But uncertain times financially for me so that thought is shelved for the time being:thumbdown:

Kinda like going to the pumps and seeing how cheap petrol is now....... but I can't go anywhere :lol:

Edited by HEADPHONES
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, coldel said:

V6 F Types are coming down to near the £20k mark 

Yes def agree and not a car that's too big to live with more urban areas. There's some nice R-dynamic V6s at the £40k mark that are bound to drop. I'm not interested in the convertibles  but these might even plummet more - same applies with the mustang 

10 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

I am hoping the gen 3 gtr drops in price

I don't think the newer post 2017 GTRs will drop as much but that;s just my feeling. I think the older ones will remain the  bargain territory and the newer will continue to retain high values catering to those prepared to pay the premium - similar to the  Evora vs  Evora 400 and the signif gap in price between them 

Those Lexus LCs could become tempting as they will def retain their rarity value unlike F types and TTS/TTRS (both can be picked up for 25/35k respectively atm)

Edited by hmale4yu

I very nearly pulled the trigger on a brand new Touareg just before all this malarky, Id be very interested to see what they are saying when they come back online - they were offering £13K of dealer and PCP incentives to start with! 

3 hours ago, coldel said:

Are the LC500's cheap? Cheapest one is still £50k and new they are something like £75k for base price? 

Agree though stunning cars!

Yes 75k base and 80-85k for the sport pack. Avoid the hybrid though I don't think its worth it

On top of covid 19 , the LC has just been revised with a mild facelift so this may effect prices a bit

I know its not for everyone but I forsee the yellow ones being the ones where dealers become a bit desperate to sell and are willing to  knock off a fuerther few grand 

Edited by hmale4yu

I've got a 2018 Mustang which i was planning to sell when my deal ends in March 21, if not before.  I'll only owe £18k on it but hoping the bottom doesnt fall out of the market too much before then, as i should have been expecting in the region of £28k with < 20k miles and some good mods, but who knows, now. :blink:

21 hours ago, marzman said:

I've got a 2018 Mustang which i was planning to sell when my deal ends in March 21, if not before.  I'll only owe £18k on it but hoping the bottom doesnt fall out of the market too much before then, as i should have been expecting in the region of £28k with < 20k miles and some good mods, but who knows, now. :blink:

Funnily enough that' literally a v v similar situation I am in with my Mk2 Nismo which I've had since Mar 18 on a 3 yr PCP. Had a look and low mileage Nismos can be had for early £20ks now . Mine is the 2018 model onwards which has the exedy clutch, darkened chrome door handles but I don't think that's enough for someone to pay much extra esp as you said given the current outlook.  5.0 in Grabber blue auto would be my ideal choice tbh 

Edited by hmale4yu
  • Like 1

Ill hundred percent take the LC,500 V8 or V6 hybrid. Prefer the V8 with an exhaust. 

The new one is apparently coming with weight reduction.

Lol I understand dumping the Nismo only for something that makes sense or is just as good. 18 plate i almost got one of Ford at 23k a year ago. Went quick. Current Nismo is a 16 plate. So you can imagine if I sell later this year ill probably just about get 17-19k if I hold my breath. I dont even care anymore tbh lol

66 plate my 17 shape GTR start from £56000 and up. May not be the case next summer. I think a 3-5k drop is possible. GTR is 100% on my list of cars for the future. Which one depends. Id love a MY17 shape for sure under warranty directly from Nissan. Some are coming with 2 year warranty standard. So we,ll see. LC500 I can see coming down further than GTR. I wouldn't say no to a 12-15 GTR if its been well maintained and nothing outstanding.

For now head down keeping the penny jar full

Edited by GranTurismoEra

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Ill hundred percent take the LC,500 V8 or V6 hybrid. Prefer the V8 with an exhaust. 

The new one is apparently coming with weight reduction.

Lol I understand dumping the Nismo only for something that makes sense or is just as good. 18 plate i almost got one of Ford at 23k a year ago. Went quick. Current Nismo is a 16 plate. So you can imagine if I sell later this year ill probably just about get 17-19k if I hold my breath. I dont even care anymore tbh lol

66 plate my 17 shape GTR start from £56000 and up. May not be the case next summer. I think a 3-5k drop is possible. GTR is 100% on my list of cars for the future. Which one depends. Id love a MY17 shape for sure under warranty directly from Nissan. Some are coming with 2 year warranty standard. So we,ll see. LC500 I can see coming down further than GTR. I wouldn't say no to a 12-15 GTR if its been well maintained and nothing outstanding.

For now head down keeping the penny jar full

A 5k drop on a 17 plate gtr would be even better sometime soon(this year) :cloud9:

7 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

Funnily enough that' literally a v v similar situation I am in with my Mk2 Nismo which I've had since Mar 18 on a 3 yr PCP. Had a look and low mileage Nismos can be had for early £20ks now . Mine is the 2018 model onwards which has the exedy clutch, darkened chrome door handles but I don't think that's enough for someone to pay much extra esp as you said given the current outlook.  5.0 in Grabber blue auto would be my ideal choice tbh 

Mine's a 5.0 grabber blue auto, which'll be on the market the month your deal runs out... ;)

On 18/04/2020 at 21:13, marzman said:

Mine's a 5.0 grabber blue auto, which'll be on the market the month your deal runs out... ;)

That's q interesting. Have you had any reliability issues at all? I was speaking to a Payco at the London meet here who also has a Mk2 White Nismo and we were saying that part of the appeal is knowing that there isn't much that can go wrong with the Z - Don't want to tempt fate but I think its prob the most reliable sports car you can buy today (NA V6, not a techfest inside, manual, no heating/electronic seats, built in the Tochigi factoary by the GTR guys etc)

The only thing with the new Mustang as Ive noticed more in London last few years is that they may be a bit too big here. Luckily about 85% of my driving has been on motorways/dual carriageways. I look of the 2014 Mustang as it had that retro look with a subtle modern touch to it. They are going for early 20s which I think is q high for a LHD and the newer ones coming down like your would be a safer bet

Edited by hmale4yu

LC 500 had my eye on the prices for a while as most lexus depreciate badly in UK. They had hit £50k before the pandemic, but dealers seem reluctant to lower prices below the 50k mark. Will certainly be interesting to see where these go once they reopen and I am sure in person there would be room to push prices by 10-15%. 

Personally I am hoping maserati granturismo 4.7's go sub £20k

• Like 1

Yeah had a gander again, £56,000 for 66 plate MY17 shape but a pre facelift 16 plate I saw for £47,000. 

Similar mileage. Guess its the waiting game. With these cars as long as I can get use to the fact brakes are £2k and Service is up to 1k under warranty and tires are approaching 1k then I can crack on. Thats excluding Fuel, Insurance and Tax which are similar to the 370Z.

Insurance is roughly the same price but if I was living in Reading I could get it as cheap or cheaper than the Nismo depending on Model year around £1200. £1300 is the standard group 49/50 price. 

In my area there are Mustangs galore. Mostly germans here. RS3, AMG, M, S5

Edited by GranTurismoEra

20 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

That's q interesting. Have you had any reliability issues at all? I was speaking to a Payco at the London meet here who also has a Mk2 White Nismo and we were saying that part of the appeal is knowing that there isn't much that can go wrong with the Z - Don't want to tempt fate but I think its prob the most reliable sports car you can buy today (NA V6, not a techfest inside, manual, no heating/electronic seats, built in the Tochigi factoary by the GTR guys etc)

The only thing with the new Mustang as Ive noticed more in London last few years is that they may be a bit too big here. Luckily about 85% of my driving has been on motorways/dual carriageways. I look of the 2014 Mustang as it had that retro look with a subtle modern touch to it. They are going for early 20s which I think is q high for a LHD and the newer ones coming down like your would be a safer bet

No reliability issues at all on mine, touch wood, after 14k miles.  There are a few reports of build quality issues on the forums, but mine has been perfect.  There is one major fault that im aware of that can occur to do with oil cooler failure, at which point the engine is ruined and Ford replace under warranty, but this appears to be on the earlier 15-17 models i think.

Had a sit inside the LC500 just before lockdown  Westfield London as Lexus were exhibiting . Smart interior,  v mature compared to the Nismo. Did foresee it being a bit of a pain   to keep clean only minor gripe esp with the lighter interior, back seats etc. Read a few nightmares with regard to paint matching on Lexus forums in relation to body repairs. 

They say this virus may come back next year as a second wave mutation (again speculation) but if it does then expect depreciation to hit the used car market again - the extent to which will obviously depend on the availability and roll out of a possible vaccine. I think latter half of 2021 prices might be the time to make a purchase

Given the rarity of the Mk2 Nismos and that I'm unlikely to have kids anytime soon, I'm more inclined to keep and perhaps swap the rear lights with JDM clears if I can get a good deal and replace the bottom reflector with a working rear brake light as an added touch. Agree the Mustangs are becoming more common but excellent value though. The facelifted GTRs still look special but the price and running costs are high for me personally

Worthy mention is that the Stinger is being facelifted soon with added power and a rear light bar so expect these to fall. I still  can't figure out if I like the looks of it or not tbh similar to the Mk8 Golf

Edited by hmale4yu

LC500 is more of a heavy luxury cruiser. You have to be 100% sure you want it. Ive seen the car in person 2 years ago. Its not a huge car at all. Guessing it all the insulation and heavy materials used to shore up the car that makes it 2 tonnes. I wonder how much weight its shed for this year.

jdm clears look super expensive. Are there any Japanese vendors you can buy directly from?

Structural Blue is a £15k option . I think the LC looks great in any colour tbh though I agree that it's the type of car that you really want. Similar to the 4C , I think it has a set purpose which it does really well making the 370z look like a daily driver in comparison.

I think manufacturers were/are trying to create a new colour to replace white as the new black. Blue is currently in vogue with Miami Blue, baby blue with Hyundai N. Yellow seems to have got a prior push with Mercedes A35, golf R Tumeric yellow , audi S1 etc as well as Nardo type greys (Audi, Focus STs, GTI TCR, Range Rover, Mini S etc). 

JDM Clears are expensive. With a working reflector replacement light I think it would look pretty good. I'm not too sure on the wiring installation and if those that have taken the plunge had any operational problems later down the road - any one here done this to their Z yet?

10 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

Structural Blue is a £15k option .

:surrender: The bodyshop I am using (extremely reputable) has said 'choose a colour and as long as it's not mica particle based then it should fit in the quote I've given you' (which is extremely considerable)

On 22/04/2020 at 09:36, msitpro said:

:surrender: The bodyshop I am using (extremely reputable) has said 'choose a colour and as long as it's not mica particle based then it should fit in the quote I've given you' (which is extremely considerable)

15k is mad money lol...2k for a spray seems more reasonable...maybe £2500 now. How many body shops would be willing to do a color change. I get the feeling they make way more money through insurance jobs and quick repairs. If it can be done in a week. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1