Nismo Leather Wearing

s1xtyn1n3

So Nissan have dug their heels in and have refused to accept that it is unreasonable wear and tear. I provided them the pictures of the wear that you guys have shared with me, but they have said that each case was different and doesn't point to a larger problem and that the wear must have been my fault.

I guess my next step is to contact the finance company and deal with it that way, but the unpleasantness of dealing with Nissan customer service has been the real kicker here - despite the efforts I have made to provide them with all the details, pictures and evidence they have asked for, they have quickly dismissed all of it, not even inspected the car in person and continued to blame me for it making it abundantly clear that they would not cover it in whole or in part under warranty or out as a gesture of goodwill.

The only trouble you have is that the wear is in EXACTLY the same place that every single car ever wears, on the outside bolster on the driver seat where people slip into their seat and rub over it. It’s very possible that the wear was caused by someone being heavy-handed when getting in, and even though the mileage is low that could easily be 3500 one mile journeys which equates to a lot more entry/exit moves than 35 one hundred mile journeys. 

Personally I’d be trying to be as nice as possible to them to get them to back down, or even just asking for a contribution towards repairs, as I’m not sure there’s a winnable case here if you take it to the end game. 

I've been as civil as I can be - I'm tempted to post the email chain up here - but they have been disinterested and dismissive the entire time. 

The fact is, the damage isn't that bad and could be repaired pretty cheaply (I could probably do a reasonable enough job with stuff i could get from Halfords). My concern is that it has happened so fast which doesn't give me confidence that it is fit for purpose (i.e. years of ownership, not months).

Doing some maths; if you combine the sales data online which as of May put the number of 370Z sold in the UK at 74 (https://www.topgear.com/car-news/opinion/why-nissan-370z-marks-end-era) and Autocar's statistic that approximately half of all 370Z's sold in the UK are now the Nismo (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/nissan/370z-nismo), suggests that there were approximately 37 2018 Nismo's on the road when my car first started showing signs of wear on the seat. If you then take the number of people that have shown photographic proof of the same wear to their 2018 Recaro seats in this thread alone (3), then that accounts for > 8% of all UK 2018 370Z Nismos sold this year having the same problem...

4 hours ago, s1xtyn1n3 said:

but they have said that each case was different and doesn't point to a larger problem

I would make it very clear you know of other people who have had seats replaced (as verified on here), the wear is in exactly the same place so obviously it does point to a larger problem and each case isnt different due to it being the same place wearing and if they refuse to uphold your claim you will be taking it further.

On the flip side i cant help but agree with Ekona, my Nissan Elgrand side bolster is worn, as was both my 350z's and just about every other car i have owned with bolstered seats and on that part i just see it as the nature of the beast with bolstered seats, we all want nice soft leather, but no wear, its a catch 22.

Well either your man on the first page is lying or they are, ask the dude on here if he has anything from Nissan to support your claim that his seats were replaced.

Doesnt sound like Nissan have the best back up to be fair, ive been reading a fair few problems on the gtr forum with similar feelings towards Nissan and lack of after sales, let alone Bikeracer where they have even admitted its out of tolerance.

Only other route as suggested is to contact your finance company and let them fight your case.

• Like 1

I can guarantee that my seat backs have been replaced twice. I will try and see if I have any of the warranty invoices to hand. 

I had absolutely no resistance from Nissan what so ever. Garage ordered the parts and they came in a few weeks later then were fitted. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ekona said:

Backs? Not fronts/side bolsters?

I mean the back of the seat including bolsters and front. The seat comes as a base and back. The base had no issues and therefore was not replaced.

Edited by bigjackb

On 24/09/2018 at 13:01, s1xtyn1n3 said:

They disputed that also saying that they have no evidence of seats being replaced under warranty since 2017

They have agreed back in February to replace my drivers seat on my 2018 Nismo, however as I am currently rejecting the car I have not had the seat replaced.

On 24/09/2018 at 13:01, s1xtyn1n3 said:

They disputed that also saying that they have no evidence of seats being replaced under warranty since 2017

If you haven't already, PM Bikeracer and bigjackb to get their reg's and nissan dealer details, send on to Nissan UK - then they can't dispute ;)

• 7 months later...

Just to add my 2 cents, mine Is also suffering from the same wear, i noticed it in around 7000miles. I purchased the car in December 2016. Nissan are replacing the seat under warranty in a couple of weeks. 

Dealer is Lookers in Newcastle who have been spot on about it to be fair.