World Cup

LRF4N

On 02/07/2018 at 21:45, ZMANALEX said:

Mmmmm, not exactly sure the great Eric or kung fu Eric is one to comment on the etiquette of the game  

2 hours ago, coldel said:

.Stuff

They still didnt manage to score a goal in open play and conceded, no matter how well their tactics fared or how hard they worked it is a side they should have been able to beat in open play imho, you can recognise their tactics and work effort as much as you want,  they will face much better than Colombia so they will have to improve or do a Russia, defend like their lives depended on it and go pot luck on penalties.

• Like 1

They won't face better than colombia until the final...I have no problem with the team not scoring from open play at all not every team can carve open chances like a 70s Brazilian team. It's a results sport nothing is given for style. If we keep winning free kicks penalties corners etc that result in goals we are the envy of many teams in that respect.

Winning one out of 8 in competition against Sweden, i admire your optimism, i dont think the Swedes will be any less hard to beat than Columbia, its fair comment nothing is given for style, i am not asking them to be stylish, i am suggesting they need to score in open play (against decent opposition) to be in with a chance and then Croatia or Russia, neither would be easy.

I agree with most though, its probably the best chance they have had for a long time and its by far the best team than we have had for a long time, but, we arent going to beat any of the next opponents relying on getting penalties, we need to score in open play.

I really hope i get to eat my words and they go on, but lets not blow sm*ke up their a****, they need to perform better as nothing is given in a penalty shoot out!

• Like 1

What a game that was. Sometimes watching 2 big teams can be a boring game if they cancel each other out but that was awesome 

Neymar makes himself look like such a pansy the way he plays. Always looking for a foul, never a quick pass. Shame, cos he’s effective when he does

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Courtois for me. Didn't put a single foot or hand wrong all game, utterly imperious at the back.

I suspect we've just seen the winners play tonight.

I hope so (I got them in the works sweepstake) unless Eng.. no stop :lol:

England will lose tomorrow to Sweden, probably just 1-0 though. We'll fold and wimp out, like always. Sweden play as a proper unit, so I can't see us going any further.

That said, a quarter final is much better than we thought we might get, and I'll take that from this relatively young team. Even if we get smashed 5-0, Southgate has done exceptionally well and made some big calls in calling time on Rooney and Hart's international careers. Bringing some fresh faces in has really worked.

1 minute ago, Ekona said:

England will lose tomorrow to Sweden, probably just 1-0 though. We'll fold and wimp out, like always. Sweden play as a proper unit, so I can't see us going any further.

That said, a quarter final is much better than we thought we might get, and I'll take that from this relatively young team. Even if we get smashed 5-0, Southgate has done exceptionally well and made some big calls in calling time on Rooney and Hart's international careers. Bringing some fresh faces in has really worked.

However people are very short minded. A defeat to Sweden would see the nation on the players backs right away without a thought for the positives prior to the match. 

An early goal is key. Press like we did against Tunisia for the first 20 mins and score a goal and Sweden are out of the comfort zone. The longer it goes on at 0-0, advantage Sweden. 

As a huge Spurs fan, its good to see Trippier performing as well as he is on the National stage after being so consistent over the last few years for Spurs.

Walker still looks like a liability, Alli is off the pace, and from the start id have liked to see him play behind Kane with Dier/Loftus Cheek in the middle with Kane up on his own.

I think the way we've played has been good for the UK tbh, its nice to see a bit of belief in the fans, but after Belgium today, i cant see anything other than a Belgium vs Croatia Final

Well.. that was more comfortable than usual, borderline enjoyable :teeth:

Probably Russia?. Croatia are technically a very good side. Modric & Rakitic are world class in the middle.

Russia are.. the host nation, that's all, but it seems to count for ALOT. 

On 07/07/2018 at 19:12, coldel said:

It's so annoying England scoring goals from set pieces instead of open play - its holding them back so much, how can they possibly win games like that...  :lol:

If you going to try and have a pop, at least be accurate, i said they need to score in open play, set pieces are open play, they did score in open play and they won :teeth: 

Edited by Jetpilot

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

If you going to try and have a pop, at least be accurate, i said they need to score in open play, set pieces are open play, they did score in open play and they won :teeth: 

Huh? Set pieces are not open play, I'm not sure how you derived that definition? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_piece_(football)

And yes, was a bit of a pop, whilst slightly inebriated, for which I apologise...:drunk: