I went too far...

LewisH

tldr: I added HFC's to my already very loud custom back section and my car set off the neighbours car alarms on cold start... 

Looking for suggestions on rear sections that; match with HFC's, sound sporty but not apocalyptic on start or the motorway. 

Full story inc pics

A year ago I went to Infinity Exhausts and had them fit a fantastic custom rear section to my Mk2 Nismo. It was the perfect fitment and had a brutal but not overpowering sound. The OEM Nismo exhaust is woefully quiet. 

Here it is. 

18527736_10155446377653447_1244900049816

A week ago I ordered some Berk HFC's (shout out to TORQEN for the crazy fast delivery) I didn't expect them to make too much difference to the noise but boy was I wrong... aside from the antisocial alarm triggering cold start, it was painful on the motor way 70+ mph. 

HFC's on. 

34532905_10156558084783447_3390558062338

The custom system + HFC's honestly sounded like a V12 in tunnels. 

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.9040-2/34332249_629119430764015_5231747023861972992_n.mp4?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJybHIiOjMwMCwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoic3ZlX3NkIn0%3D&rl=300&vabr=159&oh=d1b944e5ac1ebd06b81adfb50076b3d6&oe=5B170837

(not sure if the vid link will work) 

I lasted a week before having my OEM Nismo box put back on. I'd really like to keep the HFC's for eventual tuning. The Nismo box, as before, is too damn quiet so now I'm basically back where I started. What i'd like to find now is a great rear system that sounds sporty but will allow me to not wince when I turn it on and not give me a headache on the motorway. 

15 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Put the Nismo back on? 

The Nismo is back on but just sounds like stock now with the HFC's. Too quiet! 

Some very nice systems suggested but I really don't want to spend that kind of money right now. 

I might just get a new custom system made that is a quieter spec. Or looking at something like this: 

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/370z/exhausts/exhaust-systems/9383-370z-aam-competition-s-line-axle-back-short-tail-exhaust-burnt-titanium-tips-resonated-aamc37e-tss-res-ss.html 

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/06/2018 at 20:14, jollyranchers said:

did you notice any performance improvement with the berks on ?

Throttle response certainly felt different, better I think. Once I've got a full system I'm happy with I'll get it dyno'd and tuned. 

20 minutes ago, EvansJD2112 said:

Cobra HFCs + Ark Grip
On my old 370Z.. Had them moved to my new one in April.
Love the sound and no problem on my daily commute up and down motorway.

Sounds awesome! 

The cold start sounded similar to my custom + HFC setup which unfortunately set peoples alarms off :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

You should have got ART Pipes they’re a fair bit quieter than any HFCs. I have the same above Ark Grip, with but ART Pipes setup and its much quieter than the above video. 

Im selling my ark Grip soon as I’m fitting a motordyne shockwave next week. With any HFCs/decat you need to plan to buy one of the quieter cat backs. I can post a few videos if anyone wants, but it’s the ART Pipes I feel that reduce/Eliminate any drone