Leather repair paint from Angelus (now with 7 month update)

HEADPHONES

Following on from the lazy quick fix above which will leave you with black hands :lol:

I purchased some leather acrylic paint from Angelus after watching numerous YouTube videos of how people use it to repair trainers and handbags.

IMG-20180223-WA0003

Cost about a fiver each and £2.50 p&p.

They recommend a deglazer first, but it's just acetone which is basically nail polish remover!

My Zeds side bolster has started to show wear after 13 years of being my daily despite climbing in and out carefully to prevent excessive rubbing.

IMG_20180223_153837

The seat base also showing wear at the seam.

IMG_20180223_153902_01

So yesterday I gave the seats a good scrub with Dr Leather wipes, then a wipe with a damp towel.

Today I gave a light scrub with a cotton bud dipped in acetone to the affected areas.

After 3 light coats of the FLAT BLACK paint from Angelus....

IMG_20180223_155209IMG_20180223_155352

I have to let this dry and put the top coat sealer tomorrow.

I'll be using the MATT ACRYLIC FINISHER.

I'll update when it's done, but so far I'm pretty chuffed for the small price paid.

Edited by HEADPHONES
Update
  • Like 1

IMG_20180224_155209

2 light coats of the Matt finisher/sealer applied and dried and the finish now blends into the surrounding perfectly.

The Flat Black from Angelus is a perfect match for the zed black leather.

The amount of gloss/sheen from the top coat sealer can be dulled further with the addition of Angelus Duller mixed in with the Matt Acrylic Finisher.

If my seats were new and more matt I think the Duller would be required but on 13 yrs old seats the Matt Acrylic Finisher is just right.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, it's now 7 months since my repair. Here are some pics to compare how things are holding up.

February

IMG_20180223_153837

Now

2018-09-20_07-51-23

Steering wheel scrape in February

IMG_20180223_153913

Now

IMG_20180920_091856

So it's not doing too bad.

The colour/gloss match seems to suit an older leather seat like mine but may be too shiny for a 1-3 yr old car.

Deffo better than leaving it worn especially for the price of a pizza!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 25/10/2018 at 21:01, HEADPHONES said:

Hi I have order the product you used. Though, for those interested, the second didn't work.   But if u search for it the product will come up. Hope it helps

• Like 2