Jump to content
Beefy

G.R.A.M.S Rear window Louvers [FINALLY]

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

I know a lot of people are interested in the Zakustech rear window louvers, Turns out, G.R.A.M.S styling has started manufacturing their own for £200 + (Depending on Carbon Fibre, spoiler, etc.)

I bought them straight away as I have the G.R.A.M.S Skirts already and their quality is pretty good.

http://www.gramsstyling.co.uk/shop-2/nissan-350z-rear-window-louvers-2/
 

Will report on fitting  (Probably do a quick guide or something) and finish.

They look like they're connected with tape. I would suggest 3M VHB tape for fixings personally. Looks like it will need a rear wiper delete as well.

Will report as soon as they arrive.

- Beefy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks promising. What option did you go for black,white or carbon fibre ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting but by the looks of it only has a gel coat on top so will need spraying for a gloss finish

 

keep us updated anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PPod said:

This looks promising. What option did you go for black,white or carbon fibre ?

Went for the black, Will let you know how the finish is. If it's the same finish as the skirts, they'll be no need to repaint them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the look of louvers but the fact they can only be fitted one way using adhesive, it coming off at motorway speeds worries me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mr v6 said:

Like the look of louvers but the fact they can only be fitted one way using adhesive, it coming off at motorway speeds worries me.

I did R&D for Nissan Europe for a while in their aftersales and accessories department.

Pretty much all of the exterior trim pieces is held on with tape. In all the tests I've never know one to fail during testing, and we've had vehicles up to 120mph+ without full adhesion.

As long as you prep the area correctly, so their is no dirt, decent contact patch, it'll be fine.

If you're mega worried, use 3M VHB tape, the stuff is genuinely more robust than most mechanical fixings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I still go for bolts as well with larger pieces if your using adhesive that has maximum contact with the two pieces your effectively spreading any load across a much wider surface. Imagine a spoiler, 6 bolts, so the load on the spoiler is being spread over 6 points, if your exerting 6kg of force then each bolt is supporting 1 kg (assuming an even load which obviously never happens)  that's 1kg on the mount points, (maybe 2cm square) with adhesive your looking to spread that 6kg over say 1 square meter, your exerting much less force on a single point. Most adhesive works from suction as well, once gripped and solid it's very hard to remove! It's perhaps not obvious when thinking about because you think the bolts are stronger, that's true but it's not the bolts that are the weak point it's your mounting points!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so I've finally been able to get back for some modding goodness.

Car is currently away having the PU Nismo V2 bumer painted.

Anyway, finally the louvers have arrived:


nuuyrg1.jpg

I must admit, they're not up to the same standards as the other G.R.A.M.S Items I've recieved. and required a bit of sanding.

The paintwork and cutting from the mould aren't amazing. Although from a distance, you wont notice. I'm a bit of a stickler for the details, so I've spent some time sanding bits down where the paint has been peeling, and where the molding was a bit @*!#.
ka30FvT.jpg

 

 

KrHSMeS.jpg

233JcMB.jpg

They're surprisingly thin for fibreglass parts, but do have some ribs built in, I assume as this part does have to bend, it supports the structure a bit more...

The underside did need sanding ithout a doubt. the quality control at G.R.A.M.S this time hasn't been great. Unlke the skirts I got from them which were fantastic...

Going to do some painting tomorrow, a few times with primer, then a clear coat.

Will try to fit them in the evening if I feel they're okay.

I'm more interested in the fitment of these parts than the finish, as all fibreglass parts are a bit naff IMHO.

I did expect better quality however.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also spent some time cutting excess from these with a dremel.
Remember if you're cutting with fibreglass to always be in a well ventalated area and wear a mask.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to say that actually looks terrible :headhurt:.....it is very disappointing paying money for a crap product...that is why I had my doubts about them....

 

If I were you I will send it back ,ask for the refund and get a Zakustech one

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a shame, i have the GRAMS sideskirts aswell and as you say they're really good quality.

 

maybe this was just a bad mould seeming its a new item, still tempted by these myself so will be interesting to see what the fitment is like aswell if they are as good as the skirts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to fit them anyway, will see what i think when they're all on. If they look alright for a distance, I will keep them and probably use filler and paint them again in the summer.

I'm tempted to say they might break when fitted as it's colder than normal at the moment, but we'll see.

Painting has commenced today. 3 coats of primer, 2 coats of colour (Black) and will proceed with 2 clear coats for good measure. Looking for Satin/Matt black ideally.

The paint has split in a few places and looks patchy already. It seems that it's just a really bad mold that they're using, They need to refine the process. Will update with more pic as and when they're fitted.

Overall at the moment 4/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i got the carbon one the quality is crap aswell am waiting on them getting back to me before a start shouting at thum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got this email today 

So can now directly order from UK. Works out £650 but no idea on import charges 

Screenshot_20180127-104039_01.jpg

Screenshot_20180127-103945.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm just old, but I'd not buy from someone who calls me Fam on an email :lol:

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jay84 said:

Maybe I'm just old, but I'd not buy from someone who calls me Fam on an email :lol:

They are a family from zoicety so treat anyone like that with a Z 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I think you were right the first time...!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 22:21, Beefy said:

Okay, so I've finally been able to get back for some modding goodness.

Car is currently away having the PU Nismo V2 bumer painted.

Anyway, finally the louvers have arrived:


nuuyrg1.jpg

I must admit, they're not up to the same standards as the other G.R.A.M.S Items I've recieved. and required a bit of sanding.

The paintwork and cutting from the mould aren't amazing. Although from a distance, you wont notice. I'm a bit of a stickler for the details, so I've spent some time sanding bits down where the paint has been peeling, and where the molding was a bit @*!#.
ka30FvT.jpg

 

 

KrHSMeS.jpg

233JcMB.jpg

They're surprisingly thin for fibreglass parts, but do have some ribs built in, I assume as this part does have to bend, it supports the structure a bit more...

The underside did need sanding ithout a doubt. the quality control at G.R.A.M.S this time hasn't been great. Unlke the skirts I got from them which were fantastic...

Going to do some painting tomorrow, a few times with primer, then a clear coat.

Will try to fit them in the evening if I feel they're okay.

I'm more interested in the fitment of these parts than the finish, as all fibreglass parts are a bit naff IMHO.

I did expect better quality however.

 

OMG  what a finish to send out. Hope you can get it to your satisfaction  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/01/2018 at 22:24, veilside z said:

OMG  what a finish to send out. Hope you can get it to your satisfaction  :)

 

Yeah, pretty shocking.

They're sending another set out soon however.

If these ones are also poor quality, I'll send them back and get a full refund.

On another note, rumours that Tarmac Sports will be doing rear louvers soon, as well as the fact you can now buy them from Zakustech as well should mean there is a nice selection to choose from soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 08:18, Jake.Lowther said:

Any news on this interested in buying them, might risk it for a chocolate biscuit 

steer clear of them there is alot of people sending them back after they bought the grams ones for **** poor quality, either wait until someone here in the UK can make a decent metal set or buy from the US 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Apoc124 said:

steer clear of them there is alot of people sending them back after they bought the grams ones for **** poor quality, either wait until someone here in the UK can make a decent metal set or buy from the US 

How bad is bad, i know a lot of FRP parts need work doing to them your crushing my dreams Zacks waiting list takes ages

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G.R.A.M.S. are getting worse as time goes on. When they started out, the general work was quite good (just needing finishing off as a general rule) but now I find that they are just getting stuff out so fast that they don't seem to be bothered. The quality of this louvre, in my opinion is disgraceful and at best should only have sold as a 'second'. Sadly, the more we accept this quality from companies, the more they are happy to produce it. 

Well done for demanding a new one and you're absolutely spot on with not accepting anything like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×