The EV problem.

Zeezeebaba

Is a really economical diesel healthier for the environment at the minute?

Yes if you consider co2 emissions which is what they were all obsessed with 15 years ago but no if you consider the toxic particles diesels emit . These are killing people now- today , co2 will kill people in the future if we cant reduce it (Although its probably too late )

We've got PVC doors, cavity wall and extra loft insulation, and all doors leading outside go to a pvc doored passageway or porch before getting outside and the huse is never cold in winter. We got a new boiler last year and our bills more than halved. I am interested in getting solar roof panels but we want to move out in a year or 2.

Its an interesting point about transporting the prius from Japan all round the world as we do with other cars, and we berate the carbon cost of building an EV car, but i wonder how it compares to building a fossil fuelled car. Is a really economical diesel healthier for the environment at the minute?

My solution would be to have live wire mesh above motorways and duel carriageways like dodgems, wont cost much to implement at all :lol:

Edit: A bit like the underground cars in the ace Super Mario Bros film

Believe it or not, in this respect the majority of the Athens buses are 'dodgems', they are free wheeling (as opposed to tracks) and are a normal bus in every way, except for a huge dodgems metal connection thingy on the top and electric power only, these things are 20 years old most of em. The electric connection fails often and the drivers have a tool they use to re-seat the cable. It works quite well tbh, they aren't down for long. It's not a net like the totally free roam style of dodgems, but the cables criss cross all of athens.

• Like 1

Every little bit helps we fitted triple glazing and a new front door and reckon we saved £300-£400 per year in heating alone wished we had done it years ago

But just think if everyone did it !

All these energy saving devices still have to paid for and you are just moving the industry away from one thing to another, so whats the environmental impact of increased production of pv panels, triple glazing, insulation etc etc ??

Sorry i just cant understand the, i am saving "x" a year mentality, when its cost you more to implement these things in the first place, in my new build i have, 120mm insulation in the floor, 75mm in the walls, 100mm loose fill in the ceilings, pv panels, thats probably £7k in insulation and energy saving on just a small 2 bed house, i doubt i would get anywhere near a £7k saving.

Every little helps, well if turning up to clear up a volcano with a dustpan and brush is a help, your on the money. :surrender:

Edited by Jetpilot

We've got PVC doors, cavity wall and extra loft insulation, and all doors leading outside go to a pvc doored passageway or porch before getting outside and the huse is never cold in winter. We got a new boiler last year and our bills more than halved. I am interested in getting solar roof panels but we want to move out in a year or 2.

Its an interesting point about transporting the prius from Japan all round the world as we do with other cars, and we berate the carbon cost of building an EV car, but i wonder how it compares to building a fossil fuelled car. Is a really economical diesel healthier for the environment at the minute?

My solution would be to have live wire mesh above motorways and duel carriageways like dodgems, wont cost much to implement at all :lol:

Edit: A bit like the underground cars in the ace Super Mario Bros film

Believe it or not, in this respect the majority of the Athens buses are 'dodgems', they are free wheeling (as opposed to tracks) and are a normal bus in every way, except for a huge dodgems metal connection thingy on the top and electric power only, these things are 20 years old most of em. The electric connection fails often and the drivers have a tool they use to re-seat the cable. It works quite well tbh, they aren't down for long. It's not a net like the totally free roam style of dodgems, but the cables criss cross all of athens.

Trolley buses. We had them in some cities over here years ago.

Every little bit helps we fitted triple glazing and a new front door and reckon we saved £300-£400 per year in heating alone wished we had done it years ago

All these energy saving devices still have to paid for and you are just moving the industry away from one thing to another, so whats the environmental impact of increased production of pv panels, triple glazing, insulation etc etc ??

Sorry i just cant understand the, i am saving "x" a year mentality, when its cost you more to implement these things in the first place, in my new build i have, 120mm insulation in the floor, 75mm in the walls, 100mm loose fill in the ceilings, pv panels, thats probably £7k in insulation and energy saving on just a small 2 bed house, i doubt i would get anywhere near a £7k saving.

It depends on how long you stay there doesnt it, if energy prices continue to rise like they have you will be surprised. But apart from that I can tell you that come your first winter you will appreciate it . I grew up in a totally un-insulated house , no central heating and single glazed metal framed windows . It was common to have ice on the inside in the winter. I know what I prefer

If we had done it years ago it would be paid for by now as we have been here 18 years, another 3 or 4 years and we will be making money on the improvements we have made that time will fly by

It depends on how long you stay there doesnt it, if energy prices continue to rise like they have you will be surprised. But apart from that I can tell you that come your first winter you will appreciate it . I grew up in a totally un-insulated house , no central heating and single glazed metal framed windows . It was common to have ice on the inside in the winter. I know what I prefer

If we had done it years ago it would be paid for by now as we have been here 18 years, another 3 or 4 years and we will be making money on the improvements we have made that time will fly by

Well no not really, even if i save £500 a year (which i wont), its still going to take 14 years to see any return and by then the systems will have been superseded and will need replacing anyway, my current home built nearly 15 years ago is perfectly fine (no wall/floor insulation/basic wood double glazing), bills are very modest. The regs today to meet sap calcs are just ridiculous, i missed my first year regs by not building in time and had to update to current regs, floor insulation jumped 50mm, thats well over 50%, wall insulation up 25mm which is 50% in one years updates and the best bit, if i open a window because i like fresh air, its all a total utter waste of time as any heat retained has just gone out the window, literally!

I would agree that having wooden windows with gaps you can put your hands through makes no sense. But neither does spending tens of thousands of pounds on something that could well be superseded in 5 years time. There is a sensible mid point but plastering your building with solar panels and mini windfarms in your garden is just going to not make its money back. Aside from the fact your house will look hideous :lol:

• Like 1

I'm convinced Musk is a real life super villain in waiting.

What powers do you think he has?

He'd be able to defy gravity using electromagnetics, so he can fly up to at least 10 miles above the earth (before the gravitic field is too weak to take advantage of). He is a master of electromagnetism, so he can pull metal objects toward him or repel them, but not to the same degree as Magneto. He can summon and channel lightning like Thor.

Does he have super strength? How can we justify that? Amlpified electric signal from the nerves to the muscles?

Discuss!

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

He'd be able to defy gravity using electromagnetics, so he can fly up to at least 10 miles above the earth (before the gravitic field is too weak to take advantage of). He is a master of electromagnetism, so he can pull metal objects toward him or repel them, but not to the same degree as Magneto. He can summon and channel lightning like Thor.

Does he have super strength? How can we justify that? Amlpified electric signal from the nerves to the muscles?

Discuss!

He has the same powers that Bruce Wayne has .....money

One superpower Musk clearly has is the ability to generate money....

Made his first $300 million before the age of 30, before getting involved with PayPal/Tesla. As we all know its actually the geeks who rule the world, and Musk nailed the geek look!!

Screen-Shot-2017-01-04-at-4.11.42-PM.png

One thing he does have in common with all young kids with too much cash and little driving skill is the ability to crash very expensive cars, wrote off a F1 which he bought after making his first $300 million....May be this why his made Tesla's 4WD, come with a stupid amount of safety kit standard, and let you walk away even in a big crash :)

His actually seems like a bit of petrol-head, his previous car list would am sure be met with approval even on here ;)

BMW 320i, Jag XK, M5, 911, Lotus Esprit S1.

McLaren-F1-after-crash-1024x562.jpg

http://www.teslarati...sk-drive-tesla/

Edited by gangzoom

Discuss!

He's a real life lex Luther......wait n see.

What's the situation with the Model 3 in the UK. Anyone with £1000 down on the waiting list starting to question if Tesla can deliver a quality £35k car by 2018.

Why would you question Tesla's ability to deliver the car when they are pretty much at final production spec?

https://www.teslarati.com/new-model-3-photos-surface-pointing-300-mile-range-interior-details/

If your wondering about UK delivery I don't think your see RHD cars till 2019, simply because I think Tesla will have so much demand for the car first in the US and than China.

Musk has apparently agreeded a 60 day delay in payment to parts suppliers, which essentially means if they can build/deliver/get cash for the car within 60 days from parts arriving at the factory each Model 3 that comes off the line is pure profit generating without any upfront costs to Tesla, essentially like printing money. This is one of the main reasons wall Street value Tesla to be worth more than Ford.

So if Tesla have enough North American demand I cannot see Tesla shipping to any other markets till well into 2019, and am pretty sure they will have plenty of demand from North America.

After North America itll be China who gets priority, China is Teslas second biggest market despite their cars attracting a massive 50% markup in price due to import traffis, so the cheaper 3 will be lapped like a cat given some warm milk.

I have a feeling the RHD market will be way down on the list, and probably just in time for Brexit outcomes to be known.... All current Teslas in the UK currently come from a central distribution centre in Holland, Tesla doesn't import directly to the UK to keep costs down, so that will have to change.

Edited by gangzoom

Was a genuine question as my neighbour is big into EV's and has deposit down thinking he'd get a car by next year.

This is what I was questioning, and the price, whats the price going to be in 2019. Drivetrain aside isn't the 3 meant to rival mid range cars for price otherwise people will just stick to buying £20-30k petrol cars.

Haven't they limited the first run of cars options to only colour and alloys to speed up production.

Prices on Ev's will drop massively in a few years and the technology will improve. Like with every other electrical home appliance/product. My first Panasonic plasma TVs was £6000.

The price of teslas is ridiculous and they feel cheap for the money. I know loads love them but I'm not a fan and never will be.

• Like 1

Was a genuine question as my neighbour is big into EV's and has deposit down thinking he'd get a car by next year.

This is what I was questioning, and the price, whats the price going to be in 2019. Drivetrain aside isn't the 3 meant to rival mid range cars for price otherwise people will just stick to buying £20-30k petrol cars.

Haven't they limited the first run of cars options to only colour and alloys to speed up production.

Price of the 3 will be £25-30k at lower end, and I suspect it'll be very easy to spec one to £45-50k.

Initial options will be only RWD and 55kWh battery but Tesla add on new specs like most other car manufacturers changes in pricing, I fully expect the 'P' dual motor version to be in customer hands by 2018.

Personally I think the chances your neighbour of getting their RHD car next year though is 0% chance, as I say Tesla will simply have too much demand from the North American and Chinese markets to care about RHD market for a good few years. RHD cars also take 4 months+ to generate revenue due to time it takes to ship, this compares to 30 days max for US cars. Given investor will be watching Tesla revenue like a hawk in 2018 I simply don't see why Tesla would push RHD production so soon after launch.

The Jag iPace is looking like a serious potential Tesla alternative, though pricing is expected to be £60k+before options so wouldn't be cheap.

We got either the Model 3/iPace or Model Y down as potential replacements for my wifes car. Wouldn't be for a goos few years yet as need to save up the required amount.

Edited by gangzoom

Prices on Ev's will drop massively in a few years and the technology will improve. Like with every other electrical home appliance/product. My first Panasonic plasma TVs was £6000.

The price of teslas is ridiculous and they feel cheap for the money. I know loads love them but I'm not a fan and never will be.

Same, to my mind a vehicle like the X is excess nobody needs a 90k+ EV SUV. Day to day it does nothing more than a 50k SUV would and over the course of ownership will not save you the difference from the purchase price. Neither is it a positive impact on the planet when you factor in cost to build, ship and disposal once it's no longer of use. Also the annual service costs of £1400 for the first two services is horrendous imo considering what the actually do.

• Like 1

As stated when the cost comes down and EVs are mainstream, as a family wagon I think the X is an ideal pioneer for the cause.

People like GZ are the pioneers of the new tech, out of my budget by 70k but the concept is great.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

^ Watching that just makes me miss our old car, the loaner is alright but really could have done with 6 seats this weekend and black seats look so boring compared to the white.

At least our replacement car is now built but still another 6-8 weeks before delivery :(

36117649920_d6580aa0ed_z_d.jpg