Home project - Raspberry Pi3 into Playstation1

Bonus points if you wire up the motor to make it spin :thumbs:

Progress on this! I removed some of the unnecessary components to free up more space in the centre for the Pi, and found the 2 power cables for the motor. Touched them onto a AA battery and hey presto! The spindle spins :D

Now to try and work out if it can support 5V as that would be much easier - I can take power right from the micro USB, and maybe add a small latching switch under the lid to turn it on / off.

• 2 weeks later...

Been generally busy lately with work and honeymoon planning, so this has taken a back seat. But managed to spend a little time on it yesterday. All of the components have now arrived including the power management board allowing me to leverage the existing power & reset button on the playstation. I'm saving that headache for the weekend.

My focus at the moment was getting the stock controller ports on the front of the chassis converted to USB. On the back of the controller panel is the circuit board with pins for the 2 controllers and the 2 memory cards. Each controller has 9 pins which line up with the USB adapter I purchased. The tricky part was soldering small wires onto the back of the panel without crossing any copper lines, then tapping these into the small circuit in the USB adapter.

Below pic shows the end result (my soldering isn't the prettiest). The lower/larger circuit is the back of the Playstation panel, the red wires are running into the back on 'Player 1' and the black wires are 'Player 2'. The smaller triangle circuit is the butchered remains of the USB adapter - you can just about see a small USB male in the lower right of the picture.

I ran a test to ensure that everything was working as expected and to my surprise the Pi detected 2 x controllers!

To test further I decided to play Tekken 3 against myself......I lost :lol:

319785B5-995D-4BF2-BB13-B2CF074F8EA3.jpg

• Like 5

SO was busy last night so managed to grab another hour on the PiStation - I figured I would tackle the power management side of things. To my surprise it wasn't as scary as I had anticipated. This is the tiny circuit board that takes the 5V power input, and distributes it to the Pi based on interactions with the PS power and reset buttons. Board pic below...

090DA878-4AE6-4BC3-8C3C-251DC392A2AB.jpg

To make life easier I added longer wires to the original LED, Power button & reset switch. Then routed them through the old board so they were up top ready to latch onto the power circuit.

C7210A93-098F-47FD-9973-F255D6B32A49.jpg

Then the 'fun' task of soldering the various wires and resistors onto the tiny power board. This took some time.....mainly because a) I'm not that good at soldering, and B) I didn't want to break it and have to order a new one from the states.

1FFCC7E6-43EF-4013-9EA7-B22373FC08D8.jpg

Boom. Job done, and all cables tidied up along the edge.

16E979BB-08C5-4E7C-BAB0-EA4E702A80E2.jpg

• Like 2

That's coming along mate.

Next time your passing ask me for some heat shrink I have loads here from the rewire - it looks nicer that tape - not that it isn't a neat job, just thought it would help :thumbs:

(you don't need a heat gun for it you can use the soldering ion)

Update II.

I finished all of the soldering last night for the power, then spent a fair while working out the best layout for all of the cables and such. In the end this was the best way of doing it. Top external cables are 5V in and HDMI out to TV. All power cables, switches, LEDs and jumper cables are on the left board. Pi is in the middle with all USB bits and bobs attached and routed around the outer edges of the PS base.

126AE454-AF68-4EB8-B032-503CF7FD39C0.jpg

Exterior pic to show the 2 external cables, looking nice :D

8FEA705A-5BF2-4F6B-A6D3-A18AADE73FFE.jpg

Then I ran some scripts onto the Pi which manage the power supply via the GPIO Pins. Worked first time like a charm!! So now both PS buttons work, and the LED too! Super pleased with progress :D

1BCF9C60-0038-4855-9B01-855B36C1FE10.jpg

• Like 6

Any cooling fans going in or are they really not needed?

Cheers Granville.

Should be fine without cooling fans. I have a Pi2 downstairs for the media centre and it's all good. Both of them are running stock power, not overclocked them yet.

I need you to make me one of these.

Happy to help share tips and purchase links. Or even build it up if you - shoot me a PM.

There is a queue already though. My mate wants to convert his broken PS2, and another mate has a broken fruit machine - we're going to create an Arcade Machine :D

• Like 3

Bit more progress yesterday.

I tidied up the internal cables, and routed the SD Card extender to check for room. I wasn't sure it would fit, but luckily it works a treat. It's the white ribbon cable that runs under the Pi, then back up to the Parallel IO Port at the back of the PS.

2A9E9901-3209-4572-95D9-2DCAA5156B05.jpg

Below is a pic from the rear, showing the 2 USB ports with the SD card sat above it. Fits lovely, and is all hidden by the panel cover.

43F3337E-8D49-410D-BFC6-4ECA1CE4B0EB.jpg

As a non gamer (or retired gamer) what makes this worth the effort? Just curious I still think it's a great project and you know I love a good project :thumbs:

What makes it worth the effort? Nothing :lol:

I already have the Pi running 1000's of games via the SD card and can plug it into the TV today, and play with USB controllers. So I am effectively gaining nothing by putting the setup into a PlayStation.

As you say, it is purely just something to keep me busy, and at the end of it I will have a cool retro unit to keep on in the media centre :D

You can buy these already done and inserted into a game cartridge from an original Nintendo. Loaded with 17,000 games they are about £120.

Indeed. My friend has a similar cartridge for an old Mega Drive (or maybe Master System). These units are great but a little restrictive if you wanted to use it for anything else. This setup should run me maybe £60 max and provide me with many thousands of games. But I can also run it as a media centre, YouTube, iPlayer etc etc via Kodi plugins. But in all reality I will likely just use it for Gran Turismo, Destruction Derby and Metal Gear Solid :lol:

Can't think of a better reason than just because I can. good work keep at it

:)

• Like 1

Purchase links and also any links to emulators you've used, would be super useful.

PLLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSE

Will this out next week for you Stu :D Emulator wise I am just running Retropie should come with most emulators built in, you just add the ROMs.....at least that's how it worked last time. I tried to update my 2 year old install on Friday and ended up breaking something. So i will be well versed soon in how to perform a clean install and will report back for you. I tried to upgrade as the new version allows customer video splashscreens. So I plan to use an MP4 of the original playstation boot up screens and sounds.....for additional cool points of course :D

So, other than the need to rebuild the memory card as above. The build is complete. Today I finished up all the wiring for the core functions.....then added the cherry on the cake! I managed to save enough internal space to retain the disk drive! (not functioning, just spinning). I tapped into the 5v power circuit and put a small switch inline with the power. So, anytime the Pistation is powered on, I can flick the switch and spin the disk drive!

The switch, as luck would have it fits perfectly into the last remaining port on the back of the PS! So looks really clean!

I'll grab a video soon so you can see what I'm on about. But here are some pics for now.

136F5B3B-28CF-40E1-9D55-62F3DC2F5587.jpg

1B78A2F4-A4AD-44B1-8CF0-E5CC51A83809.jpg

000E4BED-A8C2-4005-B136-EC7EBFEF20AE.jpg

• Like 2

Brilliant. Would definitely like to see a startup vid with the splash screens and game selection once you're up and running.

On the motor, is there any way you could hook in to the lid opening mechanism to activate it, rather than running on a switch? The grey post in the right rear of the disc tray recess used to control that (you used to have to put blue-tac into it to keep it depressed when doing the disc-swap trick to play copies).

Okay Mattross, you've sold me on this. :teeth:

Im a massive retro games fan. I built my own arcade machine years ago (all emulated), and i've got essentially all mainstream retro consoles in my games room, and 300+ games.

I've been considering selling it all for a couple of months and turning the room into a cinema, with projector and recliners etc, but that's for a different thread. At last count my collection was worth around £3k excl the arcade machine which i wouldn't sell. I very rarely play anything, its just nice to have.

Anyway... I wasn't overly sold on the idea of a Pi until you mentioned the splash screen idea which got my attention. :lol: I've been watching vids all day and have just bought a Pi 3 with Retropie and a load of games pre installed, a basic case, 32gb card and a USB SNES controller. Not bad for £60 delivered. The best part is i can keep this in the lounge and play it a whole lot more than i do with everything now.

Regarding modding like yours... i'll see how it goes but i'm thinking i might build it into an original Game Boy case. B)

A couple of pics of my games room if you're interested.

82E2F9DC-E3AE-4604-ADAE-D12001C0B9A2_zpsmqxuwo36.jpg

F0010A88-824C-4F14-853F-87D1ECF812C4_zpsutpko6ac.jpg

C9D10119-C892-4EF3-9B45-816912621C4D_zpsszdzwxnl.jpg

3AA3886F-AE8B-4F9F-BD11-C462A0334754_zpsz47pvuhy.jpg

E0CA8F01-B357-480D-BE81-60F7FA2146A1_zps9m9zcwvi.jpg

• Like 6

If it spins everytime u open it and its turned on tho u wont be able to see what the game is....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fair point that! I'll stick with how it is for now so I can see the disk.

Awesome man cave stuff!

Dude thats a majorly impressive man-cave setup! The arcade machine looks awesome. I am building one soon with a mate based on an old fruit machine.

I'm hoping to start rebuilding the SD card tonight with the newest version of Retropie....then the fun task of sourcing the ROMs & scraping for Artwork. However the fun part will be loading my new video splash screen. I've an MP4 version of this so really can't wait to try it tonight.......Here's some lovely Nostalgia for you all...

• Like 3

I'm hoping to start rebuilding the SD card tonight with the newest version of Retropie....then the fun task of sourcing the ROMs & scraping for Artwork.

Have you come across this site? http://www.arcadepun...downloads-page/

I've not delved into it yet, but it appears to have a 128gb download which is a full retropie setup. Im assuming it's got all of the sample videos for all the games etc.

Edited by marzman

Have you come across this site? http://www.arcadepun...downloads-page/

I've not delved into it yet, but it appears to have a 128gb download which is a full retropie setup. Im assuming it's got all of the sample videos for all the games etc.

I wasn't aware of that, will definitely be keeping that in a bookmark for future ref! Thanks Marz.

Grabbed an hour (or 2..) on this late last night to try and get the splash screen video working. I spent wasted about 50% of the time trying to SSH into the Pi via my Mac. From my Googling it is super easy to do via a Windows laptop, but all the Mac guides we using Terminal which isn't user friendly. But managed to find a a tip from a guy to FTP via CyberDuck once I had enabled SSH on the Pi. After this it was drag and drop!

I did run into an issue where the splash screen video was being cut short by maybe 4-5 seconds. After some Googling the Emulation Station boot sequence was killing the video early, so adding in some delay worked a treat :D

Anyway. Quick video I grabbed for you lot, apologies for the awful camera work.

• Safe Boot up of Pi via power button (LED on also)
  • PS1 video splash screen, there is sound here but quiet on the video
  • Into Emulation Station menu via PS1 controller
  • Quick demo of disk spinning via switch
  • True shutdown sequence on press of power button
  • LED blinks during shutdown, then all powers off

• Like 4